Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Development refused in Dublin City

Options
  • 25-04-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Sought planning on a 1/4 acre site in Dublin City for apartments, which was refused. Then the second reduced and amended submission was refused.
    Any property developers offer suggestions on this problem that I’m sure is a common occurrence?

Comments

Sought planning on a 1/4 acre site in Dublin City for apartments, which was refused. Then the second reduced and amended submission was refused.
    Any property developers offer suggestions on this problem that I’m sure is a common occurrence?

Did you apply for it through an architect who has experience submitting these applications?
    If not that's what you need to do, and before its submitted you need to arrange a meeting with the office in question with your architect and find out what they will let past and what they won't let past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kickstart86

Did you apply for it through an architect who has experience submitting these applications?
    If not that's what you need to do, and before its submitted you need to arrange a meeting with the office in question with your architect and find out what they will let past and what they won't let past.

Yeah had a reputable architect and got and paid more by another company to have it resubmitted. Also had a preplanning meeting and all seemed to go well.
    I’m at a loss. I just feel if it was a big developer they would breeze through the planning process (which I know realistically isn’t necessarily true, I’m just ranting), But I’m just wondering where to go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

What were the reasons for refusal?

You need to speak to someone in the planning department to gauge what they would permit in principle.

JustLen wrote: »
    What were the reasons for refusal?

You need to speak to someone in the planning department to gauge what they would permit in principle.

Over development of the site, but this was amended after the first refusal.
    Have you experience dealing with the planning office? Is it a case of contacting and arranging a meeting - I’d imagine this is difficult as I am aware they are very thinly stretched at the moment.

Over development of the site, but this was amended after the first refusal.
    Have you experience dealing with the planning office? Is it a case of contacting and arranging a meeting - I’d imagine this is difficult as I am aware they are very thinly stretched at the moment.

I'll give you some advice from someone who has built a few projects around the world. It sounds like this is your first rodeo, and your attitude is not right for the industry your about to enter. It is the toughest industry on the planet in my opinion and very very difficult. So your attitude needs to be extremely direct and hands on at all times. No relying on architects to attend meetings for you or handle all submissions, you attend with them. Always assume they will make a mistake with it. Every tiny detail in the project is your responsibility not the people you hire. They have their own things to worry about and you can't rely on them. In a perfect world you could but the reality is you can't, not even on your security guards.
    Every day your going to get problems and you have to find solutions. This needs to be your mindset. You are the only person who is going to make it a profitable project, nobody else. That means you have to solve the problems. You have to push constantly and relentlessly.

Your solution to this problem is obvious and thats why Im saying the above so you can correct your approach to this and be in the proper mindset. Keep calling the planning office until you get a meeting with them. Sit down and find out exactly what you need to do to get the permit. No one here is going to have any idea for your project, theres no magic formula. It comes down to you pushing people to get the result that you need.

• Advertisement

I'll give you some advice from someone who has built a few projects around the world. It sounds like this is your first rodeo, and your attitude is not right for the industry your about to enter. It is the toughest industry on the planet in my opinion and very very difficult. So your attitude needs to be extremely direct and hands on at all times. No relying on architects to attend meetings for you or handle all submissions, you attend with them. Always assume they will make a mistake with it. Every tiny detail in the project is your responsibility not the people you hire. They have their own things to worry about and you can't rely on them. In a perfect world you could but the reality is you can't, not even on your security guards.
    Every day your going to get problems and you have to find solutions. This needs to be your mindset. You are the only person who is going to make it a profitable project, nobody else. That means you have to solve the problems. You have to push constantly and relentlessly.

Your solution to this problem is obvious and thats why Im saying the above so you can correct your approach to this and be in the proper mindset. Keep calling the planning office until you get a meeting with them. Sit down and find out exactly what you need to do to get the permit. No one here is going to have any idea for your project, theres no magic formula. It comes down to you pushing people to get the result that you need.

:) El Rifle I like that. You’re dead right of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Go down there and explain the situation.

Tell them you need to sit down and discuss.

Formally apply for a pre-planning meeting if needs be.

Hound them until you get the meeting.

Bring a professional to the meeting.

Take detailed notes.

You will come out with a very good indication of if this project will ever get going.

You can then make a decision about next steps.

You will either make a new application under the advice you recieve OR you will be forced to look at an alternative project.

Advertisement