Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another thing that needs to be addressed is that stupid maroon tourist train going at 2 miles an hour, certainly doesn't help the traffic situation, it should be restricted to certain roads and kept away from Eyre Square and the like.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another thing that needs to be addressed is that stupid maroon tourist train going at 2 miles an hour, certainly doesn't help the traffic situation, it should be restricted to certain roads and kept away from Eyre Square and the like.
    Finally we've found the reason for Galways traffic woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh - keeping a tourist attraction away from the easiest location for tourists to identify and find???

Has it ever slowed you down more than a bicycle does?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Oh, he has his eye on cyclists already. They're the next on his list to round up and "restrict"...
    TO DEATH

Having people driving in from Mayo, Roscommon, Limerick coming here to work is madness.

Absolutely not madness, it’s the future. This country can be one where you can live anywhere, and have a viable life. It’s the difference between having viable rural communities where you can live close to where you grew up, to depopulation of villages leaving ghost towns between large crammed population centres. Galway has to play its part in supporting the country, and to do that it must be open to the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Absolutely not madness, it’s the future. This country can be one where you can live anywhere, and have a viable life. It’s the difference between having viable rural communities where you can live close to where you grew up, to depopulation of villages leaving ghost towns between large crammed population centres. Galway has to play its part in supporting the country, and to do that it must be open to the country.
    I agree.
    Just not open to so many single occupancy cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If you think that's a viable future, heaven help us.
    People driving 60-90 minutes to work.
    Dropping off and collecting kids from childcare at dawn and dusk.
    Double income homes spending large chunks of their income on travel expenses.
    Huge shopping centres on the edges of our largest population centres while local shops and businesses collapse.
    The country needs more rural development to stop the collapse of rural societies, not less.
    Tuam, Loughrea, Athenry, Gort, Balinasloe need more investment, so the local populations can exist and thrive there.
    Packing it all into Galway city is choking the city and hurting all the counties inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't think they the 'powers that be" in Galway realise the impact of the traffic problem on the economy. I work in Shannon and in the 6 months we have started to specifically target Galway based people for high end jobs, and we have been very successful and now have people from all over Galway city and the county, athenry, oranmore, kinvara, craughwell, Gort etc. Galway people are far happier to consistently travel 60 minutes each way on a motorway rather than a random and very variable number between 30 and 100 minutes on stressful, bumper to bumper, the inducing roads.... Great for my employer, bad for my county....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

So basically you say you want to be a country of villagers, right. You know that Irish urbanisation rate is only about 61%, quite low in European standards.
    Also, people living in the rural areas should take care of the area and be farmers. What you suggesting is villagers who are not farmers inhabiting rural areas.

Addle wrote: »
    I agree.
    Yeah and build a dual carriage way to every village and "town" and suffocate by exhausts?

• Advertisement

I’m not talking about what I want. I’m thinking about what people do. Go look at the turf cutters, the greenway objectors, the Georgian society in dublin, the objections to the lifesaving helipad at UCHG for want of another GAA pitch. Everyone defends their own patch, to hell with the rest. Rural people want the option of remaining rural. Urban people want the option of remaining urban. You’re not going to get everyone into the same box. No one can proclaim a great ism to rule them all. They will all push to get their option, and if I want anything, then i want everyone to have as wide a pool of life options as the geography will allow.

Edit: just to add, an example of what transport links do for rural communities. Big med device company in Galway. Bunch of lads from Ballinasloe working at that company decide they want to branch out into supplying the company. Set up in Ballinasloe. Create jobs in Ballinasloe.
    How could they have got the experience if they couldn’t get to Galway?
    How could the Ballinasloe plant supply into Galway without good links?

Now, let’s turn that around into Clifden.
    Would you see that happening?
    No?
    Oh I do wonder why?

Addle wrote: »
    I agree.

I fully agree with this. Galway city shouldn’t have any through traffic, and decent cross-city cycleways would make it a better destination in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

McGiver wrote: »
    Yeah and build a dual carriage way to every village and "town" and suffocate by exhausts?

Less cars=less traffic, not more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s a morning like this morning with the rain falling that you truly realize what an utter ball bag of a set up Galway is.every single fukn light red and they backed up onto the next set.
    A set of traffic lights on the main Galway to Dublin road that prioritize traffic off the coast road and lets 3 cars through at the time.
    Every single fukr driving then on the phone and about 3 percent of them who use an indicator.
    And the gimp then with his fukn updates on traffic on Galway bay fm shouting into his speaker.”yeah it’s still bad”.
    No sh1te Sherlock.whats the point of having that lad on talking sh1te.
    Boll1x to Galway and it’s traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It’s a morning like this morning with the rain falling that you truly realize what an utter ball bag of a set up Galway is.every single fukn light red and they backed up onto the next set.
    A set of traffic lights on the main Galway to Dublin road that prioritize traffic off the coast road and lets 3 cars through at the time.
    Every single fukr driving then on the phone and about 3 percent of them who use an indicator.
    And the gimp then with his fukn updates on traffic on Galway bay fm shouting into his speaker.”yeah it’s still bad”.

If you were in a CAR while witnessing all of this - then you are the CAR traffic.

I found traffic quite light this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Oh, he has his eye on cyclists already. They're the next on his list to round up and "restrict"...
    I have it on good authority that the Claddagh Swans will be next on that list. The elephant in the room however......

I hate that Galway Transport twitter account, anytime Bus Eireann try something they are there having a go. I'm no fan of BE and think that the service in Galway is a shambles but during the week BE tweeted that they were running buses to the ginger twats gigs this weekend every 20 minutes and the first reply is Galway Transport with their usual unhelpful and pointless observations "Only every 20 minutes? Thats ... disappointing".

I assume that they want a bus every 10 minutes or so, wonder how happy they would be if BE took off come 409 buses and had them run the 401 route. Looking over the page and it's rare to find someone even more clueless than BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'd a lovely cycle in this morning and traffic at 845/9 wasnt at all bad on Ballybane, Monivea, College or Lough Atalia roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

If you've a single journey to work (not dropping of kids) and live within the city limits and also work within the city limits it's a no brainer to cycle. Some people won't have the fitness for it at first but this will come in a surprisingly short space of time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

People living within the city need to get off their holes and start walking/cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Pugzilla wrote: »
    People living within the city need to get off their holes and start walking/cycling.

Yeah! Screw those guys!

Round 'em up along with the cyclists and the tourist train!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

topcat77 wrote: »
    If you've a single journey to work (not dropping of kids) and live within the city limits and also work within the city limits it's a no brainer to cycle. Some people won't have the fitness for it at first but this will come in a surprisingly short space of time.
    Very doable with kids as well. And yes, the fitness needed for cycling is not huge. Anything under 15kms (one way) should be manageable for nearly all able bodied people.

jjpep wrote: »
    Very doable with kids as well. And yes, the fitness needed for cycling is not huge. Anything under 15kms (one way) should be manageable for nearly all able bodied people.
    Yeah, but 15 kms is too much. I'm cycling 5kms, used to do 7 kms one way and that's enough, and I'm quite fit.
    You know 15kms when it's pissing and headwind on top is not very pleasant experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

It's not for everyone, but motorcycles work great in Galway for commuting. With the right gear you can arrive to work even in torrential downpours completely dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I hate that Galway Transport twitter account, anytime Bus Eireann try something they are there having a go. I'm no fan of BE and think that the service in Galway is a shambles but during the week BE tweeted that they were running buses to the ginger twats gigs this weekend every 20 minutes and the first reply is Galway Transport with their usual unhelpful and pointless observations "Only every 20 minutes? Thats ... disappointing".

On a side note, you live in Ireland. Together with Scotland there's prob the highest % of ginger people, a native hair colour. Out you go nomad

As stated, bus lanes, faster and cheaper to implement and they could be used by taxis, cyclist's and private bus companies.

Bus lanes negate the effects of congestion. Combine them with bus priority at junctions and its a no brainer.

I'm all for light rail, I think the Luas is the best thing to happen to Dublin transport in the last 50 years.

However, building a line to go from the airport to Parkmore defies all logic. It makes no sense, either because of cost, time to implement, amount of CPO's, etc etc etc.

Essentially you want a state of the art light rail system to go 5km from a car park to a factory

Bonkers!

Bus lanes for more carcinogenic diesel buses. If they were electric, CNG or LPG, or hybrid at least then maybe.
    But I somehow don't see the bus lanes anywhere. And where would put them? You know that tramway gauge is 1000mm and the trams are typically 2200mm wide so you don't need that much space as for a bus lane.

Doesn't have to be state of art, no. And as mentioned before it would be more than 5kms and would encourage further growth along the line. From Knocknacarra to Parkmore and even to the Oranmore.

Bus lanes for more carcinogenic diesel buses. If they were electric, CNG or LPG, or hybrid at least then maybe.
    But I somehow don't see the bus lanes anywhere. And where would put them? You know that tramway gauge is 1000mm and the trams are typically 2200mm wide so you don't need that much space as for a bus lane.

Doesn't have to be state of art, no. And as mentioned before it would be more than 5kms and would encourage further growth along the line. From Knocknacarra to Parkmore and even to the Oranmore.

Totally agree about the emissions, but that will take time but not that much. From 2019 or 2020 (can't recall which) the NTA won't be buying any more diesel buses, instead going for electric.

Bus lanes are on the way. The city and county councils were told in no uncertain terms that BE will not expand services much beyond their existing level without bus lanes. Not to mention that bus lanes can be utilised by regional buses, cyclists and taxis.

Trams won't happen for Galway for well on 50-75 years and even then it will more likely be an underground given the narrow streets of the city and the move towards expanding the pedestrian network.

I'm a believer in mass transit like light rail, underground etc but it's a longggg way off for Galway city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Yeah, but 15 kms is too much. I'm cycling 5kms, used to do 7 kms one way and that's enough, and I'm quite fit.
    You know 15kms when it's pissing and headwind on top is not very pleasant experience.

Yep, but it's more pleasant than being stuck in a car - or at least it is for me. Today was not great weather wise but still very doable. Although admittedly probably only doable because I have a shower at work. Kid wears water proofs (and the cycle to the school is only a few minutes).

And honestly on the fitness thing, I am neither young nor in great shape but it only took me a couple of weeks to get used to it and now I would never go back to commuting by car full time, even if there wasn't all the car traffic problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Electric bikes would probably take care of all that. I've tried one and it removed the pain of hills and headwinds and only needed a change of tshirt instead of shower at the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement