Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters rights?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Graces7 wrote: »
    A neat summing up. I found some fascinating examples on google.

I have a really good example. My grandfather was an engineer and a neighbour came in to ask his advice on the matter. My grandfather was reluctant to help him until he realised the neighbour was genuine and it referred to a field that was abandoned by the owner, who went to Australia after WW2. It's a good long winded story for the pub so I won't go into it, but the property was genuinely 'up for grabs' if you will. The chap who squatted, used it, documented it and before going to court, he looked for the original owner (or their 'issue') in Australia and documented that too (just notices in parish news letters). He was patient and squatted 20 years.

Anyway, the upshot was.. along came the property boom, and early in it, he sold the property for over €3m, it was prime location in Galway. Developers bought it, built gambled, resold apartments, refinanced it. I won't say where it is in case it's controversial, however, the patient squatter was a big contrast to the speculating developers. If the MODs says it's okay I can tell ye the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Greaney wrote: »
    I have a really good example. My grandfather was an engineer and a neighbour came in to ask his advice on the matter. My grandfather was reluctant to help him until he realised the neighbour was genuine and it referred to a field that was abandoned by the owner, who went to Australia after WW2. It's a good long winded story for the pub so I won't go into it, but the property was genuinely 'up for grabs' if you will. The chap who squatted, used it, documented it and before going to court, he looked for the original owner (or their 'issue') in Australia and documented that too (just notices in parish news letters). He was patient and squatted 20 years.

Anyway, the upshot was.. along came the property boom, and early in it, he sold the property for over €3m, it was prime location in Galway. Developers bought it, built gambled, resold apartments, refinanced it. I won't say where it is in case it's controversial, however, the patient squatter was a big contrast to the speculating developers. If the MODs says it's okay I can tell ye the building.

That's a good example of why adverse possession exists, prime land in a good location that is going to waste but its value is propped up by the taxes that we pay. Even if he made money on it, he did the state a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Exactly! I think it's a good example of a) how to do it right, and b) why squatting, occasionally, is not immoral. It does serve a purpose, it was never meant as a way to steal property, but to keep it in use. Which is why (and you'll forgive me for ranting a bit), I do think it's immoral to property hoard. It does seem as if the great Irish business plan is to buy property and wait for... social change???? If one is blessed with a bit of wealth, one has responsibility to 'work it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just updating. All sorted .
    No more wannabbee on the carpark here,,

The authorities have been great.

LirW wrote: »
    I think there was a post on here a year ago or so where a street of houses had a patch of land on the opposite side where everyone was hanging clothes and they realised that it didn't belong to anyone and since it was used for two or three decades by the residents they were able to claim squatter's rights.

I understand that you can to that on every kind of property or land as long as you occupy it for over 12 years and no effort was made to remove you or an owner came forward. Then you can apply for adverse possession but you need somewhat of a proof for the whole thing. I'm not sure if you need to prove your efforts to legally acquire the property.
    Open to any corrections please!

Just updating. All sorted .
    No more wannabbee on the carpark here,,

The authorities have been great.

Incredibly he is back.. his caravan was not removed. Something re a problem with who actually owns the bit of land it is on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Incredibly he is back.. his caravan was not removed. Something re a problem with who actually owns the bit of land it is on...

You need to keep up pressure on the authorities. Even if there is an issue over land title, he still doesn’t have planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Graces7 wrote:
    Man is saying 6 months and someone else that there is a new law saying 12 weeks not years?

Not a chance this is true. The time scale is decades rather than weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sleeper12 wrote: »

From memory- I think it was increased from 13 years to 20 years- a few years ago- I'll have a look later and see if I can find the change...........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

After the travellers hit the land en mass beside Rathfarnham shopping center in the early 2000's and did crazy damage,

I had a business in the area at the time. I thought it was late 80s this happened but regardless the settled travellers up behind nutgrove shopping centre wanted them moved on too. Traveller crime increased in the area & like here on boards.ie people blamed all the travellers in the area even though many had lived there years & had jobs

You need to keep up pressure on the authorities. Even if there is an issue over land title, he still doesn’t have planning permission.

Done! Copious emails sent..and legal advice taken on their content..

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Ah thank you but that was sorted here on the thread thankfully.

Advertisement