Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying out ex partner, stamp duty implications.

Options
  • 25-04-2018 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for anyones experience with buying out an ex partners interest in a house.

We bought for €220k, mortgaged €170K
    We have split and I am buying my ex out by remortgaging in my own name.
    We have agreed a value of €245k, mortgage balance is ~€165k
    I have mortgage approval for €166k and intend to pay her equity from savings,~€40k

I'm running the numbers and want to assess the stamp duty implications.
    We were not married or civil partners, no kids, basically 2 people who bought a house in the eyes of the law as far as I can see.
    Im pretty sure there will be stamp duty to pay, Im wondering if it will be calculated on:

A €40k (the cash sum I pay)
    B €122.5k (the half I don't already own)
    C €245k (full value of the house)
    D something else

If anyone has any experience I'd appreciate if they'd share it with me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Isnt it going to be for the purchase price of the bit you dont own?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tonto67

godtabh wrote: »
    Isnt it going to be for the purchase price of the bit you dont own?

I hope so, thats what I have budgeted for but it has been suggested that it might be for the full price because a new mortgage is being issued. An extra €1200 would sting badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Stamp duty will be based on the value of the half-share that you are buying. The fact that you'll be financing this with a mortgage which will be charged on the half-share is ignored, just as it was ignored when the pair of you jointly bought the house, financing it with a mortgage charged on the whole house. Even if there is a mortgage involved, stamp duty is always calculated on the basis of the unmortgaged value of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Tonto67 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have agreed a value of €245k

I don't think you can just agree a figure, I think you may need to have a valuation done to clarify this, especially when the stamp is directly related to this figure, just something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tonto67

JimmyMW wrote: »
    I don't think you can just agree a figure, I think you may need to have a valuation done to clarify this, especially when the stamp is directly related to this figure, just something to look into.

The figure is based on 2 valuations, one high one low, we split the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement