Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here actually has a pilots license?

Options
  • 25-04-2018 7:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'd love to have one myself but at most I'd probably just go down the PPL route. I'm far too old to be going down the ATPL route :P (I'm almost 27) and I don't want to start looking for jobs all over Europe and be almost €100k in debt.

Do you have a pilots license? 63 votes

No, but want to.
    0%
    No, I've no interest.
    30%
    pclivegamblitisTenzor07SRFC90prunudoMinisterChiorinoArdennes1944DoylerscolbarrRock of GibraltarDavid086irishkopite 2011jamo2oo9ZuM16MeTheManvg88faoiarvokAhhhh for forks sake! 19 votes
    LPL or PPL
    36%
    A Dub in GlasgojmkennedyieDamien360ED Emurphym7Dardaniaax586VW 1Locker10aroundymacorionm_73Roger_007notharrypotterRemothenemoscooby77skallywagBussywussyPurple MountainBeerFartsPanjandrums 23 votes
    Commercial pilots license
    23%
    civdefbeanianmoonshipBill Gdonkey ballsCONMBsalMenapiansContrailsDingle_berryAnonymous12JCX BXCdeaddonkey15Gaoth LaidirCalifornia Dreamer 15 votes
    ATPL
    3%
    Stovepipemartinsvi 2 votes
    ATPL with some type ratings .. do tell us which ratings :)
    6%
    Irish StevePapaSierraNegative_Gtesticles 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

ATPL here, A320 rating. You're never too old! I was 31 when I got my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Too blind to go beyond a EASA LPL myself. Before that came in there was no option

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

CPL/IR, Multi engine, Night, with frozen ATPL

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Soloed in sailplanes several decades ago. Didn't get a license but I was allowed to fly them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

No, I've no interest.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Too blind to go beyond a EASA LPL myself. Before that came in there was no option

I thought your eyesight just had to be corrected to 20/20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Astigmatism and other iasues for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Almost got to PPL, then aborted when it became clear that a class one medical was a no-go. That was a decade ago now, and though I'd like to get back to flying at some stage I don't see it in the near future.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Same here failed the class 1 med 10 years ago was made go off and get glasses,Re done the eye sight test and passed but there was stipulations regarding eye sight tests.
    So as you get older the eyes get poorer and it was a big risk in going the whole hog (MEIR etc) and they coming up short on the class 1, Actually how many people do you know that paid for the training right up to the MCC and never landed a job.
    I knew of 5 but one eventually got a job the other lads no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Currently mid-training for a PPL; no desire to go further albeit I might try to get IR and Night rating down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

24; CPL/fATPL with 737 type. :)

Never too old, especially at 27. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

PPL fot 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

PPL (A) mixture of C172 & PA28
    PPL (H) R44 and about 5 hours in B206

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I'd love to have one myself but at most I'd probably just go down the PPL route. I'm far too old to be going down the ATPL route :P (I'm almost 27) and I don't want to start looking for jobs all over Europe and be almost €100k in debt.

I know several people that were all mid 30s before starting. Even getting the fATPL at 40 still gives you 20 plus years flying. Enough time to go from the regionals to Ryanair to long haul and get your command if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

EASA ATPL
    B777/787 ratings
    Type Rating Instructor
    Line Training & Check Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

+/- 3.00 correction for initial issue. After that, it can go up to +/ 5.00 before further testing required.

As far as I can remember, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Wheres the option for a Drone pilot........ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darkonethree

40 years old, just starting first type rating as a brand new FO with airline.  previously a PPL holder.  It's never ever too old to start the ATPL exams (I started them at 37).  If it's your dream then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darkonethree

I'd check that with a professional before you're told no.  The restrictions are not as bad as you think.  If it's really something you want to do seek more advise before you say no..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I hold 3 ATPLs (EASA, Saudi, FAA), luckily the FAA and Saudi medicals can be combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

EASA ATPL
    Expired BAE146 rating
    Current E170/190 rating
    Rating no.3 starts in August....I love a good type rating :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Always had an interest in small planes since a kid.
    Been up in single engine and microlites quite few times. (As a passenger) with friends.
    Can't understand the obsession with the big stuff ?
    So I qualify as a fan not a troll, but no category for me on poll.
    50 now, and prefer my boat,
    That I can afford :)

Tell me to feck off if ye want.
    I won't tell you how to properly land if ye won't tell me how to service an oil boiler. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

ATPL
    Your boat probably costs more than a decent microlight and it may surprise you to know that servicing an oil boiler and a jet engine are surprisingly similar.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Your boat probably costs more than a decent microlight and it may surprise you to know that servicing an oil boiler and a jet engine are surprisingly similar.

While I'd love to be in the position to be able to afford to be able to run a jet engine, I suspect that the running costs of my oil boiler are orders of magnitude lower than most jet engines!

Joking apart, a long time ago now, I worked out the equivalent miles per gallon costs of the aircraft I had at the time, (PA39 Twin Comanche), and it was not a lot dearer to run fuel burn wise than a 3 litre Ford Granada, and it was a hell of a sight faster, and a load more fun as well.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Discount for two then. ��

boat full of aeroboard, it can't sink.
    Aeroplanes defy gravity most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

ATPL
    30 yo, about to finish my first TR shortly on a Q400

Advertisement