Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Beggars

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

There is ZERO police presence in Dublin. Absolutely none. It really is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I found this online, so can't vouch for it, but I assume that it's kosher:-

"Under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 2011 a person who begs in an aggressive, intimidating or aggressive manner is guilty of an offence. A person found guilty of such an offence is liable on summary conviction to a class E fine and/or up to one month in prison.

The Act provides that where someone is begging near certain places such as an ATM, a night safe, a vending machine or a shop entrance the Gardaí have the powers to direct them to leave the area. Failure to do as directed by a Garda is an offence with a class E fine on summary conviction. The Act also makes it an offence to organise or direct begging by another person. On summary conviction you are liable to a class A fine and/or up to 12 months in prison."

Also: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/begging-crackdown-law-comes-into-force-26645647.html

Looks like the GS aren't bothering to enforce this legislation, which is tough on the small shops that are losing business due to beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Squatter wrote: »
    Looks like the GS aren't bothering to enforce this legislation, which is tough on the small shops that are losing business due to beggars.

Ah here, there will be online outrage if the cops get into the game of hassling beggars.

Generally they are a nuisance around the city centre and I have no idea how the roma come half way across europe to beg here, but they are not violent or intimidating.
    There would have to be a widescale crackdown to get the message to them all to shift and the cops wont get any thanks for it.

The GS probably has enough to be doing with more serious crimes.

Ah here, there will be online outrage if the cops get into the game of hassling beggars.

Generally they are a nuisance around the city centre and I have no idea how the roma come half way across europe to beg here, but they are not violent or intimidating.
    There would have to be a widescale crackdown to get the message to them all to shift and the cops wont get any thanks for it.

The GS probably has enough to be doing with more serious crimes.

But why do we have zero regard for the aesthetics of the city? Junkies and beggars everywhere. It's not nice. Seriously most of these beggars are pro-beggars who have houses etc. You see gangs of Roma going into places on the NCR after their begging shift has finished. There are one or two men that look like they've been sleeping rough for decades that beg around Camden st. My heart really bleeds for them and I help them out sometimes. But most of these beggars are junkies pretending to read books or Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Squatter wrote:

Personally I feel that the only way we can reduce this is for people to not give them money. I appreciate some people can be intimidated but if people don't cave in to them, it just won't be worth their while doing it.

As for the roma gangs, I would love for AGS to round them up and put them on a plane back to where they came from but as other posters said they have better things to be doing.

However i would dare say if they solved the roma problem, people would get more satisfaction from this than they would if they put the kinahan's away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Just back from walking around town on lunch break. They are all over the place. All of them either Roma or just normal looking blokes sat on the ground. I guess it's easy money for them.
    Where are the posters saying it's not as bad as Barcelona etc? It definitely is the worst place for begging I've seen in Europe. I was just in Central America and saw none of this, actually not one beggar in Panama City or San Jose, Costa Rica.

central America their out in the desert ---with a hole in their heads,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't hand out change to any of them. Sick of seeing them all pals with each other smoking and drinking cans wearing their Air Max. I regularly see them outside the Park Rite on Drury St swapping places.

Surprised they aren't all down by that pathetic clinic down on the quays.

Someone mentioned Barcelona, I didn't see any homeless in Barcelona or Paris either. I was just saying to the GF the other day I'd love to know what they're doing differently. They also have a tourist tax on hotels so the streets are all really clean. Dublin is such a shíthole in comparison.

Besides the gypsy's at the Eiffel tower with their fake disability donation sheet, they're all Working together and leave together after the police move them on, scum the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Barcelona is more pick pocketing than begging.

Begging isnt strictly illegal- they have to be harassing or intimidating people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Try_harder wrote: »
    Barcelona is more pick pocketing than begging.

Begging isnt strictly illegal- they have to be harassing or intimidating people.

Yeah, I think they'll only get moved on if they are annoying people at paypoints, like the luas machines etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

We are victims of our own conscience.
    If everybody immediately stopped giving to beggars and charities, the issue would be forced and maybe some change would happen.

• Advertisement

who actually gives Roma beggars money? I was cycling to work this morning and from Pearse St Dart station, all the way to Baggot Bridge, there was a Roma beggar every 100m or so.
    It's so obviously choreographed and fake, so who's stupid enough to give them money? We can't really complain too much if we're enabling them. What do these people actually want out of life? Do they not want to work or have they zero aspirations? Are there no Government agencies reaching out to them to see what it is they want and what we can do for them, or help them in any way to integrate? It's like they're from another planet.
    Anyone remember the Roma guy who used to pretend to shiver on the street with no shoes on? lol, dear oh dear...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

who actually gives Roma beggars money? I was cycling to work this morning and from Pearse St Dart station, all the way to Baggot Bridge, there was a Roma beggar every 100m or so.
    It's so obviously choreographed and fake, so who's stupid enough to give them money? We can't really complain too much if we're enabling them. What do these people actually want out of life? Do they not want to work or have they zero aspirations? Are there no Government agencies reaching out to them to see what it is they want and what we can do for them, or help them in any way to integrate? It's like they're from another planet.
    Anyone remember the Roma guy who used to pretend to shiver on the street with no shoes on? lol, dear oh dear...

You ever see up by Parliament Street the silver Merc that drops 3/4 Roma "beggars" off each morning ?

Hilarious. No more a beggar than I am Miss Ireland.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

On the foot bridge that leads into the IFSC there's a Roma guy there. Been there for years. Every time I cross that bridge - which is 10 times a week - someone is dropping a coin in his cup. It might be only a few cent but he's definitely making enough to get by.

Fairly horrible existence, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Everlong1

$hifty wrote: »
    In general, I’ve no major issue with beggars and would regularly offer any odds I have on me.

Congratulations. You're perpetuating the problem you're posting about. If you're concerned about homelessness why not donate to a recognised charity instead of encouraging street begging by rewarding it? I'd love to know how many of these individuals are genuinely homeless and how many are just shysters who can't be ars*d to work for a living because it's easier to milk the welfare system for all it's worth and then top that up with some easy money from gullible passers by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

The other night - I had a girl (late teens) at our doorstep in Raheny begging for money. Irish, didn't appear drunk or on anything, put her had out and asked for money. I simply said no and shut the door. To some - I'll be the worst in the world but if I choose to donate to charity, I do it through a registered charity. I live in a pretty mature neighbourhood so I'm sure some of my neighbours would have given her something. This will only ensure she comes back time and time again. The last time I remember anyone knocking on the door begging was members of our travelling community, years ago.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    On the foot bridge that leads into the IFSC there's a Roma guy there. Been there for years. Every time I cross that bridge - which is 10 times a week - someone is dropping a coin in his cup. It might be only a few cent but he's definitely making enough to get by.

That's his day job, you've no idea what kind of accommodation he goes home to. Likely better than yours or mine given he has no taxes to pay and gets everything free.

Interesting how a majority of posters on this thread so far seem to agree that begging is now totally out of hand in Dublin and that the Gardai and/or the legal system in general is doing nothing to deter this problem. We'll have a general election in this country this year. How many of you are prepared to raise this with the local TD who calls to your house looking for your vote ? Let's not forget that these vermin are responsible for worse than just begging. Remember the unfortunate Spanish tourist who was raped by a scumb*g she met on the Boardwalk ? I guarantee that pig will turn out to have 80+ previous convictions if he's ever brought to court. That unfortunate woman's ordeal is a direct result of our tolerance for corruption and lawlessness in this country.

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Well from what I've seen they seem to be housed, and I'm pretty sure they're eligible for our Social Welfare. So they're wishing it upon themselves really, and we are enabling it.

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Interesting how a majority of posters on this thread so far seem to agree that begging is now totally out of hand in Dublin and that the Gardai and/or the legal system in general is doing nothing to deter this problem. We'll have a general election in this country this year. How many of you are prepared to raise this with the local TD who calls to your house looking for your vote ? Let's not forget that these vermin are responsible for worse than just begging. Remember the unfortunate Spanish tourist who was raped by a scumb*g she met on the Boardwalk ? I guarantee that pig will turn out to have 80+ previous convictions if he's ever brought to court. That unfortunate woman's ordeal is a direct result of our tolerance for corruption and lawlessness in this country.

I raise all sorts with my local TDs. I emailed all of them about the MUP on alcohol for example. They don't care. There's a general election yes, but they're all as bad as each other. I mean what's the diff between FF and FG really?
    Who are you supposed to vote for? Independents? They're just idiots. Gino Kenny for Taoiseach?

I raise all sorts with my local TDs. I emailed all of them about the MUP on alcohol for example. They don't care. There's a general election yes, but they're all as bad as each other. I mean what's the diff between FF and FG really?
    Who are you supposed to vote for? Independents? They're just idiots. Gino Kenny for Taoiseach?

"b-b-but he saved little Ava Twomey's life doncha know ???"

(I know someone who voted for him and thinks he should be in Government).

• Advertisement

"b-b-but he saved little Ava Twomey's life doncha know ???"

(I know someone who voted for him and thinks he should be in Government).

I've met him a few times. Nice chap, but a politician he ain't.

I'd argue that there are substantial differences between FF and FG. For a start, FG haven't bankrupted the country twice (the first time being the Jack Lynch - Charlie Haughey giveaway budget spree). FG are traditionally supposed to be tougher on law and order than FF although I accept that that's probably more a question of perception than reality.

My point is that nothing will change unless we make it happen. You on your own emailing your local TD mightn't have any effect. If, however, every poster on Boards who's fed up watching Dublin being overrun by scum*ags started regularly lobbying their local TDs, the message would sink in sooner or later. I think Brexit and Trumpism provide opportunities here. If enough TDs start getting the "we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore" message, then even the dumbest local yokel TD will have to start thinking "Jaysus my seat might be in danger if we don't take this seriously."

I do understand your cynicism, but change is possible. It will need organisation and effort though, as well as patience. I think Varadkar's much maligned "People who get up early in the morning" comments are an indication that the tide is turning, albeit very slowly, in this country with regard to law abiding working people being fed up with the state of the country. I think Varadkar recognises this and we need to capitalise on
    that.

I think we might take into account that the government is under pressure with the housing crisis, and any attemp to crack down / clean up the begging will be portrayed as an attack on the homeless by various organisations.

Maybe they done want to touch it because of this.

Also somebody mentioned sending some of them back home.
    I heard on one of the local dublin stations somebody talking about our "irish roma community" and the poverty that they are living in. Something would have tp be done etc etc

I assume that they are here so long that their kids are irish and theres no going anywhere for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Don't know how true it is but I heard once that some of those begging are in quasi indentured servitude to loan sharks.

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I'd argue that there are substantial differences between FF and FG...

You're right about all that but everyone on boards etc aren't going to write to their TDs. No one will bother taking any action. We will all just continue our lives as is and put up with some of the nuisances on the streets because we don't really have a choice. And we'll continue to complain about it online and down the pub.

I think we might take into account that the government is under pressure with the housing crisis, and any attemp to crack down / clean up the begging will be portrayed as an attack on the homeless by various organisations.

Maybe they done want to touch it because of this.

But I would go as far as to say most of the beggars aren't homeless. The Roma for e.g.
    That guy who sets up books on Nassau st every day "for sale" and pretends to read them lives off Seville place and I see him going into the meth clinic on Amiens st in the mornings. He's a fraud, he's begging for heroin money, pretending to read books, and people are giving him money. Ridiculous.

But I would go as far as to say most of the beggars aren't homeless.

Oh Id say not. There is an organised crew working both sides of the main street in Maynooth for years as far as I can see.

I think a local councillor announced in a meeting that they had a house somewhere but I dont know the details.

Edit: Theyve even got their own thread here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057606099

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh Id say not. There is an organised crew working both sides of the main street in Maynooth for years as far as I can see.

I think a local councillor announced in a meeting that they had a house somewhere but I dont know the details.

Edit: Theyve even got their own thread here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057606099

These lads pretend to be homeless and living in doorways etc - a long closed shop with an indented door is the usual one but the outside of the BOI branch is another one.

First sign that the night is going to be quiet in the pubs - bad weather, big match on free TV or just some random quiet nights and they're back at home by 10 or 11. In a house. Otherwise they take the sleeping bags etc away when the takeaways close.

If actual homeless services turn up they scarper too.

There are plenty of genuine homeless out there so its not like everyone is a scammer; but in Maynooth you would have a hard time finding a genuine one out begging.

Some rough looking wan begging outside Lidl in coolock just now, shouting abuse at someone telling them they’d break their little dog in half, lol.
    I saw 4 people begging in fairview cycling home, never saw one when I went to school there in the 90s.
    Wtf is going on?? It’s an epidemic, something needs to be done. This isn’t a f*cking Indian city, we are quite a rich nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wtf is going on?? It’s an epidemic, something needs to be done. This isn’t a f*cking Indian city, we are quite a rich nation.

People have to stop giving them money.

People are giving them money *because* its quite a wealthy country, and one with a relatively generous trend and a continual risk of falling for a hard story.

If you want to help give money to homeless charities and/or the SVP.

Advertisement