Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice please

Options
  • 26-04-2018 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice. I’ve been working in retail for the last 20 years or so. Am in present job for 12 years and for the last 7/8 years, I’ve been getting more and more involved with doing all the promo for in store sales, promos etc.
    What started out back then was basic in store signage to now doing full page ads for local paper and large scale posters (for current place of employment).
    I’m also the go-to person when friends/family need a personalized invite or something like that.
    I absolutely adore this kind of work, I see it as an enjoyable hobby more than work.
    I was thinking about setting up a Facebook page for myself... maybe doing Menus, Posters, Pricelists, Sale promos, Logos for local businesses etc - and doing personal designs like invites, birthday posters, etc.
    This is small-scale stuff I know but I’m just thinking of giving it a shot...
    How should I get started?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Carry on with what you are doing and enjoy it, once it is your way of making a living you will find it is much more like hard work! You certainly will not make the same money you are making at the moment, even if you are currently on minimum wage. If you are producing work that will need to be professionally printed you need to be working out of professional software. What software are you using?

Logos are not nearly as 'small' as they seem. Once you are offering logos as a professional they are very complex to produce, even after you have thought up the design. You would really need to at least do some serious study of the technicalities, or better yet do a course (and do the study too :D).

Advertisement