Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Beggars

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

who actually gives Roma beggars money? I was cycling to work this morning and from Pearse St Dart station, all the way to Baggot Bridge, there was a Roma beggar every 100m or so.
    It's so obviously choreographed and fake, so who's stupid enough to give them money? We can't really complain too much if we're enabling them. What do these people actually want out of life? Do they not want to work or have they zero aspirations? Are there no Government agencies reaching out to them to see what it is they want and what we can do for them, or help them in any way to integrate? It's like they're from another planet.
    Anyone remember the Roma guy who used to pretend to shiver on the street with no shoes on? lol, dear oh dear...

They're all getting money from the state and during the day, they get dropped off around town to beg in the mornings and get picked up later in the evenings.

I'll never understand why people give them money. It's one thing to give money to someone that you believe to be homeless but these people aren't. They pull the exact same scam in every other country. You need to have lived a fairly sheltered existence to believe that these roma are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The Roma do NOT get money from the date. They are entitled to nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Chinasea wrote: »

Romania is a member state of the EU and has been since 2007.

I agree they're "entitled" to nothing but I think you'll find they have the same cash going to them as UK or Austrian beggars.

I think you'll find they are not in receipt of welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Then why come here ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Then why come here ?

Because us eejits literally give the money for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That's a broad statement. Let's see if it holds water.

A study of the Roma community in balbriggan was performed by an NGO and a Roma community group.
    Cairde is a non-governmental organisation working to reduce health inequalities among ethnic
    minorities and supports the participation of minority communities in enhancing their health. Cairde
    works through a rights based approach, believing that the absence of equality and respect for
    human rights is correlated to the existence of health inequalities.

Musicantia is a Roma led initiative which aims to meet the human rights, social and cultural needs of
    the Roma population in Ireland. By using music, language, culture, and other expertise among Roma
    adults, children and young people, Musicantia actively promotes integration between their own and
    other communities.

They surveyed members of the Roma community in Balbriggan. These groups aren't some right-wing group either. Also, to clarify, who was surveyed here:
    People who took part in this study are all of Roma ethnicity and originally came from Romania.

I've linked the document up above and it covers the usual mundane stuff like marital status, number of children, employment, language proficiency etc.

Here are some rather interesting bits that suggest to me that perhaps there are in fact some Roma out there collecting welfare:
    97% of the respondents state that they have a medical
    card.
    77% visited the GP at least once in the past year.
    92% have never used the D-Doc5
    the main reason being
    that they are not aware of this service and what it offers.
    As a result of this outside GP visiting hours, the majority of
    the respondents (62%), attended at an A&E at least once
    in the past year. This happens often in families with young
    children. This shows a lack of access to information on
    the health services available among Roma people.

Medical card, eh? That's a bit like social welfare but let's read further...
    The unemployment rate among respondents is very high and
    90% state that they are in receipt of a social welfare payment.

The ability to access social welfare payments is a significant issue
    for Roma people in Ireland, primarily due to difficulties proving
    that they meet the Habitual Residence Condition6
    (HRC). In
    Balbriggan, Cairde and Musicantia have supported many
    Roma people to prove they meet the HRC and can therefore
    access social welfare and other services to which they are
    entitled. However, in most other parts of Ireland, Roma people
    find it very difficult to access services because of the HRC.

That sure sounds to me like Roma can receive social welfare. Now maybe my english isn't great so let's parse this sentence again.
    90% state that they are in receipt of a social welfare payment

That sure sounds like 90% of the sample are receiving social welfare. Now, if 90% of that sample are receiving welfare, that sounds to me like there are Roma collecting social welfare.

But you said:

I call búllshít on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Everlong1

We will all just continue our lives as is and put up with some of the nuisances on the streets because we don't really have a choice..

Ah but you see we do really have a choice. We can choose to simply put up with it and moan down the pub like you said. Or we can choose to take action. Like emailing your TD and asking him why his party tolerates rampant lawlessness on the streets. And telling him that you'll vote for the party which makes a commitment - and follows it up with real action - to deal with the problem.

I reckon there's a space in this country now for a proper centre right law and order party. Some posters here will say that Fine Gael are a centre right party. So grand: we just need to push them to take action on lawlessness in the cities. They'll soon stop worrying about political correctness if they're made aware of the extent of public concern about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

uch wrote: »
    There were 3 on the Seán Heuston Bride at lunch our today, all with signs, so no English being spoken, the bridge is about 30 yards in length so it must be profitable, the amount of them at Heuston station almost every day is unreal

They were begging 'As Gaelige?', no wonder they weren't making much... :D

That's a broad statement. Let's see if it holds water.
    A study of the Roma community in balbriggan was performed by an NGO and a Roma community group.
    They surveyed members of the Roma community in Balbriggan. These groups aren't some right-wing group either. Also, to clarify, who was surveyed he
    I've linked the document up above and it covers the usual mundane stuff like marital status, number of children, employment, language proficiency etc.
    Here are some rather interesting bits that suggest to me that perhaps there are in fact some Roma out there collecting welfare:
    Medical card, eh? That's a bit like social welfare but let's read further..

That sure sounds to me like Roma can receive social welfare. Now maybe my english isn't great so let's parse this sentence again
    That sure sounds like 90% of the sample are receiving social welfare. Now, if 90% of that sample are receiving welfare, that sounds to me like there are Roma collecting social welfare.

But you said

I call búllshít on you.

A bogus survey , made up of a bogus non specified number. Easy pickings for those who choose to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A bogus survey , made up of a bogus non specified number. Easy pickings for those who choose to believe.

Where are you getting the idea that Roma (be they from Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, France, Spain...etc.) can't/don't receive social welfare of some sort in this state?

humberklog wrote: »
    Where are you getting the idea that Roma (be they from Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, France, Spain...etc.) can't/don't receive social welfare of some sort in this state?

Roma in Ireland and access to social protection :
    The application of the right to reside test and the habitual residence condition is having an extremely negative impact on Roma living in Ireland, whereby many Roma are not entitled to any social protection measures. This is causing huge suffering within the Roma community. It is a cause of hunger, homelessness and poverty.

What is the ‘right to reside’? :
    A ‘right to reside’ test was introduced in December 2009. A person who does not have a right to reside in the State shall not be regarded as being habitually resident in the State.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Roma-and-access-to-social-protection-in-Ireland_Briefing-paper-1.pdf

"She arrived on Dec 17 and joined her family at a derelict property in Donabate in north Co Dublin. Marioara joined more than a dozen adults and a small number of children living in a property which had no sanitation, no electricity, no running water, and half the roof missing."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/the-life-and-death-of-marioara-rostas-181766.html

I haven't forgotten about this horrendous murder. The investigating Gardai during one of the interviews said he had NEVER seen anything like the brutality carried out on this poor 18 year old girl. Her teeth had been kicked in to say the least and her body dumped in the Wicklow mountains. Where can or how does such sheer HATE come about?.............

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hang on a sec there Chinasea. This is the post I was referring to. In that post one would infer that all Roma do not get money from the state.

In your most recent post the quote is "many Roma not entitled....". Totally different.

If you're a citizen of the EEA and fulfil the reasonable (imo) criteria you are entitled to state benefit. A citizen of the EEA regardless of whether you're from the Roma community or not. We've all to jump through the same hoops.

As for the Rosta case you ask where does that sheer hate come from? The main suspect in that case is a known psychopath.
    You're hardly measuring the norms of society against the actions of an individual? As in tarring all of one society because of the actions of one.
    That's the type argument that racist usually use.

Advertisement