Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

All those car occupants who dont live nextdoor to bus stops?
    All those car occupants who want to go somewhere that the bus doesn't go?
    All those car occupants who need to be somewhere at a time that doesn't match time tables?
    All those car occupants who need the flexibility to run errands during their lunch breaks?
    All those car occupants who would rather not stand on a cramped bus?
    All those car occupants ....?

You get the picture

Excellent post which demonstrates why this constant talk of busses is not a solution as a large number of people’s simply have no interest in using them as they can’t come close to meeting their transport needs.

This absolute nonsense some people want to see of herding people into cities and subarbs is just that nonsense. Some even trying to ban people from getting planning to build their own house on their own land and instead force people into small 3 bed houses in estates which many people have no interest in whatsoever. Of course there’s will be no planning bands anytime soon but still just seeing people calling for it is going to get me to speed up and get my own planning application in motion sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

bazwraf.... There are lads on this forum that live in fantasy land regarding bus eireann and its ability to provide on time and professional services.
    Take a lot at bus stops as you drive by and witness with your own eyes the frustration and the shear numbers of passengers waiting on buses.
    Let me give you an example of bus eireann and its shocking customer service.
    The park and ride in place for Xmas .
    The last Saturday before Xmas , a line of buses waiting at a city center spot.
    One person gets on board, bus takes off to racecourse.
    I drive down to eyre square 100s of passengers waiting at bus stops with no buses to service them.
    In other words ... Bus eireann don't care about their customers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

bazwraf.... There are lads on this forum that live in fantasy land regarding bus eireann and its ability to provide on time and professional services.
    Take a lot at bus stops as you drive by and witness with your own eyes the frustration and the shear numbers of passengers waiting on buses.
    Let me give you an example of bus eireann and its shocking customer service.
    The park and ride in place for Xmas .
    The last Saturday before Xmas , a line of buses waiting at a city center spot.
    One person gets on board, bus takes off to racecourse.
    I drive down to eyre square 100s of passengers waiting at bus stops with no buses to service them.
    In other words ... Bus eireann don't care about their customers .

Agree with you about bus eireann. What I don't agree with is that its not possible to have a fully functioning public transport system in a city/town the size of galway. Just because so far there has been no political will to create a proper system with a proper company running the system doesn't mean that we all have to accept that. The idea that single occupancy cars are the only transport mechanism is not just physically lazy but also intellectually as well and we should not let the powers that be get away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Your Face wrote: »
    The word "similar" is confusing you there.

OK so perhaps elaborate on how "similar" your proposal for Galway will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Excellent post which demonstrates why this constant talk of busses is not a solution as a large number of people’s simply have no interest in using them as they can’t come close to meeting their transport needs.

This absolute nonsense some people want to see of hearding people into cities and subarbs is just that nonsense.

If you want to live out in the sticks and work in the City - then so be it, but there are consequences for those actions. If people are not going to switch to more efficient transport modes then they will become the CAR traffic.

You talk about "herding". You and these people you refer to as a herd, well you are already in a "herd". Just doing it in reverse.
    There are CAR commuter "herd's" driving into Galway City in the morning from every direction and CAR commuter "herd's" driving back out again in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

This evening thanks to the lights out at Terryland is probably the worst I have ever seen traffic in Galway at commute time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

motley wrote: »
    This evening thanks to the lights out at Terryland is probably the worst I have ever seen traffic in Galway at commute time.

Has been many years since I've seen it this bad.

If they cannot fix Galway traffic, you would hope they could at least keep what they do have consistent. A few traffic lights down .. gridlock

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

motley wrote: »
    Worse than
    Novena,
    Races,
    SchoolBooksBuyingseason,
    DeadSaintRelics at Cathedral,
    EdSheeranConcert,
    GAA event in Pearse

But lads ....there's a system in city hall that's working the traffic lights in this city.
    Same bull**** every day in this village .
    Clowns getting paid well ....NOT TO BE ABLE TO DO THEIR JOB

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Unfortunately what is happening this evening won't make any difference whatsoever to the traffic problems in Galway. Nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

But lads ....there's a system in city hall that's working the traffic lights in this city.
    Same bull**** every day in this village .
    Clowns getting paid well ....NOT TO BE ABLE TO DO THEIR JOB
    What's your solution to all the cars clogging the cities roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

motley wrote:

****ing apocalypse. Total mismanagement and almost third world situation. I have no words. Total shock. Dublin Road stuck from Bohermore up to Merlin Park and possibly beyond.

Ben.schlomo.....I've posted many times on this forum what I beleive should be done . Yet again this is going around in circles .
    The key to getting anything done anywhere is having someone in charge that knows what they're at.
    Galway obviously doesn't / hasn't .... And it appears ....NEVER WILL

Looks like area east of Corrib is choked by cars - where did they all come from? oD8HOYW.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ben.schlomo.....I've posted many times on this forum what I beleive should be done . Yet again this is going around in circles . The key to getting anything done anywhere is having someone in charge that knows what they're at. Galway obviously doesn't / hasn't .... And it appears ....NEVER WILL

Village mentality. Too rural. Peripheral region as well. Hard to do anything with this mindset. Maybe needs a generational change and young more educated/experienced people but the local schooling system isn't great so no high hopes sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

An absolute ballbag of a city and that’s from a Galway man.city planners should be pulled out on the Dublin road by the 2 ears tonight and kicked up and down the fukn road.
    The city of a million fukn traffic lights.should carpet bomb the fukn lot into dust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

An absolute ballbag of a city and that’s from a Galway man.city planners should be pulled out on the Dublin road by the 2 ears tonight and kicked up and down the fukn road.
    The city of a million fukn traffic lights.should carpet bomb the fukn lot into dust

Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

How about we keep the tone somewhat civil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Proper park and ride facilities along with a non-local congestion charge for outsiders refusing to use them would be perfect.

In fact I can see this happening in Dublin and Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Ben.schlomo.....I've posted many times on this forum what I beleive should be done . Yet again this is going around in circles .
    The key to getting anything done anywhere is having someone in charge that knows what they're at.
    Galway obviously doesn't / hasn't .... And it appears ....NEVER WILL

Why do you think posting it here would make a difference to the problem?

Would you not be better off sending your suggestions and complaints to those accountable for the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

djPSB wrote: »
    Why do you think posting it here would make a difference to the problem?

Would you not be better off sending your suggestions and complaints to those accountable for the issue.

Excellent point. There are different campaign groups in galway that you could join. I'm part of a group that campaigns on public transport and cycling issue's but there are others as well that have focuses on things like their local area, getting Greenaway's connected to the city etc etc

djpsb....do you honestly think anyone in city hall listens to suggestions ???
    That's like holding up a mirror to them suggesting that they haven't a clue,
    what they are at .
    Galway is at this stage of traffic problems for a reason.
    The people making the decisions do not know what they are at .
    They are never going to relinquish that power.

To point out that pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, train users, horseriders, are not complaining
    It's private car users and their congestion, that also affects buses, that are affected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

zell12 wrote: »
    Worse than
    Novena,
    Races,
    SchoolBooksBuyingseason,
    DeadSaintRelics at Cathedral,
    EdSheeranConcert,
    GAA event in Pearse

Dead saints relics at the Cathedral still ranks as the worst traffic ever for me... Just about though! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Why is traffic so bad this evening? It’s at a standstill at 20.00hrs

Bodkin junction lights failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s a million sets of traffic lights bet in on top of one another and every one of them is on red.when they are green you can’t go anyway because the next set is backed up onto your one.a consaw out and cut them out and land them out in Galway metal where they should be.bring back the roundabouts and let things flow as they did.
    And apologies to Connemara man for the poor language earlier but this craic boils my blood into steam.
    How many sets of lights from oranmore to eyre square?no need for one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

djpsb....do you honestly think anyone in city hall listens to suggestions ???
    That's like holding up a mirror to them suggesting that they haven't a clue,
    what they are at .
    Galway is at this stage of traffic problems for a reason.
    The people making the decisions do not know what they are at .
    They are never going to relinquish that power.

If there was a protest with a few thousand people outside their offices they have no choice but to listen.

I hear alot of people complain about the issues but don't see any structured public movement to lobby for a solution.

djPSB wrote: »
    If there was a protest with a few thousand people outside their offices they have no choice but to listen.
    I hear alot of people complain about the issues but don't see any structured public movement to lobby for a solution.
    Well there is a Gluas meeting on Monday. We elect Connolly and at least she's trying hard unlike the other four
    The public meeting at 8pm on Monday night in the Harbour Hotel is a further step in the campaign for an integrated public transport system, including light rail, for Galway. Deputy Connolly is appealing to everyone, including public representatives, to attend the meeting and to join the campaign.
    http://catherineconnolly.com/gluas-a-light-rail-system-for-galway-public-meeting-8pm-24th-september-harbour-hotel-galway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Left athenry at 5.15pm arrived knocknacarra 7.45pm . The worst i have ever seen it.. there were two guards at the junction but there should have been more directing the side lanes off the main routes. Actually thought of packing my job in today if this is the foreseeable future, it's bananas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement