Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Afraid not, having car parking capacity affects car traffic. If you remove car parking capacity for car parking on a street - you affect the purpose of the street and the streets close to it. Such a street will no longer become a destination for cars. It does not matter if a car parking space is occupied or not.

Not sure if you're missing my point or just want to get your words out. You'll notice in my original comment that I said it was the cars going to and from the car park that's the problem. That's why we now have boards around town that list the number of spaces available in multiple car parks.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Mrs OBumble, are you a man or woman?

What on earth does that have to do with anything

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What on earth does that have to do with anything

Everything, just answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Everything, just answer the question.

How about, you answer DaCors question first?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mrs OBumble, are you a man or woman?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Sh1t just got weird

Reported. No need to ask anyone’s gender in relation to traffic.

I’m seeing so much talk about traffic in the city, but we’re ignoring the elephant: all traffic from Connemara than needs to go South or East has to enter the city to pass.

You might shrug your shoulders & think it’s of little consequence, but the effort expended in trying to set up jobs is stymied by job losses. Businesses can’t get their product out of Connemara, so they don’t set up there, and those that do pay the price.

http://connachttribune.ie/employment-levels-in-galway-gaeltacht-remain-static-despite-high-level-of-job-creation/

https://galwaybayfm.ie/connemara-aerospace-company-risk-jobs-loss/

Reported.

Boards is a joke, can't say anything remotely controversial and someone starts crying. Pathetic.

One of the Nazi mods will be along shortly to ban me. Oh no.

Galway's traffic woes are caused mainly by people being too lazy and obese to walk/cycle/take public transport.

Boards is a joke, can't say anything remotely controversial and someone starts crying. Pathetic.

Did you post with the intention of being controversial?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Did you post with the intention of being controversial?

God forbid.

• Advertisement

This thread is a s.hitshow anyways, so why not?

Have to say, before I get banned, that Reddit is a far superior platform for discussion.

Bicycles and motorcycles are the answer to the traffic problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But the green-faced Joneses won't notice my PCP-loaded 182G shiny tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not sure if you're missing my point or just want to get your words out. You'll notice in my original comment that I said it was the cars going to and from the car park that's the problem. That's why we now have boards around town that list the number of spaces available in multiple car parks.

No I agree with this point, however the point still stands that having car parking capacity itself creates additional car traffic (even with variable information signs) as a lot of the car parking in the City does not have a "space counters", even when one does have counters people have started a trip and may not always review it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And what does that have to do with Bumbles having cóck or vág you gombeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Donkeys.

Donkeys are the answer.

Alas I am a man or a woman, so I am not the answer.

But I can tell you where to find lots of other answers. WWW.a-b.ie and www.galwaytransport.info have some of my favourite other answers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, stick to dealing with the posts themselves and not the posters. Trying to identify anyone is out of order jawohl?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Galway traffic is weird in that if you use a motorbike and reduce traffic for others they Beep you if you 'skip' them in the queue. Lots of nice people move and are careful but I've only ever been beeped for it in Galway City.

Galway traffic is weird in that if you use a motorbike and reduce traffic for others they Beep you if you 'skip' them in the queue. Lots of nice people move and are careful but I've only ever been beeped for it in Galway City.

Do you have flashing blue lights?

No?

Then wait your turn.

• Advertisement

I reckon that has something to do with the hatred of cyclists you hear so much of. People get upset because they feel hard done by.

No?

Then wait your turn.

And increase the length of the queue? No thank you. I'm perfectly happy for motorbikes to pass me by and get to the front of the lights. They also pay more attention and will be half way up the road before the eejit at the front stops looking at their phone, realises the light has changed, gets into gear and starts moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

No?

Then wait your turn.

Filtering through stationary traffic by motorbikes and bicycles is legal, no blue lights required

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Whats the car/commercial vehicle population now v 5 years /10 years ago, are there stats. Same q re traffic numbers daily of main routes. Are these available . Must be a major increase in volume with little extra road capacity . I Cant drive anymore unless way off peak too slow and boring it was doing my nut. had to take the hit and walk or run in . 2 miles so not too bad.

2 years ago
    DdZAvMzXUAAR5DU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

zell12 wrote: »
    2 years ago

A map from the OSI without a scalebar, for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    2 years ago
    DdZAvMzXUAAR5DU.jpg

Very apt. Covered in todays Connacht!
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-home-to-one-in-four-of-wests-workers-576/
    "
    Of those living in the Galway City labour catchment, 55.3% (38,808) are employed within Galway city and suburbs and 44.7% (31,362) are employed outside the city and in the rest of the catchment and beyond.
    "
    This finally might put to bed the false idea that is trotted out constantly that Galway City's main CAR traffic problem is that everybody in the City works in the East side of the City but live on the West. Issue is the 44.7%

Very apt. Covered in todays Connacht!
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-home-to-one-in-four-of-wests-workers-576/
    "
    Of those living in the Galway City labour catchment, 55.3% (38,808) are employed within Galway city and suburbs and 44.7% (31,362) are employed outside the city and in the rest of the catchment and beyond.
    "
    This finally might put to bed the false idea that is trotted out constantly that Galway City's main CAR traffic problem is that everybody in the City works in the East side of the City but live on the West. Issue is the 44.7%

Maybe I'm missing something but that's not what the article is saying. It's not very well written, but it looks like 44.7% of workers that live in the city are employed in areas outside the city. It also states that there's more than twice the number of workers outside the city than inside the city but doesn't seem to give figures on how many of them are employed within the city. My understanding is that it's a substantial percentage, but no way of telling from that article.

Anybody got a link to the report? That might clear things up.

That news article is misleading
    Report Galway

An outer ring road and new bridge will solve a lot of the problem.

It was already look at and deemed not possible. Ever look at a map of Galway and zoom out? There's literally no room for a ring road without a new bridge and a new bridge would destroy wildlife. That's what the engineering report said at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

It was already look at and deemed not possible. Ever look at a map of Galway and zoom out? There's literally no room for a ring road without a new bridge and a new bridge would destroy wildlife. That's what the engineering report said at least.

Why no one ever suggested building a southward bypass around Renmore, f*cking build a bridge from there to town. There are so many bridges like that in Europe, ever seen the Malmo-Copenhagen one???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement