Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

These so called "problems" are not insurmountable though. Galway has a ring road, the N6. Could do with another bridge though. Unlike Oxford, yes Galway is "hemmed" in by the water from two sides, however Galway City is the destination.
    Yes but they quite significantly restrict the options... I can't see a bridge built along the railway line in Renmore and second bridge over the Corrib as I propose. Bridge building is more complex, from technical as well as regulatory/approval point of view, especially the one in the bay.

Thankfully we don't live in a communist state in which I would expect something like the above to be enforced. Really I can't comprehend how anyone would want to live in a society where people are being forced to live in a certain location its a completely ludicrous suggestion.

It's not about communism or enforcing anything, but city Councils plan, should plan and must plan. Either restricting urban residential development where population movement causes issues or encouraging development where population movement is not causing issues certainly is part of planning city councils have to do. Especially when you have serious housing and traffic issues actually harming quality of live of the residents and economic competitiveness of the city, which is exactly Galway's case.

Galway stagnates and will keep doing so until chaotic development is replaced with actual planning.

Discodog wrote:
    Oxford has the river Thames running through the city centre.
    Nope, that's the Thames channel (man made), not the actual river Thames which runs on the western side of the city. And there are 10 bridges over that channel (6 in the centre). Don't want to nitpick, but the topology and circumstances are quite different. The only thing similar is the medieval town centre (of which very little is left, basically just the castle).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thankfully we don't live in a communist state in which I would expect something like the above to be enforced. Really I can't comprehend how anyone would want to live in a society where people are being forced to live in a certain location its a completely ludicrous suggestion.

People should be entitled to live where they choose, proximity to work is only one of many reasons people choose a location things like being close to family, wanting to live in a particular area, affordability, value for money etc are all more important reasons for most. Also people change jobs, do you suggest they have to move every-time they change jobs? If so its an even crazier suggestion.
    Sure, people can live where they choose.

But they can't expect the transport systems and infrastructure to be based around their own personal preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://twitter.com/cosaingalway/status/1044508351110041601

Looks like the way forward. Each of those kids is potentially one less car on the school run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Looks like the way forward. Each of those kids is potentially one less car on the school run.

Yep, excellent to see. Was organized by one of the teachers at the school I believe. Would be great to see something similar for some of the other schools in the city but the lack of any infrastructure at all would be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

That kid on the footpath is definitely getting a bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, cos walking is to much higher impact than using a wheely-thing, and needs so much parking space too.

The sad bit is that the cyclists think that seeing the kids might encourage adults to ride. Will it what: it just reinforces that cycling is for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yeah, cos walking is to much higher impact than using a wheely-thing, and needs so much parking space too.

The sad bit is that the cyclists think that seeing the kids might encourage adults to ride. Will it what: it just reinforces that cycling is for kids.
    Lay off the sauce there MrsOB.

Ok, well the snarky tone aimed at the 5-10 Yr old kids, I'm going to leave that alone

As for the second paragraph, cycling encourages cycling, doesn't matter the age. All that is needed is safe, segregated infrastructure. London, Lisbon and other cities proved this time and time again with cycling numbers sky rocketing once proper facilities were put in place.

Galway is no different.

• Advertisement

As for the second paragraph, cycling encourages cycling, doesn't matter the age. All that is needed is safe, segregated infrastructure. London, Lisbon and other cities proved this time and time again with cycling numbers sky rocketing once proper facilities were put in place.

Induced demand. Exactly the same as with the roads. Build them and they will come. If you build more roads you'll get more cars. If you build cycle paths you'll get more cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’d see it differently. It reinforces early in life that cycling is a viable alternative to car based travel over relatively short distances. The child takes this through his or her adult life and learns to treat cyclists with respect and equals on the road when driving. The car centric mindset in Ireland is that a cyclist is seen as an object on the road - not a person - to be passed at all costs, with little thought of the danger posed when doing so.

I’d see it differently. It reinforces early in life that cycling is a viable alternative to car based travel over relatively short distances. The child takes this through his or her adult life and learns to treat cyclists with respect and equals on the road when driving. The car centric mindset in Ireland is that a cyclist is seen as an object on the road - not a person - to be passed at all costs, with little thought of the danger posed when doing so.

You're right - a cycling child will more likely lead to a cycling adult.

But my experience with some mixed-age settings now is that seeing current children do X does not make current adults think "ahh, I could do that". Instead, at least subconsciously they say "X is for kids".

The more I think about it, of course the Knocknacarra cycle "bus" is going to be successful: the school has recruited a group of garda-vetted volunteers who take responsibility for making sure that kids get to school safely. The parents will love it: there's a higher chance that the kids will get there without mitching, with almost no parental input required. What a bonus: they can head to work earlier, and the kid gets exercised.

I genuinely hope they can find the resources to keep it going long term. But I equally suspect that the volunteers enthusiasm will burn out once they realise how the parents will use this new service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You did notice that the kids had parents cycling with them, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

But my experience with some mixed-age settings now is that seeing current children do X does not make current adults think "ahh, I could do that". Instead, at least subconsciously they say "X is for kids".

The more I think about it, of course the Knocknacarra cycle "bus" is going to be successful: the school has recruited a group of garda-vetted volunteers who take responsibility for making sure that kids get to school safely. The parents will love it: there's a higher chance that the kids will get there without mitching, with almost no parental input required. What a bonus: they can head to work earlier, and the kid gets exercised.

I genuinely hope they can find the resources to keep it going long term. But I equally suspect that the volunteers enthusiasm will burn out once they realise how the parents will use this new service.

Well hopefully they'll get used to not having to drop their kids to the door of everything and they'll let them to walk/cycle/bus to more things. Then they'll grow up and carry the habits into adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You’re really overthinking this to find fault with the scheme Mrs O’Bumble.

It’s a good idea.

That’s that.

Stop complaining about everything.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You’re really overthinking this to find fault with the scheme Mrs O’Bumble.

It’s a good idea.

That’s that.

Stop complaining about everything.

Maybe she can suggest an alternative, realistic, and workable scheme instead? :P

McGiver wrote: »
    Maybe she can suggest an alternative, realistic, and workable scheme instead? :P

Already done. See post 1080 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108110092&postcount=1080

This is a discussion forum, not a happy little echo chamber where people only say nice things about other people's ideas. I discuss. If you don't like that, boards has an ignore function, use it.

Having schools or community groups take responsibility for providing home-to-school transport for urban kids is a major social change. The government provides it (using registered vehicles and licensed drivers) for rural kids and special needs kids. Extending this to an urban area, and using especially to vehicles that offer significant wander-off freedom to the kids is major.
    The people behind the cycle-bus initiative must have had to put together a significant amount of training and procedures just to ensure basic child and adult safety and get their public liability insurance to cover it. So I am genuinely impressed by what they've done. And I hope to hear back from them in six months time about how well it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

some actual movement on this.... I do believe it's necessary but anyone thinking this is the silver bullet to solve our traffic problems is not engaging with reality. It has to be done in conjunction with P&R, Better cycling infrastructure and an increase in bus lanes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cabinet-to-run-rule-over-600m-galway-ring-road-1.3648098

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That road ain't the solution. In the long run it will **** Galway up even more.

• Advertisement

How much traffic is being caused by West<->East travel? I thought numbers showed most people were coming from the East of the county to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »
    How much traffic is being caused by West<->East travel? I thought numbers showed most people were coming from the East of the county to work?

Your right - the Councils own figures show the same.
    Thats why its no longer officially called a "BYPASS", rather the "Galway City Ring Road." People are not bypassing Galway City.
    Galway City is the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ring-road approved by cabinet

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/1002/1000477-galway-bypass/
    A proposal for a long-awaited Galway city bypass has been signed off by Cabinet today and will now proceed to the planning stages.

Up to 40 properties are located on the proposed route and are likely to be demolished if the plan goes ahead. All affected landowners have been notified.

Traffic congestion in Galway city is an all too familiar sight.

Now, the rubber-stamping by Government of the planned Galway city ring road marks progress in what has been a painstakingly slow process.

The N6 Galway City Transport project has been years in the planning.

A previous proposal to construct a city bypass was blocked on environmental grounds in 2013. It was back to the drawing board, so planners unveiled six possible routes to deal with Galway's chronic traffic congestion.

A so-called "preferred corridor" was identified for the ring road in 2015, and will run from the M6 motorway to a point west of Bearna village.

The N6 project will include the building of both dual and single carriageway routes, as well as two sections of tunnel - one of them close to Galway Racecourse and the second section on the approach to the river Corrib. A new bridge is also planned to be built over the river.

Planners say the proposed route does not impact on habitats that are protected under EU law.

Galway County Council can now go ahead and seek planning consent from An Bord Pleanála for the new bypass. Once the application is placed before the planning board, it will be subject to an oral hearing. The local authority says the M6 project is robustly designed to withstand anticipated legal challenges.

As well as residents along the routes, the Chamber of Commerce and NUI Galway have been steadfast in their opposition to a route that goes close to the city centre.

Other opponents of the project say the potential for a public transport solution has not been fully examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So more ribbon development and money that should have been put into public transport or cycling is going to be wasted instead on not solving the current problems but just creating new ones to go with them.

We're not great at learning from our mistakes are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Fantastic news

Galway County Council can now go ahead and seek planning consent from An Bord Pleanála for the new bypass. Once the application is placed before the planning board, it will be subject to an oral hearing. The local authority says the M6 project is robustly designed to withstand anticipated legal challenges.
    They said that about the last one as well. That did not work out so well for them (or the Citizen taxpayers).

The following is interesting though
    As well as residents along the routes, the Chamber of Commerce and NUI Galway have been steadfast in their opposition to a route that goes close to the city centre.
    Is this true?

They said that about the last one as well. That did not work out so well for them (or the Citizen taxpayers).

Is this true?

Dunno for certain but I think the route is cutting straight through NUIG sports grounds in Dangan so I'd assume they're against it. It'll be a shame to lose that space. Fantastic resource in terms of green space near the city. Now it'll just be another road :(

Edit: Just realised you were only highlighting the Chamber of Commerce part. Don't know about them.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Dunno for certain but I think the route is cutting straight through NUIG sports grounds in Dangan so I'd assume they're against it. It'll be a shame to lose that space. Fantastic resource in terms of green space near the city. Now it'll just be another road :(

NUIG position has been clear for a few years now, but the Chamber of Commerce? This is an interesting development if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is this true?

The key to this working is it must always be quicker to use the bypass than driving through the city. If it's too far out then this won't always be the case.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    The key to this working is it must always be quicker to use the bypass than driving through the city. If it's too far out then this won't always be the case.

Are you talking about the Galway Chamber of Commerce position here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement