Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 v X...pros and cons

Options
  • 25-04-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Really can’t decide which one to get. What are the pros and cons of each and which would you go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Hi I have had both. I returned the iPhone 8+ as the volume on the bluetooth connection and quality of sound was terrible. Apple in fairness took it back no problem. Got the iPhone X and low and behold same problem. It's not the car kit as my wife's iPhone 7 connects flawlessly. Most annoying thing about the iPhone X is the lack of a home button, which is replaced by a new flick of the screen towards the top right. Most annoying. Also no % of remaining battery visible.
    I know, I know, first world problems!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

Lol.. first world problems but they are little bug bears!! Out of both which did you prefer? Is there a big difference between the two?

There is no big difference other than the facial recognition. In fact I would say that's the only difference apart from price that is.

Thanks for that. I have seen them
    And they looks pretty cool. I like the idea of no home button too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

There is no big difference other than the facial recognition. In fact I would say that's the only difference apart from price that is.

The display alone is a very big difference. OLED vs LCD panel is night and day difference in quality.

The overall form factor of the X feels very premium in comparison that what is pretty much the same design since iPhone 6 Plus. You feel like you actually have a new iPhone with the X. No home button, tiny bezels and a nice stainless steel finish. Feels better in the hand for me too.

Whether it’s worth the extra money is something only the OP can decide.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The display alone is a very big difference. OLED vs LCD panel is night and day difference in quality.

The overall form factor of the X feels very premium in comparison that what is pretty much the same design since iPhone 6 Plus. You feel like you actually have a new iPhone with the X. No home button, tiny bezels and a nice stainless steel finish. Feels better in the hand for me too.

Whether it’s worth the extra money is something only the OP can decide.

Think I’ll have to go with the X. I love my iPhones and I’d like to feel it’s new and different if I’m going to spend a good bit on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

That Bluetooth issue worries me... is this a common issue?

I'm not sure how common it is. That was my experience. I have two iPhones paired with the car kit. One is a iPhone 5SE and my iPhone X. Any time I use the X I have to max the volume to be able to hear. When I switch back to the 5SE the volume would burst your eardrums. So I assume it is a hardware issue because both phones have the same IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I got an 8 last year and have been very happy with it (my thoughts are here: http://colm.io/2017/11/13/iphone-8/).

The X seems really nice from the few times I've played with one but I thought it would be wiser to let the first batch out in the wild before upgrading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure how common it is. That was my experience. I have two iPhones paired with the car kit. One is a iPhone 5SE and my iPhone X. Any time I use the X I have to max the volume to be able to hear. When I switch back to the 5SE the volume would burst your eardrums. So I assume it is a hardware issue because both phones have the same IOS.

EU volume cap to protect your hearing. All iPhones purchased in the EU are the same. Not just Bluetooth, affects headphones as well. It’s the law, you can’t disable it without jailbreaking, though Apple have an option called “EU volume limit” in Settings to confuse you. Apple customer and tech support seem to be unaware of its existence these days. I assume you bought the SE in the US.

• Advertisement
Advertisement