Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That's for sure.

Cycle lanes, particularly segregated ones are nothing but a waste of valuable road and parking space.

Lol, Yeah we should prioritize more space for (largely) 20% full vehicles travelling distances that can be sometimes travelled by cycling or (gasp!) walking. And of course parking. More of this so we can clog up already crowded streets with more space for people to store their private property. Irish towns and cities are perfectly suited to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Buildings are the real problem. Knock them all down, tar the whole thing and the traffic problems will evaporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Mr_A wrote: »
    Buildings are the real problem. Knock them all down, tar the whole thing and the traffic problems will evaporate.

Disagree. It's people that are the problem. They should be banned from entering the city! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did they ever find out why the lights failed at Bodkin a while back?

Or was it a strategic test of impression to drive through the bypass plan? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

xckjoo wrote: »
    Disagree. It's people that are the problem. They should be banned from entering the city! :pac:

Good point. A vast expanse of tar inhabited only by thousands of empty driverless vehicles should be the ultimate aim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cycle lanes, particularly segregated ones are nothing but a waste of valuable road and parking space.

Backwards again Nox!! Cities are made for people, not cars, here’s the priorities;

1 - Emergency vehicles

2 - Pedestrians

3 - Public transport

4 - Cyclists

4 - Essential and local vehicular traffic (maintenance)

5 - Light electric vehicles

6 - Private cars*

*Private cars having the most negative impact on emergency vehicles along with causing the majority of road accidents that have the need for emergency vehicles.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Where did I say urban?

You’re on a thread about the city in the Galway City forum. But you do have a point, and it’s been made before on this thread. Bad planning that has led to car dependency in rural Galway has a massive negative effect on the city as each and every single person tries to get in and out of the city in a car built for four or six people.
    Today it was a line of three cyclists who decided to ride so close together that they were almost impossible to pass safely.

If it’s not safe to pass don’t pass. Just drive behind them like I do, you’re most likely rushing up to a red light or heavy traffic anyway.
    In town you struggle to pass a cyclist, allowing for the one metre & then you stop, he overtakes & you have to queue to pass again.

Again, don’t pass them if you can see ahead that you’re going to have to stop anyway! That’s a waste of fuel, it’s a pointless overtake and it just frustrates the cyclist and (obviously) yourself.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If it’s not safe to pass don’t pass. Just drive behind them like I do, you’re most likely rushing up to a red light or heavy traffic anyway.

This always puzzles me when I cycle. You'll have drivers in a mad rush to pass you only to join the rest of the cars stopped 5m up the road. Everyone is in a rush to go nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://connachttribune.ie/top-architect-brands-galway-as-dominated-by-cars-404/
    "
    An internationally-renowned architect has said that Galway City is lacking vision and is dominated by cars, with motorists getting priority over pedestrians and cyclists.

In addition, Angela Brady, former president of the Royal Institute of British Architects and chairperson of the Royal Institutes of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI), agreed that the authority most benefiting financially from car parking in the city should not be the same one investing in transport and urban planning.
    "

https://connachttribune.ie/top-architect-brands-galway-as-dominated-by-cars-404/
    "
    An internationally-renowned architect has said that Galway City is lacking vision and is dominated by cars, with motorists getting priority over pedestrians and cyclists.

In addition, Angela Brady, former president of the Royal Institute of British Architects and chairperson of the Royal Institutes of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI), agreed that the authority most benefiting financially from car parking in the city should not be the same one investing in transport and urban planning.
    "

Ya. I know people that have organised events in the city and they're always faced with the barrier of "loss of parking income". I'm pretty sure they calculate the value of each space as (cost per hour) x (number of hours parking limits are in place) i.e. they assume 100% occupancy during pay-and-display times.

I was travelling into work this morning, and had an epiphany.
    More people should take rat runs

• Advertisement

More people should take rat runs

I see what you're at. Get everyone else to take the backroads and there'll be loads of space for you on the main ones. Nice try bazwraf :D

Ya. I know people that have organised events in the city and they're always faced with the barrier of "loss of parking income". I'm pretty sure they calculate the value of each space as (cost per hour) x (number of hours parking limits are in place) i.e. they assume 100% occupancy during pay-and-display times.

Every car parking space is precious for Galway City Council. Largest independent stream they have after Commercial Rates.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/city-businesses-defend-installation-of-plant-pots-at-loading-bay/
    "
    Business owners on Cross Street say the fumes and noise caused by delivery trucks are impacting negatively on their business and that there is an unwritten agreement with the city council for the plants.
    "

I was at work today, and observed an epiphany.
    Fellow colleague at work said that Galway City should have a
    "
    Everybody drive day
    "
    We should pick one day of the year, and anybody who has access to a car but normally leaves it sitting in the driveway/street and who takes the bus, walk or cycle should drive on this day. Lets see how really "Crazy" the City would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Every car parking space is precious for Galway City Council. Largest independent stream they have after Commercial Rates.

Wow weeeeeeee! Galway will never be free of traffic then if the local government funding literally depends on it. :pac:

Wow weeeeeeee! Galway will never be free of traffic then if the local government funding literally depends on it. :pac:

They love the CAR traffic, but do you think any of Galway City Council or Galway County Countil staff are paying for the CAR Parking at the City Centre locations on Prospect Hill and College Road

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The love the CAR traffic, but do you think any of Galway City Council or Galway County Countil staff are paying for there CAR Parking at the City Centre locations on Prospect Hill and College Road

Are they paying for their bicycle parking? Their petrol? Their bus tickets?

The love the CAR traffic, but do you think any of Galway City Council or Galway County Countil staff are paying for there CAR Parking at the City Centre locations on Prospect Hill and College Road

Nor should they or should anyone have to pay for parking at work. Having free parking at work is one of my must haves when looking at a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nor should they or should anyone have to pay for parking at work. Having free parking at work is one of my must haves when looking at a job.
    Your parking space is being partially paid for by your peers who walk or cycle or bus. When are freeloading motorists going to start paying their own way?

Your parking space is being partially paid for by your peers who walk or cycle or bus. When are freeloading motorists going to start paying their own way?

I pay way more than my way with VRT, vat, road tax, fuel excise, vat on fuel, vat on parts, vat on tyres, contributing to the salary of mechanics, tyre centres and fuel stations who in turn go onto spend money on goods and services. Specifically in my own job keeping 4 or 5 people employed in shifts who work security on the car park 18 hrs a day.

Motoring costs should be reduced significantly, road tax is too much, fuel taxes are too high, vrt is an abomination and should be scrapped.. I could write a book on the disgrace that is the over charging of car owners/drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I pay way more than my way with VRT, vat, road tax, fuel excise, vat on fuel, vat on parts, vat on tyres, contributing to the salary of mechanics, tyre centres and fuel stations who in turn go onto spend money on goods and services. Specifically in my own job keeping 4 or 5 people employed in shifts who work security on the car park 18 hrs a day.

Motoring costs should be reduced significantly, road tax is too much, fuel taxes are too high, vrt is an abomination and should be scrapped.. I could write a book on the disgrace that is the over charging of car owners/drivers.

is road tax something from the budget yesterday? :) Sorry, haven’t read the small print yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's called motor tax. It's not a tax for using public roads. It's a tax for owning a harmful emission producing vehicle. Therefore you can only start taxing cyclists and pedestrians if they've been on the Guinness the night before.

You pay none of these things to your employer who provides your 'free' car parking. The actual, real cost of providing that land and the security staff are borne by ALL employees, including those who travel by bus or bike or on foot. So my question stands - when are freeloading motorists going to start paying their way?

And btw, there is no such thing as road tax. If you're referring to 'motor tax'. then it needs to be quite a lot higher to cover the actual costs of the damage done by your engine.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehicles-health-bills-lung-disease-a8384806.html

I could write a book on the disgrace that is the over charging of car owners/drivers.
    Maybe instead of writing a book, you could try reading one instead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Cost_of_Free_Parking
    220px-The_High_Cost_of_Free_Parking.jpg

It's true, lots of employers are paying big money for car parking in the City.
    Anybody know what the rates the IDA are charging in Galway City.
      IDA West Region
    • Parkmore West
    • Parkmore East
    • Mervue
    • Dangan

Firstly I know the official name is motor tax but I refuse to use that term as it is in reality road tax, tax you pay to drive on the road and a tax that should be ring fenced for road maintenance etc to benefit those paying.

I don't have to pay tax on any vehicle I own which is not used on a public so the pedantic nonsense of people refusing to call it road tax is laughable.

You pay none of these things to your employer who provides your 'free' car parking. The actual, real cost of providing that land and the security staff are borne by ALL employees, including those who travel by bus or bike or on foot. So my question stands - when are freeloading motorists going to start paying their way?

And btw, there is no such thing as road tax. If you're referring to 'motor tax'. then it needs to be quite a lot higher to cover the actual costs of the damage done by your engine.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehicles-health-bills-lung-disease-a8384806.html

Maybe instead of writing a book, you could try reading one instead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Cost_of_Free_Parking
    220px-The_High_Cost_of_Free_Parking.jpg

The anti-car propaganda is out in force tonight.

Firstly I know the official name is motor tax but I refuse to use that term as it is in reality road tax, tax you pay to drive on the road and a tax that should be ring fenced for road maintenance etc to benefit those paying.

I don't have to pay tax on any vehicle I own which is not used on a public so the pedantic nonsense of people refusing to call it road tax is laughable.

The law says that it is motor tax. The website name is motortax.ie. The basis for charging is the size and type of your motor. There are many types of vehicles that drive on the public road for low or no motor tax.

It IS motor tax, regardless of attempts to twist it to support your faux victim poor me agenda.

But regardless of what you call it, you don't pay it to your employer. So when are you going to stop sponging off your non-motoring colleagues and start paying for your car?

The anti-car propaganda is out in force tonight.
    If it's all just propaganda, it will be remarkably easy to refute it with a few well crafted facts. I'll wait.

The boards equivalent of "lalalalalalala I know you are but what am I lalalalalala, if I can't hear you, it doesn't count LALALALALALALA".

Personal interpretations aside, the legal name of the tax being referred to is Motor Tax and its payable on any motor vehicle being driven in a public place.

I also, wholeheartedly, agree there is a massive conflict of interest in the council being tasked with making the city livable on one hand, and yet finding their largest stream of income coming from car parking. It's a recipe for poor planning decisions

Instead of going back to the whole car vs bike vs whatever rabble again can we all just skip to the end? It's not going to resolve anything anyway.

Do we all think it's a terrible conflict of interest to be trying to sort traffic while also relying on parking fees as a main source of income? If they're relying on the income to survive how do they get away from that dependency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Do we all think it's a terrible conflict of interest to be trying to sort traffic while also relying on parking fees as a main source of income? If they're relying on the income to survive how do they get away from that dependency?

A million times yes. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and Galway city council won't do anything that affects their parking income.

Now, I do sympathise with their position. Their responsible for a whole number of services, each that need to be funded and all of which put different pressures on the council. But the car traffic issue affects everyone, including the likes of me who generally cycle all the time, so they must start thinking long term and ween themselves off the car parking income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jjpep wrote: »
    .... so they must start thinking long term and ween themselves off the car parking income.

What alternative income streams do you suggest for them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement