Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Beggars

Options
  • 25-04-2018 12:27pm

There are a couple of beggars who hang around outside the shops, pharmacies and garages in the Artaine and Raheny area of Dublin 5. Yesterday, I bumped into another one outside the Topaz in Ballymun.

On the face of it they don’t seem to be exactly living rough, but just hanging around scrounging money off people, passive-aggressively harassing people into parting with their cash. In general, I’ve no major issue with beggars and would regularly offer any odds I have on me. There's one punk who wouldn't even bother to say thanks the first time i gave him anything, so he never got another penny from me.

But on numerous occasions I’ve heard them shouting after people (usually female) “THANK YOU!” as they walk past them without a response. It never really dawned on me until recently how intimidating it could be, when my GF and her mates were discussing going to different shops when they saw these lads hanging around outside, late at night.

I’ve said it to the people in the shops a number of times and they’ve all stated that they cannot do anything about it; when they ring the guards they are told its not illegal to sit on the ground outside a shop and there’s nothing can be done without a crime being committed. If they try to move them on, there’s usually trouble to be had which exceeds their pay grade. So they do nothing.

A couple of nights ago, I went to a petrol station in Artaine and this fella was sitting outside the door smoking rollies and flicking the butts away onto the forecourt. When I pointed out the danger he just told me to “mind your own business”. The bloke behind the till wouldn’t even acknowledge how dangerous it is.

I’ve emailed the head office to see what they have to say, but just wondering what people think of this? Does it discourage you from using certain shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can be a very aggressive one outside either Spar or Centra on St Pappins Road/Ballymun Road junction (usually Spar). If I see him I go to the other shop instead. Full on sarcastic comments shouted if you ignore him etc.

Someone won a court case against our old anti begging laws and the new ones only cover the really severe types like crowding someone at an ATM so nothing is enforceble basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Becoming very common in D.8/D.12 lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

I really wish they'd do something about it. You're tripping over beggars in the city centre these days. I work off Grafton st for the last 4 years and it's the same professional beggars in this area. They are either Roma, traveller women, or heroin junkies. I had a friend here from England last week and was surprised at the amount of homeless. I've lived in the UK and various other countries and never saw anywhere as bad for begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There were 3 on the Seán Heuston Bride at lunch our today, all with signs, so no English being spoken, the bridge is about 30 yards in length so it must be profitable, the amount of them at Heuston station almost every day is unreal

21/25

like who actually gives these obvious pro beggers money? are they stupid? the only reason Roma etc beg is because people keep giving them money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

L1011 wrote: »
    court case against our old anti begging laws and the new ones only cover the really severe types like crowding someone at an ATM so nothing is enforceble basically.
    ^^THIS.

And the fact that I was in Nassau Street few days ago. Beggar in a sleeping bag calls out while middle aged North American tourist couple pass him by. They gave him some money.

:c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I'm finding they are getting way more aggressive. I was going into Spar the other day and on the way in one asked for change. I said I had none and he said 'well you can give me some on your way out'. I felt like I had to justify the fact that I don't carry change and use my card for everything.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Birneybau wrote: »
    Becoming very common in D.8/D.12 lately.

Where are they in D 12? I've not seen any in Crumlin except for one outside the petrol station up near the Ashleaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Where are they in D 12? I've not seen any in Crumlin except for one outside the petrol station up near the Ashleaf.

There's one at Maxol on Crumlin Road/Barn now. Crumlin Shopping Centre as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've stopped going to the Eurospar in Northwood in the evenings now because of aggressive beggars. Not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Birneybau wrote: »
    There's one at Maxol on Crumlin Road/Barn now.

Chap who sits at the hatch after hours? Been there years at this stage.

I had an aggressive one (who I think had just gotten food from Portlaoise Homeless at Central Bank) on Dame St just after 9pm on Saturday... chap followed me and my girlfriend before being told to swiftly "get the **** and stop following us" only to be followed up with a snide remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Plenty of brazen professional beggars around the city centre. It's an occupation for them - on the one hand its almost comical when they pull a brand new mobile phone out of their rags, but it is infuriating seeing them taking advantage of people with good intentions when there is real need elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

People, who don't look homeless (ok, I'm gonna get stick for that i.e they are not looking destitute) but who just hang around the shop with the 'got a spare euro mate'.

FFS that annoys me. They literally are looking for money to go in and buy cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Slightly away from beggars but similar topic - two junkies sitting at the bottom of the stairwell to "Tian Du Hairdressing Centre" at Boylesports on Westmoreland St openingly cooking heroin and about to inject just as the guards pulled up... 6.40pm on a Tuesday evening!

Slightly away from beggars but similar topic - two junkies sitting at the bottom of the stairwell to "Tian Du Hairdressing Centre" at Boylesports on Westmoreland St openingly cooking heroin and about to inject just as the guards pulled up... 6.40pm on a Tuesday evening!
    Jaysus. That's rotten. Are there injection clinics in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

None yet. Should be some this year

I really can't see heroin addicts using those centres much, I doubt they have much fate in any state provided services, and the Garda will probably have their eye on the centres, addicts don't want to be watched even more than they already are.
    I cycle past the Amiens st clinic every day, for years now, and I recognise most of the same addicts that hang around. Due to starting a new job I turn onto Seville place now instead of going straight down Amiens st. I noticed today 2 of the addicts I always see coming out of one of the gafs on Seville place around the corner from the clinic. So at least it's dead handy for them!

I'd agree. I'm not sure why the addicts would bother going to a clinic when they could be just doing it down any lane anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

There is a local shop near the malahide roundabout beside AIB bank. This particular beggar sat outside the shop but was beside the ATM. He would ask for change and if you said no or u didn’t have any, he said sure u can go into the shop and get some. I remember him saying to me that “ah come on you don’t even have a Euro on you or change in your car” he was dressed in very good clothes and the latest runners. He was soo loud I used think it was a tactic to embarrass people into giving him money. He put me off going to that shop.

• Advertisement

Shop ‘n’ go has beggars now? Lol, so much for progress, when I was buying rizlas and 10 blue in there 25 years ago you’d honestly never see the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

There does be one outside kilnamangh sc at the trolley bay annoying you when you get a trolley and when you're putting it back.

He wears a nice pair of Nikes and you often see him tapping away on his iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

again it comes down to society being too soft, where are the guards who are supposed to be on patrol so the ordinary people can go about their business without having to woory daily about these scruffy c##ts.

decky1 wrote: »
    again it comes down to society being too soft, where are the guards who are supposed to be on patrol so the ordinary people can go about their business without having to woory daily about these scruffy c##ts.

It's worse than that. Where's the society morals that makes this type of thing acceptable.

Just back from walking around town on lunch break. They are all over the place. All of them either Roma or just normal looking blokes sat on the ground. I guess it's easy money for them.
    Where are the posters saying it's not as bad as Barcelona etc? It definitely is the worst place for begging I've seen in Europe. I was just in Central America and saw none of this, actually not one beggar in Panama City or San Jose, Costa Rica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'd agree. I'm not sure why the addicts would bother going to a clinic when they could be just doing it down any lane anywhere.
    Clean needles and facilities, someone watching you to reduce the chance of fatal overdose, optional referral to other health services.

But whether those things are actually attractive to the average addict, I don't know :confused:

Just back from walking around town on lunch break. They are all over the place. All of them either Roma or just normal looking blokes sat on the ground. I guess it's easy money for them.
    Where are the posters saying it's not as bad as Barcelona etc? It definitely is the worst place for begging I've seen in Europe. I was just in Central America and saw none of this, actually not one beggar in Panama City or San Jose, Costa Rica.

The whole, give a quid thing to charity even annoys the sh!te out of me.

It's a sorry state of affairs when its seemingly ok for kids or young adults to take time off to stand on grafton street to collect coppers for well deserving charities. You'd think that this country could take care of the sick and elderly without all the bucket chuggers having to get out there.

We'd be better off voting for someone who will make a difference than throwing 50c into a bucket. /utopia

Vojera wrote: »
    Clean needles and facilities, someone watching you to reduce the chance of fatal overdose, optional referral to other health services.

But whether those things are actually attractive to the average addict, I don't know :confused:

That's it, anyone who's shooting up in a doorway on westmoreland st, isn't going to bother with the niceties of those facilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Anyone know why the doorway at Heuston seems to be layabout central ???

• Advertisement

The local area there has a plethora of services for homeless and substance abusers. Bow lane accomodation, stevens hospital. There's a clinic opposite heuston. There's shelters on benburb street, and the courts.

Advertisement