Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

McGiver wrote: »
    Why no one ever suggested building a southward bypass around Renmore, f*cking build a bridge from there to town. There are so many bridges like that in Europe, ever seen the Malmo-Copenhagen one???
    While there are some similarities the scale (connecting two countries across a sea) is slightly different to what we are facing (moving some commuters around). I am not sure people would be keen paying the 50 euro toll either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    Why no one ever suggested building a southward bypass around Renmore, f*cking build a bridge from there to town. There are so many bridges like that in Europe, ever seen the Malmo-Copenhagen one???

Here ya go ... suggestion from 2015: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94591635&postcount=562

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Galway traffic is weird in that if you use a motorbike and reduce traffic for others they Beep you if you 'skip' them in the queue. Lots of nice people move and are careful but I've only ever been beeped for it in Galway City.

That's mad. Motobikers tend to get good treatment in Dublin. Most drivers will slow to let them pass and help them filter in traffic... or indeed move over for them. Love the foot wave some give!!

I can't say I ever noted any abuse to motorcyclists.
    The only time I thought a motorbike was overtaking stupidly was when he was moving up the right side of a queue when there was an empty bus lane to my left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

not abuse just not the same level of understanding as everywhere else in ireland in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

It was already look at and deemed not possible. Ever look at a map of Galway and zoom out? There's literally no room for a ring road without a new bridge and a new bridge would destroy wildlife. That's what the engineering report said at least.

Ah stop, there is plenty of room. Wildlife is not an excuse. I am sure forcing traffic gridlock into the bottleneck that is Galway has an impact on the environment. We need to build the bridge and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Only issue I ever had was when a huge bike came down beside me and got stuck at my wing mirror. He asked me to pull it in. I said no and he gave me an earful. Now this was not a small bike. It had those boxes on the side and back, making it even larger. If you're bringing that in between other traffic, you can bloody wait.
    Mostly they're fine though, but I wish they'd give a warning, when they're filtering through though. An odd blast on the horn, just to let you know they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭holygoaliefc

Only issue I ever had was when a huge bike came down beside me and got stuck at my wing mirror. He asked me to pull it in. I said no and he gave me an earful. Now this was not a small bike. It had those boxes on the side and back, making it even larger. If you're bringing that in between other traffic, you can bloody wait.
    Mostly they're fine though, but I wish they'd give a warning, when they're filtering through though. An odd blast on the horn, just to let you know they're there.

Ehhh....mirrors???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ehhh....mirrors???

Yes mirrors. Space was tight and he was caught between me and a minibus. He was aggressive and thick as f#ck the way he went about it. When I said asked earlier, it was more demanded. Why would I help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

While there are some similarities the scale (connecting two countries across a sea) is slightly different to what we are facing (moving some commuters around). I am not sure people would be keen paying the 50 euro toll either.
    Not at all. The scale is immensely lower in this case. As opposed to the Malmö bridge. Compared to that this project, in Renmore, would be a child's toy.
    And why paying 50 Euro toll, because they pay it in Denmark? A bit exaggerated and irrelevant, isn't it.

• Advertisement

Ah stop, there is plenty of room. Wildlife is not an excuse. I am sure forcing traffic gridlock into the bottleneck that is Galway has an impact on the environment. We need to build the bridge and get over it.
    I consider myself to be an environmentalist, but I just can't see how one bridge would seriously damage wildlife in the places we are talking about...
    And landfilling the amount of rubbish Ireland does is much, much worse than one bloody bridge over Corrib.

Cheers. TL;DR. What was the conclusion?

Took a drive out Menlo direction on Saturday (Eastern side of the Corrib), I kinda get why it’s kept unspoilt. The village is between Menlo castle gates and the pier is picture-postcard Ireland, thatched houses, lovely walk, the lot. I’m surprised there’s no B&Bs up there, they’d make a fortune. It’s also very hilly, so any roads through would need the viaducts & cuts the current plan is looking for.

I wonder was the low bridge on the Bicentennial put there to stymie growth in Menlo? It was done in New York....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It was already look at and deemed not possible. Ever look at a map of Galway and zoom out? There's literally no room for a ring road without a new bridge and a new bridge would destroy wildlife. That's what the engineering report said at least.

Surely factors such a safety of bog-cotton and integrity of limestone pavement can be sorted out?.

Plenty of bog-cotton and limestone in the West.

I do not claim to be an expert on traffic management but imho a new bridge is part of the solution

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Galway city badly needs at two new bridges over the Corrib, one being part of the outer bypass. The current situation is unsustainable and the existing bridges are a major pinch point for traffic. This is patently clear.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Galway city badly needs at two new bridges over the Corrib, one being part of the outer bypass. The current situation is unsustainable and the existing bridges are a major pinch point for traffic. This is patently clear.

Exactly. All the antis have Galway city alone in their minds, and take on the anti-car push that is sweeping the environmentalist (and wider) world. None are considering, or even acknowledge as significant, the wider journeys that are funneled through Galway from/to Connemara from Eastern & South of Galway.

Exactly. All the antis have Galway city alone in their minds, and take on the anti-car push that is sweeping the environmentalist (and wider) world. None are considering, or even acknowledge as significant, the wider journeys that are funneled through Galway from/to Connemara from Eastern & South of Galway.

Nobody is saying don't build the bridge

Many are saying to make the city unfriendly to the private car

The first is needed for the second to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Nobody is saying don't build the bridge

Many are saying to make the city unfriendly to the private car

The first is needed for the second to happen

I'll admit that I'm personally not convinced a new bridge will be the grand panacea that a lot of people seem to think it is, but I'm accepting of the fact that it'll probably be built. It'll at least change the topic of discussion slightly :D

The problem as I see it is too many single-occupancy cars, making the same trips to and from the same places, at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,122 ✭✭✭✭zell12

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'll admit that I'm personally not convinced a new bridge will be the grand panacea that a lot of people seem to think it is, but I'm accepting of the fact that it'll probably be built. It'll at least change the topic of discussion slightly :D
    How do you convince motorists that they are traffic, causing the problems?
    How to change behaviour? and make it a better society?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From what I have seen there are many who believe that the existing roads are sufficient & don't see the need for a bridge or bypass.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    From what I have seen there are many who believe that the existing roads are sufficient & don't see the need for a bridge or bypass.

Ya well as I said, I'm one of those. Any research I've seen finds that more roads causes more people to drive, and the river isn't the only bottleneck. If the number of cars increases with a new bridge, then those other bottlenecks will get worse.

I'm surprised you've found a lot of people against the new bridge though. I thought most were in favour of it.

zell12 wrote: »
    How do you convince motorists that they are traffic, causing the problems?
    How to change behaviour? and make it a better society?

By making more efficient options the best choice when looking to travel

Discodog wrote: »

So how do you accommodate an increase in the population of Galway of 50% within the next couple of decades?

Are we to keep saying that it's grand and just keep the status quo despite this increase?

Is a 1-2 hour commute in a city the size of Galway acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

I'm 20 years driving in this city . The problem in this city are the traffic lights . In the year 2018 traffic been run by lights on a sequence is a joke . Pulling out the roundabouts is the right thing to do , but they must be replaced by traffic lights . that are operated from 7 am to 10 am and 4 pm to 7pm by personnel watching on cctv. Did ye know there is a set of traffic lights on the Dublin road that the sequence hasn't been changed on them in 21 years . Did ye know out of 4 sets of lights on Dublin road 2 are hooked up to a system in city hall and 2 aren't . The problems are (1) traffic lights (2) allowing on street parking on eglinton street (3) allowing cars / vans to park on foster street (4) allowing right turns at traffic lights when cars can't go by on their left (5) no pedestrian bridge on salmon weir .

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

this thread seems to be going round in circles.

In regard to the bypass / new bridge its worth bearing in mind that

i) It may never get built, or it may take another 10/15 years
    ii) The bypass isn't designed to make car usage more attractive, more of the city roads will be given over to public transport.

We're not really helping ourselves in Galway.

Look at the recent decisions made by the council

The city council development plan states that all large scale developments in the city should contain 30% residential space, however the development at the docks was given approval with no residential element. People will say just build the office space, but will people really want to move to Galway to spend an hour travelling in and out of work ??

The bish was granted planning permission to move out dangan ! why are we moving schools out of the city center to the suburbs ? is it to create traffic ??

Why did the city council kit out a traffic control center without having the staff to man it ?

Having a separate city and county council doesn't make sense either. Ideally there would be one body in Galway tasked with improving the traffic situation in Galway, but this group would need real power to make decisions.

thebackbar wrote: »

ii) The bypass isn't designed to make car usage more attractive, more of the city roads will be given over to public transport.

The city council development plan states that all large scale developments in the city should contain 30% residential space, however the development at the docks was given approval with no residential element. People will say just build the office space, but will people really want to move to Galway to spend an hour travelling in and out of work ??

Ya how the hell did that get the go-ahead? What's the point in having regulations at all if they aren't followed? It's not like having residential space as part of the development would put-off a business from taking the commercial space.

The bish was granted planning permission to move out dangan ! why are we moving schools out of the city center to the suburbs ? is it to create traffic ??
    They've been talking about making that move since at least the 90's. Is it going ahead? The school would argue that they don't have space, etc on the current site. In terms of traffic, I'm not sure what the impact will be because it looks to me like most parents drive their kids to the door these days.

Why did the city council kit out a traffic control center without having the staff to man it ?

Having a separate city and county council doesn't make sense either. Ideally there would be one body in Galway tasked with improving the traffic situation in Galway, but this group would need real power to make decisions.

There was some talk of combining the two of them, but that could be like the talk of the bridge being built and Bish moving. It'll go on for decades before anything might actually get done, and then it'll be a cluster duck :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

thebackbar wrote: »

The lands at Dangan the Bish were looking at were rezoned for school
    Would be good for it given access to sports facilities there the college have.

But I guess the whole thing is up in the air given the fact the new proposed road route goes right through half the Nui sports fields and possibly the Bish site as well, rendering it all a dead duck. Unless there is some deal done to reroute ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I'm 20 years driving in this city . The problem in this city are the traffic lights . In the year 2018 traffic been run by lights on a sequence is a joke . Pulling out the roundabouts is the right thing to do , but they must be replaced by traffic lights . that are operated from 7 am to 10 am and 4 pm to 7pm by personnel watching on cctv. Did ye know there is a set of traffic lights on the Dublin road that the sequence hasn't been changed on them in 21 years . Did ye know out of 4 sets of lights on Dublin road 2 are hooked up to a system in city hall and 2 aren't . The problems are (1) traffic lights (2) allowing on street parking on eglinton street (3) allowing cars / vans to park on foster street (4) allowing right turns at traffic lights when cars can't go by on their left (5) no pedestrian bridge on salmon weir .

This is a very good suggestion, you should send it on to city council and councillors. I think the plan is to pedestrianise Eglinton Street but forcing parking off street ( and into car parks and multistories) could stop a lot of blockages. Theres always spaces in carparks of Hynes yard, Spanish arch etc
    Ditto having a shorter window for deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Traffic in galway as in any city with a large volume of vehicles needs to be run like air traffic control . Would you land planes where there are already planes in that area ??? NO . Take the Dublin road outbound in the evenings . The issue on that road is the traffic lights are not connected together to " flush" it out . 7 sets of traffic lights from huntsman to roscam lights with a roundabout thrown in the middle . Each set of lights coming on a different sequence ???? What you do is a " green wave " of lights and flush the traffic out . Same can be done along west side . Another nonsense is predestrian lights coming on when there is nobody there to cross the road . All I hear is flyovers / bypasses/ bridges etc when it's the traffic lights that's the issue . Here are galways main traffic problems (1) headford road (2) Dublin road (3) Lough atalia along by the docks / Jurys (4) west side (5) bohermore (6) college road ... It's all down to the lights not connected to one another

• Advertisement

Traffic in galway as in any city with a large volume of vehicles needs to be run like air traffic control . Would you land planes where there are already planes in that area ??? NO . Take the Dublin road outbound in the evenings . The issue on that road is the traffic lights are not connected together to " flush" it out . 7 sets of traffic lights from huntsman to roscam lights with a roundabout thrown in the middle . Each set of lights coming on a different sequence ???? What you do is a " green wave " of lights and flush the traffic out . Same can be done along west side . Another nonsense is predestrian lights coming on when there is nobody there to cross the road . All I hear is flyovers / bypasses/ bridges etc when it's the traffic lights that's the issue . Here are galways main traffic problems (1) headford road (2) Dublin road (3) Lough atalia along by the docks / Jurys (4) west side (5) bohermore (6) college road ... It's all down to the lights not connected to one another

The lights are a massive improvement on the rab's that were there before

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement