Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social/local authority housing

Options
  • 25-04-2018 11:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

Would i be entitled to apply if I can't get a mortgage? I'm working but in a low paid job. How does local authority housing work? I don't know anything but if I can't get a mortgage, it may be my only option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

dog tired wrote: »
    Would i be entitled to apply if I can't get a mortgage? I'm working but in a low paid job. How does local authority housing work? I don't know anything but if I can't get a mortgage, it may be my only option.

As far as I know, you can apply for local authority housing as long as you've been living in the council area for three years, and you're below a certain income. I think the range is 30k-35k, it probably varies a bit with outgoings etc. There should be a housing section on your council's website, and within that a form to apply for social/local authority housing of some sort.

However, it's highly unlikely you'll get a local authority or housing association house/apartment in this current political atmosphere any time soon, if you are eligible then you'll probably be stuck on HAP, which afaik is just subsided private renting with no real security.

Councils are also giving out mortgages, in the near future if not now. I was told it's a €75k limit for a couple, so single is probably around the €40/45k mark. Again, it should be on your local council's website, or on the department of housing website.

Hope that helps a bit!

Advertisement