Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of suit should I buy?

• 25-04-2018 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭

Late 40s, and need to update to a new suit.
    Just got traditional black one and another cheapie sage coloured one I don't like.

Gonna buy a new one, but not sure which to plump for?

I'm not into all the hipster, McGregor look at all. I haven't a beard! Plus those checked suits are ghastly looking and will date badly.

It's going to be something for communions, confirmations x weddings.

Where should I go look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We oldies mostly look at a new suit these days and wonder will we be buried in it.

Just hit the shops and start trying some on. You'll know the right one when you see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Marks & Spencer staff in the mens department were very helpful to us. They advise on different styles of suits. I never knew they were so many different styles. They also will help you to choose different styles of shirt and tie. I can't recommend them enough in this regard, and I'm a woman with helpless fellas in the family!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Agree with Jelly above. Go to M&S. One of the useful things is that you can mix & match sizes there so a large fitting jacket can be matched with narrow waist trousers or vice versa. Ask for a Regular fit as the other fits (Slim or Tailored) are fashion/trend rather than classic ( and tend to make the wearers look like oversized children.)

If you are not a suit wearer then go with the multipurpose neutral colour, grey, so that the suit can be used for different occasions.

The most important thing about a suit is the shirt, be sure it fits. There should be a fingers worth of space around your neck when it's fastened. Memories of too tight collars are the reason most men refuse to wear formal clothing on a regular basis. T.M. Lewins on South Annes Street is a great source of good quality and reasonable priced shirts, they'll measure you and get you the right fit. Again, go for the regular fit rather than slim or tailored. Also you get to wear cufflinks. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd be inclined to recommend a slim or tailored fit suit. They are very smart looking.
    In my opinion there is nothing worse looking that a regular fit suit. Awful, shapeless things.

Patterned suits are very much in vogue at the moment but as you say - they will date, very quickly. A classic solid colour is something you'd get much more use out of.
    My favorites would be mid grey, navy or a light blue-grey.

A good shirt can really bring out the most in your outfit. But for goodness sake stay away from regular fit shirts. Again, they are shapeless monstrosities. Unless you are overweight you should be going for a tailored fit suit. They look very smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

15% off at TM Lewis : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057866140

that's the shirt sorted and suit perhaps (wouldn't recommend buying that online though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

We oldies mostly look at a new suit these days and wonder will we be buried in it.

The only suit in my wardrobe that fits me nowadays is a rather threadbare tuxedo. I wouldn't mind being buried in that because even if I weren't allowed through the pearly gates maybe I could get a job a a bouncer.

I have about 15+ suits to my name. Majority of those are bespoke. The only thing I inherited from my grandfather was a love of tailoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I used to have 6 or 7 at a time. I'm now down to 1 that is 12 years old. Black three piece that serves me well for funerals and an occasional wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My, aren't you the smart lot! :D

#
    I am so smart
    S.M.R.T
    #
    - Homer Simpson.

• Advertisement
Advertisement