Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas 5029 spotted today

• 25-04-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I spotted today Luas 5029 in city centre. So it seems after two pilot numbers 5027 and 5028 there are 3 more in service now?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

zom wrote: »
    I spotted today Luas 5029 in city centre. So it seems after two pilot numbers 5027 and 5028 there are 3 more in service now?

I saw it too on the Dawson St/Nassau St corner, I expect them to be reintroduced quietly, can't exactly imagine the NTA wanting a media frenzy over a few extra carriages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there's another press release it'll be after this entire batch is in service and working for some weeks without an above average failure rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have said it on another thread but it seems the Luas BXD media frenzy has died a death all of a
    sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I have said it on another thread but it seems the Luas BXD media frenzy has died a death all of a
    sudden.
    Bus passengers have largely accepted they are second class citizens when it comes to public transport.
    On North Quay routes, most passengers are getting out early and walking to their destination.
    Getting stuck for 20 minutes on Pearse street has now become "normal".
    The LUAS are getting through the city centre easier as buses and taxis have been rerouted.
    LUAS passengers are happy to just get on any tram, and being crammed in is the order of the day.
    The Lord Mayor was in Palestine for some reason.

Like a lot of things in Ireland, we expect poor service and planning is inevitable and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

sudden.

It's just the nature of modern media,allied to the consistently reducing Span-of Attention of the average punter.

it also points to the inherent ability of the Human Race to adapt and cope with changing circumstances,even when the changes are immediately retrogressive or nagative....we get through it...and eventually forget that what we end up with,is in fact worse,than what we began with.

We in Ireland are particularly good at accepting this,whereas,the German,Dutch or Dane might be somewhat more disturbed at accepting base metal in exchange for gold......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

hmmm wrote: »
    Bus passengers have largely accepted they are second class citizens when it comes to public transport.
    On North Quay routes, most passengers are getting out early and walking to their destination.
    Getting stuck for 20 minutes on Pearse street has now become "normal".
    The LUAS are getting through the city centre easier as buses and taxis have been rerouted.
    LUAS passengers are happy to just get on any tram, and being crammed in is the order of the day.
    The Lord Mayor was in Palestine for some reason.

Like a lot of things in Ireland, we expect poor service and planning is inevitable and move on.

He has no say in the matter. If we had a directly elected,mayor he wouldn't be elected fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I see the decision on the College Green plaza has been put back to 2019. Someone has to go on their holibops I suppose.
    Any chance of a car ban on the quays? busconnects perhaps? Anything at all that should have been done 5 years ago?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Any chance of a car ban on the quays?

If only, Dublin as a whole would be so much enjoyable to live in. Crucially, we just lack the infrastructure for that. Plus the AA tend to rear their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,205 ✭✭✭Tow

It was on maneuvers last Wednesday, which also appeared to double as driver training. No passengers.

When did they drop the seconded pantograph? Did they arrive with one or it is the technical solution?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

He has no say in the matter. If we had a directly elected,mayor he wouldn't be elected fact.
    He has a substantial bully pulpit which could have been used to force this issue higher on the media agenda. Instead we have debates about Palestinian flags flying and the Mayor off visiting the Middle East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I see the decision on the College Green plaza has been put back to 2019. Someone has to go on their holibops I suppose.
    Any chance of a car ban on the quays? busconnects perhaps? Anything at all that should have been done 5 years ago?

Grrrrr...just about the worst possible outcome :mad:

But,then again,it is a traditional response to yet another thoroughly predictable occurrence.

I would not be at all surprised if,one or more,of the leading establishment figures involved in this fiasco was on the cusp of retirement and requires a couple more months for the full Lump !

Even Jarret Walker appears to have chosen reflection as an option.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could there be a deferral of plans until there are more later Euro reg buses on the roads to reconsider Parliament Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

hmmm wrote: »
    He has a substantial bully pulpit which could have been used to force this issue higher on the media agenda. Instead we have debates about Palestinian flags flying and the Mayor off visiting the Middle East.

If you have some problem with Palestine please go and disuse it on Politics not here.
    Anyway - I have no idea if Lord Mayor have any authority over national transport system. Even if so, he got elected few months ago, couldn't do much with nearly finished LCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Qrt wrote: »
    If only, Dublin as a whole would be so much enjoyable to live in. Crucially, we just lack the infrastructure for that. Plus the AA tend to rear their head.
    I cringe every time I see a statement like that. The best we can do is cars containing one or two people clogging our cities and infrastructure? That's depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

5027 is now back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tow wrote: »
    It was on maneuvers last Wednesday, which also appeared to double as driver training. No passengers.

When did they drop the seconded pantograph?  Did they arrive with one or it is the technical solution?

Issue with the 5000 series was a software issue with the static converters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thought it was battery faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The static converters had a fairly serious problem. The static converter does charge the battery as well as power all the control and onboard services.
    Battery was not at fault

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

sudden.

Longer Luas trams back after glitch
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/longer-luas-trams-back-after-glitch-ts8sck8nn

I don't think the decision on College Green has been put back to 2019, but rather it's expected by August, possibly sooner, but the way these things go it was commented at a council meeting that it could take until 2019.

Big announcement on bus connects due soon -- NTA talking to councillors etc a lot lately.
    zom wrote: »

At least three and more soon.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Could there be a deferral of plans until there are more later Euro reg buses on the roads to reconsider Parliament Street?

Euro 5 and 6 buses already represents a surprisingly large percentage of the fleet: https://www.dublinbus.ie/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Fleet/

160 Euro 5 and 369 Euro 6 vs 485 of the others.

monument wrote: »
    Big announcement on bus connects due soon -- NTA talking to councillors etc a lot lately.

Any more info on this?

• Advertisement

I've seen 5030 "on maneuvers" yesterday (Friday) - empty with "out of service" on display but with single driver ?
    Tow wrote: »
    When did they drop the seconded pantograph?

Someone pointed wisely here some time ago that having 2 pantographs next to each other can cause issues with carbon stripes on them so Alstom would rather not install 2 pantographs on one tram.
    Issue with the 5000 series was a software issue with the static converters

Is that same system used on old 5000 Luases? Why it caused problems on new one then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Grrrrr...just about the worst possible outcome :mad:

But,then again,it is a traditional response to yet another thoroughly predictable occurrence.

I would not be at all surprised if,one or more,of the leading establishment figures involved in this fiasco was on the cusp of retirement and requires a couple more months for the full Lump !

Even Jarret Walker appears to have chosen reflection as an option.....:(

There's electioneering in the air at the moment, what with FG and FF having a deepening spat and Leo instructing his side to "have at em" when it comes to figures and claims made by the "opposition"

If indeed Leo does decide to go to the polls this year, he won't want a lot of pissed off Dubs spoiling his chances because of the College Green debacle.. best to just let it sit a while until after the big day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Tram 5030 in service this evening.

Like 5029, there is a strong smell of gas both on and around the tram. Does anyone know what this smell is? It is particularly strong and makes for an unpleasant journey.

5029 passed me this morning and there was a strong gas smell as it went by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

KD345 wrote: »

Like 5029, there is a strong smell of gas both on and around the tram. Does anyone know what this smell is? It is particularly strong and makes for an unpleasant journey.

Its not gas, they are new trams hence the odd smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The "gas" smell is nothing new with them.

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/970585578227019776?s=19

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/971663581061279744?s=19

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/971805023658180608?s=19

Like 5029, there is a strong smell of gas both on and around the tram. Does anyone know what this smell is? .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_car_smell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wouldn't worry they will very soon smell of piss and sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I wouldn't worry they will very soon smell of piss and sh1t.

:D

Advertisement