Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting log cabin to house

Options
  • 25-04-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

We (stupidly) built a log cabin in our back garden and had it rented out. Got reported and in the end applied for retention of the structure as a domestic store.
    Is there an option to construct a passageway from the main dwelling to the log cabin and use it for human occupancy. Do you need planning permission if the overall size of the passageway and log cabin are less than 40sqm?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Spice Girl wrote: »
    We (stupidly) built a log cabin in our back garden and had it rented out. Got reported and in the end applied for retention of the structure as a domestic store.
    Is there an option to construct a passageway from the main dwelling to the log cabin and use it for human occupancy. Do you need planning permission if the overall size of the passageway and log cabin are less than 40sqm?

I’m assuming you have nobody in it at the moment?

Technically you can connect a
    Structure to the rear by way of a link building but this link and the structure is now classed as habitable space and thus must comply with the building regulations. Can this log cabin comply with our building regulations?

Also, it’s generally considered a granny flat and one of the conditions of such permission will be that it’s occupied by a family member and not rented out t any third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Spice Girl

Well, we no longer live in the house, have it rented out.
    What makes it a granny flat, rather than an extension? obviously it is separate but if it was connected would it still be classed as a granny flat? It is the kitchen that changes it's classification?

Well, we no longer live in the house, have it rented out.
    What makes it a granny flat, rather than an extension? obviously it is separate but if it was connected would it still be classed as a granny flat? It is the kitchen that changes it's classification?

It has to be connected to be classed as a granny flat. No choice.
    It has to be connected to be classed as an extension. No choice.

Both of hose options will allow you to habitats the space. But they need to comply with building regulations. Again, can the log cabin comply with building regulations. My gut feeling is no based on my own experience.

kceire wrote: »
    It has to be connected to be classed as a granny flat. No choice.
    It has to be connected to be classed as an extension. No choice.

Both of hose options will allow you to habitats the space. But they need to comply with building regulations. Again, can the log cabin comply with building regulations. My gut feeling is no based on my own experience.

I don't know if it complies....It was bought as it didn't need planning permission, or so we were told.
    Is my best bet to consult a planning consultant?
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It may not have needed planning permission to be used as a third class building e.g a store. If it is to be used for human habitation, things are different.

• Advertisement

I don't know if it complies....It was bought as it didn't need planning permission, or so we were told.
    Is my best bet to consult a planning consultant?
    Any recommendations?

You were Mis sold unfortunately. It weds planning as you’ve found out that hard way.

Best to speak with someone with experience. Where are you based?

kceire wrote: »

Best to speak with someone with experience. Where are you based?

Based in Dublin 12

Advertisement