Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

What alternative income streams do you suggest for them?

Interesting question. Off the top of my head I would think something along the lines of cutting costs/services and increasing takes from the other existing revenue streams. But this does beg a bigger question around the funding (and services provided by) city and county councils and the role of central government. Reducing car traffic in urban areas should be a national policy target for a number of reasons, the most tangible being the fines we may have to start paying for missing our carbon emission's targets.

In other words, I think there is a role for central government to play in making up for this kind of lost revenue to not just galway city council but other councils too. Local councils that don't charge for public parking may feel aggrieved by this but that's a different discussion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

No traffic at all this morning. Maybe daily orange weather warnings is a solution? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jjpep wrote: »
    .... so they must start thinking long term and ween themselves off the car parking income.

Carbon taxes

Or car-ban taxes, as some might say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Congestion charge.

(only a matter of time before the parking on the Salthill promenade is turned in to cycle lanes)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Congestion charge.

(only a matter of time before the parking on the Salthill promenade is turned in to cycle lanes)

Please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Give Urban authority's in Ireland - the full amount from the LPT collected by Revenue.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/index.aspx

Carbon taxes

Or car-ban taxes, as some might say

Why are you a bigot against those who want to live in the country and drive into the city to work. You disgust me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why are you a bigot against those who want to live in the country and drive into the city to work. You disgust me.

Your attitude to transport and planning represents all that is wrong with the Irish system. ALL that is wrong.

Why are you a bigot against those who want to live in the country and drive into the city to work.

Because you're killing our planet.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Build large overground or underground car parks on the outskirts of city, 4-5km radius close to the major arteries.

Have a daily, weekly, monthly pass subscription that also gives you free access to public transport and a city bike scheme.

• Advertisement

Why are you a bigot against those who live in the city? You disgust me.

See, its easy to type nonsense...

Because you're killing our planet.

You're welcome.

The BS is really out in force now.

Not everyone is happy living in a poky house surrounded by strangers.

nox, you are really off your trolling game lately.

What are strangers to you are neighbours and friends to others Nox.

I appreciate that you don't own any property and as a renter you probably don't engage with you're community, but plenty of people do. Community living is common and enjoyed throughout the world. One off housing is impractical, costly, environmentally unfriendly, they're hard to police and service, they promote unhealthy living and they have far reaching effects!

This very thread is about the city just crazy with traffic. Thousands of single occupant people driving from hinterlands around Galway is a major part of this problem. If they lived in communities, towns, villages or smaller urban centres around Galway they could be easier serviced by public transport but the scattered nature of their dwellings makes this impossible.

What are strangers to you are neighbours and friends to others Nox.

I appreciate that you don't own any property and as a renter you probably don't engage with you're community, but plenty of people do. Community living is common and enjoyed throughout the world. One off housing is impractical, costly, environmentally unfriendly, they're hard to police and service, they promote unhealthy living and they have far reaching effects!

This very thread is about the city just crazy with traffic. Thousands of single occupant people driving from hinterlands around Galway is a major part of this problem. If they lived in communities, towns, villages or smaller urban centres around Galway they could be easier serviced by public transport but the scattered nature of their dwellings makes this impossible.

Check your facts, I own far more property than you could imagine and I have a community next door called my family and neighbors we know for generations!

Look I know you are happy living in a small house, built and designed for you by someone else (and paying through the nose for it) and cycling to work in the rain (and forcing your children to do so also) but many people are not happy with that type of existence.

Not everyone is happy knowing that their children and grandchildren will have the tide lapping around their feed in their poky houses.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report

I suppose the bigger question is why you are so bigoted against those who are actually doing something to solve the problem, to balance out your best efforts to destroy the planet?

Check your facts, I own far more property than you could imagine and I have a community next door called my family and neighbors we know for generations!

Lol.. imagine is the right word!
    Look I know you are happy living in a small house, built and designed for you by someone else (and paying through the nose for it) and cycling to work in the rain (and forcing your children to do so also) but many people are not happy with that type of existence.

Clever property investments makes a tiny mortgage Nox! You'll learn some day! I wouldn't call it small. Modest maybe, but not ostentatious, but importantly we've big gardens and amazing amenities. The kids like cycling. They're healthy and fit and unused to being cooped up in the car staring at phones for hours on end. We're lucky on the East coast here when it comes to the rain as it doesn't rain as much. But we have rainproof clothing that works very well. ;)

Lol.. imagine is the right word!

Convince yourself so if it makes you feel better...

Clever property investments makes a tiny mortgage Nox! You'll learn some day! I wouldn't call it small. Modest maybe, but not ostentatious, but importantly we've big gardens and amazing amenities. The kids like cycling. They're healthy and fit and unused to being cooped up in the car staring at phones for hours on end. We're lucky on the East coast here when it comes to the rain as it doesn't rain as much. But we have rainproof clothing that works very well. ;)

Ha ha modest, why not just call it small. Anything less than 2000sq ft is not fit for purpose for a family imo (leaving aside a proper sized garage and garden).

As for your kids, I’d refuse to bring up a child anywhere but the county side as I would have hated to grow up anywhere else myself and it’s by far the best place for children. Come back to me when your kids get older and can easily walk to the shops and hang around causing trouble.. Being walking distance from any place with the potential to hang around is a disaster for raising kids far better to have to drive them so it’s far easier to keep a close eye on them. Basically everyone from my local town was trouble in school while the the majority who were from country side caused much less trouble.

My wife born and raised in the city couldn’t agree more either.

Ha ha modest, why not just call it small. Anything less than 2000sq ft is not fit for purpose for a family imo (leaving aside a proper sized garage and garden).

It would be small by your standards then!
    As for your kids, I’d refuse to bring up a child anywhere but the county side as I would have hated to grow up anywhere else myself and it’s by far the best place for children. Come back to me when your kids get older and can easily walk to the shops and hang around causing trouble.. Being walking distance from any place with the potential to hang around is a disaster for raising kids far better to have to drive them so it’s far easier to keep a close eye on them. Basically everyone from my local town was trouble in school while the the majority who were from country side caused much less trouble.

My wife born and raised in the city couldn’t agree more either.

We are walking distance from an urban village with shops and amenities and there's plenty of older kids around, but they don't hang around causing trouble. It's simply not that type of area. Another reason we chose to live here.

I disagree with driving kids every. It's part of the reason we have an obesity problem. I bet you you're overweight from driving everywhere!

I don't believe "everyone" from your town was trouble in school. You're always making things up to bolster your arguements.

Back on topic, do you agree with a congestion charge for the city or will that just allow wealthier people to drive in and out.

You'd think someone who can't see any other way to travel than by car would want less other people to do so, so as not to get caught in car traffic jams all the time...

But that's logic so probably won't appeal.

• Advertisement

As for your kids, I’d refuse to bring up a child anywhere but the county side as I would have hated to grow up anywhere else myself and it’s by far the best place for children. Come back to me when your kids get older and can easily walk to the shops and hang around causing trouble.. Being walking distance from any place with the potential to hang around is a disaster for raising kids far better to have to drive them so it’s far easier to keep a close eye on them.
    Yes, it's by far the best thing to drive them everywhere, if your objective is to prepare them for a life of dependence on others, obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In Nox's defence - I understand that his parents do actually own and operate a farm. As farmers, they are the people who should be living in the countryside - and yes, our planning does need to cater for including farming people in society and this means that *some* people will have to drive into the city, or at least to the nearest shared-transport hub, to avail of its amenities.

Now Nox himself seems to have primarily off-farm income, so I'd reckon he shouldn't be living there - unless it's a transitional plan and he will take on the farm when the parents are ready to retire.

And much though I disagree with some of his opinions - he represents a larger component of people in this country than you might imagine. Don't write him, because those opinions need to be addressed.

What I'm puzzled about is why this thread about crazy traffic in Galway is getting such regular participation from someone who openly admits to living in Dublin. Did the cyclists put out a call for reinforcements or something?

.... who openly admits to living in Dublin.

Clearly the crime of the century!! :-)

What I'm puzzled about is why this thread about crazy traffic in Galway is getting such regular participation from someone who openly admits to living in Dublin. Did the cyclists put out a call for reinforcements or something?
    You know how Boards works, right? Fresh threads appear on the home page, and anyone interested can click in and post away. I certainly didn't see any 'call for reinforcements' or anything, but perhaps you should be focussing on the message, not the messenger. I represents a larger component of people in this country than you might imagine. Don't write me off, because those opinions need to be addressed.

In Nox's defence - I understand that his parents do actually own and operate a farm. As farmers, they are the people who should be living in the countryside - and yes, our planning does need to cater for including farming people in society and this means that *some* people will have to drive into the city, or at least to the nearest shared-transport hub, to avail of its amenities.

Now Nox himself seems to have primarily off-farm income, so I'd reckon he shouldn't be living there - unless it's a transitional plan and he will take on the farm when the parents are ready to retire.

And much though I disagree with some of his opinions - he represents a larger component of people in this country than you might imagine. Don't write him, because those opinions need to be addressed.
    All very interesting, but absolutely irrelevant in terms of justifying his daily lawbreaking (as detailed on another thread today) while driving, and his small-minded intolerance of anything to do with cycling, even when the facilities in question would actually make his journey quicker and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Vast majority of European population lives exactly like that.

One of the core issues in Ireland and especially in the West is very low population density. Many issues stemming from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

McGiver wrote:
    Vast majority of European population lives exactly like that.

But how could they possibly be as happy as Nox? Happiness oozes through his posts on this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No one way of living will suit everyone, that's the beauty of diversity. Yes, some will prefer to feel part of a close community, others like their space. No one form of transport should be prioritised ahead of all others. There should be room for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think we'll stop on that last note

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement