Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are you talking about the Galway Chamber of Commerce position here?

No idea what that is. Have the park & ride sites been defined so that they can be integrated into the road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

McTigs wrote:
    some actual movement on this.... I do believe it's necessary but anyone thinking this is the silver bullet to solve our traffic problems is not engaging with reality. It has to be done in conjunction with P&R, Better cycling infrastructure and an increase in bus lanes.
    Yes, i.e. reduce demand for cars and increase demand for walking, cycling and public transport.
    Hildegarde Naughton said: “This is the most significant transport infrastructure project that has ever been proposed for the west. It represents a key part of a solution to our traffic problems, and a new chapter for the future development of Galway city.â€
    She lies and she knows it, that's why the careful wording. If someone calls her out in 5 year's time, she will say "well, it was key part but the rest didn't work, so sorry."

McTigs wrote:
    some actual movement on this.... I do believe it's necessary but anyone thinking this is the silver bullet to solve our traffic problems is not engaging with reality. It has to be done in conjunction with P&R, Better cycling infrastructure and an increase in bus lanes.
    Yes, i.e. reduce demand for cars and increase demand for walking, cycling and public transport.
    Hildegarde Naughton said: “This is the most significant transport infrastructure project that has ever been proposed for the west. It represents a key part of a solution to our traffic problems, and a new chapter for the future development of Galway city.â€
    She lies and she knows it, that's why the careful wording. If someone calls her out in 5 year's time, she will say "well, it was key part but the rest didn't work, so sorry."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

jjpep wrote: »
    So more ribbon development and money that should have been put into public transport or cycling is going to be wasted instead on not solving the current problems but just creating new ones to go with them.

We're not great at learning from our mistakes are we?

Why not do both?

I'd be hoping the ring road will lead to bus corridors being implemented elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anybody know what was going on this morning? Traffic was backed up the length of Lough Atalia from the Galmont all the way to at least GMIT (heading out of the city).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Why not do both?

I'd be hoping the ring road will lead to bus corridors being implemented elsewhere.

Because building both costs a fortune and money doesn't grow on trees. And there's also that you won't need a ring road if you put the sustainable transport infrastructure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

zulutango wrote: »
    Because building both costs a fortune and money doesn't grow on trees. And there's also that you won't need a ring road if you put the sustainable transport infrastructure there.

You think the powers that be really have the capability to put such a structure in place? 20 years talking about this ring road and we are only this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »
    Anybody know what was going on this morning? Traffic was backed up the length of Lough Atalia from the Galmont all the way to at least GMIT (heading out of the city).

I cycled by it this morning - no breakdowns or incidents. Just the usual car traffic clog up. Wait till Bonham Quay is built, how the main Galway Port Road i.e Lough Atalia Rd is going to cope will be interesting.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    HOPE , where is the evidence of the concrete plans to say this will happen? They have spent 5 years drawing up the Urban Expressway Dual Carraigeway plans - will they start now on the bus corridors?

FitzShane wrote: »
    Ring-road approved by cabinet

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/1002/1000477-galway-bypass/
    As well as residents along the routes, the Chamber of Commerce and NUI Galway have been steadfast in their opposition to a route that goes close to the city centre.

Looks like the line in the RTE report re Galway Chamber was not fully correct

in the following piece in the Irish Examiner goes into it in a bit more detail:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/businesses-welcome-plans-for-galway-ring-road-873072.html
    Businesses in Galway have given a cautious welcome to the news that the cabinet's given the green light for plans to build a bypass around the city.
    The Galway City Ring Road is an essential part of the overall transportation strategy for the city and Galway Chamber urges Galway City Council to accelerate the implementation of the elements of that strategy that are not entirely dependent on the Ring Road.

• Advertisement

I cycled by it this morning - no breakdowns or incidents. Just the usual car traffic clog up. Wait till Bonham Quay is built, how the main Galway Port Road i.e Lough Atalia Rd is going to cope will be interesting.

I cycled too. Days like this are what I keep in mind on the wet mornings I have to force myself to walk past the car to the bike :D

Just glad to hear there was no major accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Anyone interested in galways traffic .....tune into galway bay fms keith finnegans show from this morning.
    Galway city manager ( Mr Brenden McGrath) spoke about all the major changes coming down the line .
    The key of course is the ring road .
    But a lot if other changes coming including ....
    No on street parking on certain roads
    New pedestrian bridge on salmon weir
    Proper cctv traffic light system
    Lough atalia going back one way
    College road one way ..BRING IT ON

Anyone interested in galways traffic .....tune into galway bay fms keith finnegans show from this morning.
    Galway city manager ( Mr Brenden McGrath) spoke about all the major changes coming down the line .

Nice one. Any mention of a timeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t think I’d have any faith in any of his promises, except unlike a politician, he can’t be voted out!!

Xckjoo .... Ring road to be opened completely in 2026 .
    However they will be able to open up parts of it as needed before that .
    I was impressed by Mr McGrath .
    What I got from the interview was that there are major changes coming down the line and not just the ring road .
    New bus corridors to park more etc.

Xckjoo .... Ring road to be opened completely in 2026 .
    However they will be able to open up parts of it as needed before that .
    I was impressed by Mr McGrath .
    What I got from the interview was that there are major changes coming down the line and not just the ring road .
    New bus corridors to park more etc.

I get the feeling he's wants to make big changes but is threading carefully to minimise backlash.

Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2026 to see some of those changes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

That all sounds encouraging. Any mention of cycle lanes/infrastructure?

Yes jjpep .... high on his priorities along with public transport .

Yes jjpep .... high on his priorities along with public transport .

High on his priorities, just not as high as the ring road. We'll be waiting a long, long time before we see the right transport infrastructure in Galway. By that time Galway will have stagnated and will be little more than a glorified Killarney instead of the major western population centre that it should be.

sure just put in cycle lanes and get us all on high nellies.
    There's no pleasing some people .
    It's not just about bikes.
    It's about people's choice of transport .
    It's about pedestrians.
    It's about buses .
    It's about cars .
    God it's even about BIKES !!!!

• Advertisement

sure just put in cycle lanes and get us all on high nellies.
    There's no pleasing some people .
    It's not just about bikes.
    It's about people's choice of transport .
    It's about pedestrians.
    It's about buses .
    It's about cars .
    God it's even about BIKES !!!!

It's about easing congestion, it's about taxpayers money, it's about the most beneficial development of Galway. This isn't about fighting for one's own corner. Galway should make the best decision for itself. It should abide by best transport planning practice and not pander to ignorance, which is what it is currently doing.

It's about easing congestion, it's about taxpayers money, it's about the most beneficial development of Galway. This isn't about fighting for one's own corner. Galway should make the best decision for itself. It should abide by best transport planning practice and not pander to ignorance, which is what it is currently doing.

Proposing a multi modal solution involving solutions for bus, car, cycle and pedestrian users is literally the opposite of what you just said

Proposing a multi modal solution involving solutions for bus, car, cycle and pedestrian users is literally the opposite of what you just said

The only solution, if unpalatable to many, is for a lot of motorists to become cyclists and public transport users. Then the existing road network will be more than good enough for the remainder to must drive.

Oh man - not this again.
    Is one lane going to be a BUS Lane?
    Creating huge one way gyratory's like this so close to the City Centre is a clear indicator / sign of failure when it comes to Urban planning.
    They tried it before as a standard dual carriageway - traffic speeds at off peak times went up big time.

What traffic .... The mistake they made regarding one way sytem on college road was they didn't put speed cameras along it .
    Put proper signage warning motorists that they are driving in a neighbourhood that they must keep their speed low .
    It's coming in as is the one way system along laugh atalia .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only solution, if unpalatable to many, is for a lot of motorists to become cyclists and public transport users.

And walkers.

Also, I don't think we should fixate on any one form of two-wheeled vehicle: Yesterday I watched an e-scooter travel up the Parkmore Road, and was impressed by how much less space it took than a bicycle, and how much less intimidating it was. No parking need either: these could easily fit inside most apartment buildings or office cubicles.

(Yes, I'm aware of the regulatory restrictions (http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Two_Three_Wheeled_Vehicles/FAQs%20on%20E%20Bikes%20and%20Pedelecs%20and%20battery%20Scooters.pdf) and think that it's mad that you must be licensed / registered and insured to use a scooter but not a bicycle. But the principle still applies. Smaller vehicles (motorbikes, bicycles, scooters, tricycles, etc) are ALL part of the solution.

What they have in common is that they are almost-always individual vehicles: one person, one set of wheels. As solutions, they don't scale as well as shared vehicle options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Also, I don't think we should fixate on any one form of two-wheeled vehicle: Yesterday I watched an e-scooter travel up the Parkmore Road, and was impressed by how much less space it took than a bicycle, and how much less intimidating it was.
    This account has to be a troll at this stage, nobody can be this bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thargor wrote: »
    Also, I don't think we should fixate on any one form of two-wheeled vehicle: Yesterday I watched an e-scooter travel up the Parkmore Road, and was impressed by how much less space it took than a bicycle, and how much less intimidating it was.
    This account has to be a troll at this stage, nobody can be this bad :rolleyes:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-we-develop-certain-irrationa/
    Might be of help to the poor divil.

Looking forward to Bonham. It will cause a traffic failure, and finally force people to stand up and kick out the clowns off the council.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote:

It's about diversity and options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement