Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 4 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Does this lead to a change of DCM target? Nice to get the quick chat. Sorry about the sudden departure. When herself says jump I just ask how high! :pac:

Good to talk to you.

I'm not sure, haven't given it a lot if thought yet. Should I revise my training paces now or stick the current ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to talk to you.

I'm not sure, haven't given it a lot if thought yet. Should I revise my training paces now or stick the current ones?

I would revise. Much better to be training off paces based on current fitness. The new M target will still be a big challenge, but a more appropriate one. Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Just curious, is anyone here on this thread, who is actually aiming for a sub 4, a first time marathon runner like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

coogy wrote: »
    Just curious, is anyone here on this thread, who is actually aiming for a sub 4, a first time marathon runner like myself?

I am a fellow novice, and targetting sub 4, maybe.

I've two 1hr 23min 10 milers from this year, Dungarvan (February) and Cobh (April).
    I also have two recent half marathons under my belt. The first was a 2:09 disaster on a baking hot afternoon in early July.
    The second was Clonmel the week before last. I completed that in a controlled 1:54, with a strong finish.

I'm really 50/50 on whether to go for sub 4. McMillan has me there or thereabouts, but I understand that their predictions are optimistic.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I am a fellow novice, and targetting sub 4, maybe.

I've two 1hr 23min 10 milers from this year, Dungarvan (February) and Cobh (April).
    I also have two recent half marathons under my belt. The first was a 2:09 disaster on a baking hot afternoon in early July.
    The second was Clonmel the week before last. I completed that in a controlled 1:54, with a strong finish.

I'm really 50/50 on whether to go for sub 4. McMillan has me there or thereabouts, but I understand that their predictions are optimistic.

My race experience is quite limited. A 10k in April (43:35), a 10 mile in July (1:18) and a half marathon coming up next week.
    Still, I feel like I have a sub-4 in me and am in a good place with training etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My own experience is that in the race series leading up to my first marathon, I ran 81 minutes in the 10 mile and 1:47 in the half, then 3:58. I might have had another few minutes in me in the marathon, but not much.

There's a thread around somewhere comparing people's first marathon times to the half marathon they ran before it. I think for sub 4 you really need to be running under 1:50 in a half. And whatever time you are going for, in your first marathon you are better off aiming for a conservative time, and maybe speeding up at the end, then going for a tough time and suffering through the last - very slow - 10 miles.

RayCun wrote: »
    My own experience is that in the race series leading up to my first marathon, I ran 81 minutes in the 10 mile and 1:47 in the half, then 3:58. I might have had another few minutes in me in the marathon, but not much.

There's a thread around somewhere comparing people's first marathon times to the half marathon they ran before it. I think for sub 4 you really need to be running under 1:50 in a half. And whatever time you are going for, in your first marathon you are better off aiming for a conservative time, and maybe speeding up at the end, then going for a tough time and suffering through the last - very slow - 10 miles.

Were you actually running for a sub 4 during your first marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think this maybe the half marathon times versus marathon times thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055722603&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think this maybe the half marathon times versus marathon times thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055722603&page=1

I remember seeing a table somewhere before which was easier to see at a glance. Or maybe i imagined it :P

ariana` wrote: »
    I remember seeing a table somewhere before which was easier to see at a glance. Or maybe i imagined it :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86583749

RayCun wrote: »

Thanks for that link Ray - I think that’s a great description of a debut marathon. Very similar to my own experience, although I didn’t make the sub-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

coogy wrote: »
    I'm hoping for around 3:45 maybe a little less, its my second year consistently running but first year I may actually make it to the start line through injuries and car accidants.
    I'll be happy to go sub 4 but given the amount of time running on and off over the years, I'll probably feel that I've let myself down if its more than my goal, unless injury strikes during the race of course or I'm feeling ill on the day or something.
    My PB's on the online various calculators around would indicate this is a conservative enough goal but I know enough to respect the distance.
    The goal may change in the coming weeks when the big 20 LSR's are done though! I'm hoping to do one 22 just to have that psychological boost of knowing what to expect out that far and sheer bloody mindedness to keep going for another four on the big day.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Hi all
    Late joiner here. Did the DCM in 2015 with the Novices thread; generally run on my own so I found the novices thread great help. I came in at 4:30 in 2015, sciatic nerve issue flared up in half marathon that year but tbh I wasn't aiming for much faster. In the intervening period I have run a lot but much shorter distances. Giving DCM another go this year with the aim of sub 4.

Currently somewhere between the HH novices plan and BoardsHH plan, but all going well. Running 5-6 times a week without fail.
    Last LSR was 28k @6:03 av pace.
    I run 8k @lunchtime @5:30 pace (Mon/Wed/Fri)
    Tuesday rest day
    Then light recovery 5k runs any other day
    I would like to convert Wed 8k into a longer run I think

Did FD 10mile on Sunday and happily came in at 76:46

Still very aware of sciatic nerve issue. Go to physio every month, she seems happy but is not keen on me running to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

duffer247 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Late joiner here. Did the DCM in 2015 with the Novices thread; generally run on my own so I found the novices thread great help. I came in at 4:30 in 2015, sciatic nerve issue flared up in half marathon that year but tbh I wasn't aiming for much faster. In the intervening period I have run a lot but much shorter distances. Giving DCM another go this year with the aim of sub 4.

Currently somewhere between the HH novices plan and BoardsHH plan, but all going well. Running 5-6 times a week without fail.
    Tuesday rest day

Still very aware of sciatic nerve issue. Go to physio every month, she seems happy but is not keen on me running to time.

Cool to see you're still around & running. I remember you from the DCM novices thread in 2015! Aiming for a sub 4 myself this year. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

Hi all,

Got the chance of a ticket for the Dublin Marathon... Started training only 3 weeks ago. week 1: 40 miles... week 2: 38 miles, week 3: this week will have 40 miles done... Most runs have been easy... Did Rock and Roll Marathon 2 weeks ago in 1.55... Would sub 4 hour be unrealistic.. I have 2, 13 mile runs, 2 x16 miles run, a 17 mile and an 18 mile done thus far... Have done 4 intervals todate.. I'm going away for 10 days mid september but plan on running on holidays... Ran a 4.08 in 2016 and a 3.58 in 2015... Never kept up the running... Any advice welcome😎

duffer247 wrote:

duffer247 wrote:

Really good time for the 10 mile run.. I would say you are where you should be for a sub 4

• Advertisement

superbad50 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got the chance of a ticket for the Dublin Marathon... Started training only 3 weeks ago. week 1: 40 miles... week 2: 38 miles, week 3: this week will have 40 miles done... Most runs have been easy... Did Rock and Roll Marathon 2 weeks ago in 1.55... Would sub 4 hour be unrealistic.. I have 2, 13 mile runs, 2 x16 miles run, a 17 mile and an 18 mile done thus far... Have done 4 intervals todate.. I'm going away for 10 days mid september but plan on running on holidays... Ran a 4.08 in 2016 and a 3.58 in 2015... Never kept up the running... Any advice welcome��

I might be slow here but i'm trying to figure out how you have 6 long runs and a HM done in 3 weeks :confused:

Did you race the HM? I ask because a 1:55 HM isn't really very promising for a sub 4 marathon. There's a generic formula which gives you a marathon time of 4:10 based on a 1:55 HM

(HM x 2) + 20 mins

This is generic however and that was a very tough marathon course by all accounts! And you have already run sub 4 and that experience will no doubt stand to you, in fact you have run 2 marathons in recent enough years. Nothing is impossible.

Welcome to the club and best of luck :)

Hi all

Tuesday rest day

On paper your 10m time is bang on for sub 4, very promising. As you said yourself try and increase the distance on one of your mid week runs (a medium long run so to speak) and slow down the lunchtime runs - or 2 of them at least ;)

The thing jumping out at me is that you don't have much progression in what you are doing aside from increasing the distance on the long run - the rest of the week is the same week in week out - the plan i'm following has a session every week which is varied and gets increasingly more difficult using a range of different paces (tempo, marathon pace miles, threshold etc.). And you'll see the boards plan has a midweek run which also increases in difficulty as the weeks go on. I think your plan is missing a run with a bit of spice :cool:

Having said all of that i'm no expert but these are just my thoughts :)

ariana` wrote: »

The thing jumping out at me is that you don't have much progression in what you are doing aside from increasing the distance on the long run - the rest of the week is the same week in week out - the plan i'm following has a session every week which is varied and gets increasingly more difficult using a range of different paces (tempo, marathon pace miles, threshold etc.). And you'll see the boards plan has a midweek run which also increases in difficulty as the weeks go on. I think your plan is missing a run with a bit of spice :cool:

Having said all of that i'm no expert but these are just my thoughts :)

Thanks Ariana
    And yes I would agree, up until recently I had been doing an interval session every week, which had the added bonus of substantially improving my 5k time! I think I have fallen into a rhythm which is good for building the mileage but 100% need to get back to that session training.

Did the Grant Thornton 5k last night with work, 21:47. Felt weird stretching the legs so that's another sign to get that varied workout you highlighted into the weekly plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3 weeks now with no running due to injury. DCM startline now looking dodgy never mind sub 4.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

RedRunner wrote: »
    3 weeks now with no running due to injury. DCM startline now looking dodgy never mind sub 4.:(

that's a pity and very frustrating I imagine - any idea what's going on - is physio helping at all?

Hi all

Tuesday rest day

Agree with ariana, and the thing that really jumps out at me here is this thrice weekly lunchtime 8k run at faster than marathon pace. Far better to stick to one (possibly a little faster) and make the others easy/recovery runs. You need to build endurance, not speed (you already have that).

Best of luck!

Hi

Thanks for the reply... Two weeks before I started training I ran two half Marathons and a 16 mile on the back of 2 or 3 10km races and some gym work... They where the only runs I did those weeks... I had no intentions of doing the Marathon until I was offered a ticket... I was just going to go around the course with a few mates who are newbies, more so for fun...

I've been doing 4.44km intervals and seemed to have improved in the last 2 weeks... Still clocking 40 miles weekly so I'll continue the training and see how I feel the week of... Yeah your probaby right on the 4.10... However still 7 weeks to go and feel somewhat confidemt I can break the 4 hour mark.

Thank you for your reply😎😎

Murph_D wrote: »
    Agree with ariana, and the thing that really jumps out at me here is this thrice weekly lunchtime 8k run at faster than marathon pace. Far better to stick to one (possibly a little faster) and make the others easy/recovery runs. You need to build endurance, not speed (you already have that).

Best of luck!

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions re; 2 runs in a day? Is it a bad thing, does it increase injury potential? or build stamina?

I ask bec the lunchtime runs are great way for me to get out without impacting on home life. I can't run further than 8k @lunch so I was wondering if I did some kind of 2 run combination on a Wednesday (lunch & eve) to have that mid-week longer run with part of it involving intervals.
    Or should I just cancel the Wednesday lunch run and do the longer run in the evening with the built in session as per BoardsHH

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is very much appreciated especially when an adjustment to the current activity can help so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    that's a pity and very frustrating I imagine - any idea what's going on - is physio helping at all?

It's improving but at a very slow rate Hedgehoggy. Have had a couple of treatments of deep tissue massage and dry needling at this stage. Physio is fairly convince the root of the problem lies in hamstrings . Some scar tissue there and very tight. Makes some sense as my most recent injury preceding this was a hamstring strain on that side. I'll make a call this week to do DCM or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Little bit of advice needed...

I have the medieval 3/4 marathon on Saturday and can't decide how much to run mid week this week. I want to be fresh.

Ran 21 miles on Saturday. Strength class Sunday. Rested yesterday. Today & tomorrow... was planning on doing 4 miles easy plus a strength class today and tomorrow. Resting thurs and fri as I want to be fresh and get an idea if I can pace a sub 4 on Saturday.

Advertisement