Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

John_Rambo wrote:
    Back on topic. The ring road is an expensive and okish idea for a bad situation. The one off housing planning disaster has to be catered for at everyone's expense. If it's integrated to park and ride facilities it could be great.

Not going to be the case. What will come to the P&R? A horse cart? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The same fines as anyone else who breaks the laws about having lighting on your vehicle.

IMHO light coloured clothing should also be a legal requirement - but it's not as yet.

That is your most deranged post yet. So black clothing should be made illegal? How about Navy? Royal Blue? Dark Brown? My wardrobe is going to take a massive hit.

You do know that everyone is a pedestrian at some point. Were you on the sauce last night?

By the way I'm totally in favour of fines for people cycling without lights, it's already the law but like everything else the Garda don't enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

*MOD Warning*

The tone in here better start getting civil fast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Apologies for the personal nature of my post.

Whilst I sometimes disagree with Mrs O'Bumble I just found that particular post hugely illogical but I should not have used the language I did.

However, the idea of mandating a specific colour palette for people cycling to have to follow is absurd. It also seemed to reference pedestrians also or did I mis-read it?

Will the next suggestion be for a separate colour scheme for public transport users whilst car drivers can wear what they like? What happens when the car drivers leave their car, will they have to change tops then?

Is it only tops or jackets that must be light in colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The same fines as anyone else who breaks the laws about having lighting on your vehicle.

IMHO light coloured clothing should also be a legal requirement - but it's not as yet.

Maybe light coloured cars as well? Or maybe paint them hi-vis. They’re involved in many more collisions, especially when it comes to cyclists and pedestrians.

I don’t disagree though on lights - it’s highly irresponsible (and illegal) to cycle in the dark without lights. Mind you, I have some fairly expensive lights on my bike back and front - real quality ones - that I use day and night. And wear a hi vis bag cover. Drivers still put my life needlessly at risk though, even when I take these measures. And two managed to knock me off my bike because they apparently didn’t see me. Imagine that? A 6’2” cyclist lit like a Christmas tree and people still can’t see you apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Plenty of a$holes behind the wheel and In the saddle,I see it every day. Both are regularly in the wrong. Pointless arguments.
    True, both are regularly in the wrong. Though the a$$holes in the saddle don't kill three or four people each week.

And all cars should be light coloured too, given the evidence that shows that bright coloured cars are safer?

I'd totally support that. It's mad making them colours that blend and are hard to see.

Also support electric cars having noise generation.
    Good to hear of your support, though it is interesting to note that you didn't propose any of these suggestions yourself. Your suggestions seem to be focused on the group of road users that don't kill people.

However, the idea of mandating a specific colour palette for people cycling to have to follow is absurd. It also seemed to reference pedestrians also or did I mis-read it?

Leaving the absurdity aside,the main issue with this notion is that it would further discourage cycling uptake as a method of transport aimed at commuting. We need exactly the opposite, encourage it as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

McGiver wrote: »
    Make it 10 then. That's still one order of magnitude higher than cars...

A bicycle on the road is as big as a car. Allowing for the 1 metre or 1.5 metres the bike is as wide as a car & because of it's slow speed, as long as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Discodog wrote: »
    McGiver wrote: »
    Make it 10 then. That's still one order of magnitude higher than cars...

A bicycle on the road is as big as a car. Allowing for the 1 metre or 1.5 metres the bike is as wide as a car & because of it's slow speed, as long as a car.
    Provide cycle lanes and there's no issue. And also most cars don't give next or near a meter let alone 1.5.

• Advertisement

Provide cycle lanes and there's no issue. And also most cars don't give next or near a meter let alone 1.5.

Along every road ? A cycle lane is a very long bike.

Along every road ? A cycle lane is a very long bike.
    Not reasonable to expect one everywhere but many city roads can and should have one e.g Lough Atalia, Dublin Rd, Headford Rd, Monivea Rd and parts of Tuam Rd off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Incorrect. Cars have very low transport efficiency. Bicycles have far greater throughput using the same space but buses are higher again, then trams, then heavy rail like DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That is pure twisted logic, if every bike that went into Dublin on a daily basis took up the same space as a car as you claim the city would cease to function, same for every city on the planet, how do you explain that if they use the same space as a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Thargor wrote: »
    That is pure twisted logic
    There is no logic to it - unless Discodog can produce some kind of logic that has evaded Transportation Engineers Worldwide for decades now.

https://nacto.org/publication/transit-street-design-guide/introduction/why/designing-move-people/

There is no logic to it - unless Discodog can produce some kind of logic that has evaded Transportation Engineers Worldwide for decades now.

https://nacto.org/publication/transit-street-design-guide/introduction/why/designing-move-people/

Yes, can we please use actual evidence when making bold claims, not "me thinks, he thinks".

For example:
    http://ec.europa.eu/environment/archives/cycling/cycling_en.pdf

Page 9. Number of people crossing a 3.5 m-wide space in an urban environment during a 1-hour period. Light rail 10 times higher than car. Cycles 7 times higher. Hence most progressive cities on the continent have light rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's just ridiculously warped, tunnel vision, naive thinking Discodog.

About once every two weeks I drive in to work with heavy equipment and I'm one of those chumps sitting in traffic on my own in a car.

Every other time I'm cycling passed single occupant cars. I'm one less chump sitting on their own in their cars.

Take a look at this video from this thread and tell me this cyclist is taking up as much room as a car or is causing tailbacks and snarl ups in Galway.
    Good video on twitter that I spotted this morning.
    https://twitter.com/DaithiOCodaigh/status/1042868720513769472
    - guy cycling home from Parkmore via the N6. Really shows how the CARS clogged up the roads creating the CAR traffic on the N6 once the Bodkin Junction lights failed

Seriously. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Traffic backed up to the Oranmore exit this morning. Getting worse every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

chrismon wrote: »
    Traffic backed up to the Oranmore exit this morning. Getting worse every week.

Happens every year: the apprentice block courses at GMIT have started. It'll get better temporarily at mid term and properly after Christmas.

Thargor wrote: »
    That is pure twisted logic, if every bike that went into Dublin on a daily basis took up the same space as a car as you claim the city would cease to function, same for every city on the planet, how do you explain that if they use the same space as a car?

Where did I say urban? Every day I drive out out Galway & every day there is a queue trying to pass a cyclist. Today it was a line of three cyclists who decided to ride so close together that they were almost impossible to pass safely.

In town you struggle to pass a cyclist, allowing for the one metre & then you stop, he overtakes & you have to queue to pass again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Where did I say urban? Every day I drive out out Galway & every day there is a queue trying to pass a cyclist. Today it was a line of three cyclists who decided to ride so close together that they were almost impossible to pass safely.

In town you struggle to pass a cyclist, allowing for the one metre & then you stop, he overtakes & you have to queue to pass again.

Sounds like you would be in favour for a proper segregated cycle infrastructure.

jjpep wrote: »
    Sounds like you would be in favour for a proper segregated cycle infrastructure.

Yes. But if I am not allowed to drive in the cycle lane then they can't ride on the road :pac:

Yes. But if I am not allowed to drive in the cycle lane then they can't ride on the road :pac:

But then you'd have to overtake cyclists again... :-)

You get the point though. Proper infrastructure that people will want to use means less cars on the road. Which improves things for people in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But then you'd have to overtake cyclists again... :-)

You get the point though. Proper infrastructure that people will want to use means less cars on the road. Which improves things for .... everybody

Fyp

Fyp

100% correct. A properly done cycle infrastructure does benefit everyone.

Are we danger in reaching some kind of consensus about something that might improve Galway's traffic? :-)

Just need NOX to come in and say he's in favour next...

Fyp

100% correct. A properly done cycle infrastructure does benefit everyone.

Are we danger in reaching some kind of consensus about something that might improve Galway's traffic? :-)

Just need NOX to come in and say he's in favour next...
    You'll be waiting!!

You'll be waiting!!

That's for sure.

Cycle lanes, particularly segregated ones are nothing but a waste of valuable road and parking space.

That's for sure.

Cycle lanes, particularly segregated ones are nothing but a waste of valuable road and parking space.

...and there he is, right on time :-)

But wouldn't you like to be able to drive around on less congested roads NOx? Or do you just really like sitting in the car?

That's for sure.

So just to be clear, when I pass through Leeson St bridge in Dublin and see 50-100 cyclists going each direction on the segregated cycle track, you'd prefer to have those 50-100 people back in their single occupancy cars instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

So just to be clear, when I pass through Leeson St bridge in Dublin and see 50-100 cyclists going each direction on the segregated cycle track, you'd prefer to have those 50-100 people back in their single occupancy cars instead?

If he's not moving nobody should be moving. Traffic is a zero sum game ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement