Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on lawnmower decision ???

Options
  • 25-04-2018 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a ride on lawnmower. I know a guy with a very clean mcculloch just been serviced but it is only a single cutting blade and a 30" deck, I have a fairly small lawn, no more than 1/4 of a acre, just wondering would this be ok for me, he's looking €950 which is a lot cheaper than a new one. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You won't need anything bigger than that for that size lawn. I've one three times that and use a self drive push mower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Why do you need a ride on lawnmower for such a small garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brego, I presume you are poking the OP. This is 1,000 Sq M.
    €950 looks ok, but if your lawn is suitable, look at robots.
    This for just over €1K, might suit
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/robomow-rc308u-2018

I was thinking something similar with my similar sized lawn not so long ago.
    Fact is.....I didn't need a ride on and neither do you for that size.

Get yourself a decent self propelled mower. Less costs in maintaining it than a ride on and I'd imagine less to go wrong too.

Exercise will do you good too.

Lads, that's like the OP asking, which car he should buy and you tell him, to get a bicycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

Well it might be a bit bigger. Just worried about the single blade and a 30" deck. As most mowers are twin cutters

Anyone know anything about a single cutting ride on

Its a single cut ride on I have, at present, no problems. Will move over to robot, this year or next.

Water John wrote: »
    Its a single cut ride on I have, at present, no problems. Will move over to robot, this year or next.

And you find yours good. What size cutter. Does it blow grass into hopper ok. Someone told me that some of them haven't go enough power to blow it back. This McCullough mower looks to be in very good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Matty6270 wrote: »
    Well it might be a bit bigger. Just worried about the single blade and a 30" deck. As most mowers are twin cutters

No they arent, And yes you will have very little gripes, Your garden is tiny.

You do not need twin cutters or a bigger deck. Tbh i think you are over thinking the purchase. If you want one then this one is a fine start. But tbh i dont see you needing any upgrade on it.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    No they arent, And yes you will have very little gripes, Your garden is tiny.

You do not need twin cutters or a bigger deck. Tbh i think you are over thinking the purchase. If you want one then this one is a fine start. But tbh i dont see you needing any upgrade on it.

Yea i think il go for it. Thanks. Just listening to others would put u off. Should be fine

This is not the difference a car and a bicycle. People think your mad cutting a lawn that size with a push mower because the mowers they use are in the 500€ range. No good for a big lawn and bad weather.

Id take your 950abd put another 150 with it and buy a Honda hrx. 21inch deck. 5km/hr speed will obliterate grass in all types of weather.
    I was at a near 3000 sq m property today. Spent 2 hrs there. Some strimming as well and edged a foot path. 1 ltr of petrol used on a machine that costs €15 to service every 50 hours

Oh and there were very heavy showers of rain while I was there.

Compare that to a 30 inch ride where most of the power is used carrying you around the lawn and will be useless in wet weather which if last year is anything to go by we will have plenty

This is not the difference a car and a bicycle. People think your mad cutting a lawn that size with a push mower because the mowers they use are in the 500€ range. No good for a big lawn and bad weather.

Id take your 950abd put another 150 with it and buy a Honda hrx. 21inch deck. 5km/hr speed will obliterate grass in all types of weather.
    I was at a near 3000 sq m property today. Spent 2 hrs there. Some strimming as well and edged a foot path. 1 ltr of petrol used on a machine that costs €15 to service every 50 hours

Oh and there were very heavy showers of rain while I was there.

Compare that to a 30 inch ride where most of the power is used carrying you around the lawn and will be useless in wet weather which if last year is anything to go by we will have plenty

This!!

When I was considering a ride on for similar sized garden I was using an Aldi self propelled job that was taking me over 2 hours to do. I did some research and asked a few questions and decided I was mad to get a ride on.
    At the beginning of this year I bought a Husqvarna mulching mower. https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lb-553s-e/967257001/

I can do the same grass in more than half the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't know why anyone would spend 1000 on a used ride on for 1000sqm when a new robot will do the job all day every day for about the same money.

Lumen I would agree with that. But if the OP is happy to go with the machine he's looking at, it will, do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

TheTorment wrote: »
    This!!

When I was considering a ride on for similar sized garden I was using an Aldi self propelled job that was taking me over 2 hours to do. I did some research and asked a few questions and decided I was mad to get a ride on.
    At the beginning of this year I bought a Husqvarna mulching mower. https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lb-553s-e/967257001/

I can do the same grass in more than half the time now.

Can I ask you what size is your lawn?

I'm currently mowing about 3/4 acre with a €500 Husqvarna and it takes me almost 3 hours.

Mower is given me lots problems I need to change it for a tractor or a higher spec like yours

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Can I ask you what size is your lawn?

I'm currently mowing about 3/4 acre with a €500 Husqvarna and it takes me almost 3 hours.

Mower is given me lots problems I need to change it for a tractor or a higher spec like yours

The grass area is probably around a 1/4 of an acre I'd say.
    Love my new mower. Not having to empty grass box saves bundles of time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Hi,

Im interested in a small ride on mower. It currently takes me about 45 mins with a walk behind mower. The lawn is in three sections with access via pedestrian gates to each section.
    Before anyone says I could do with the exercise (which I could BTW), I have a lot of back issues and am finding the walk behind mowing procedure getting more difficult.
    What is a good brand that won't break the bank with a 30-32" blade?
    Is a mower in that bracket suitable for damp/wet grass?

I see people suggesting robots. Could someone post an example?
    I live near a main road with a low wall and could imagine a robot disappearing quickly.

All help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Advertisement