Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoroughbred Run Kildare Marathon-17th June '18

Options
  • 26-04-2018 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any experience of THIS.

Looking for something to exorcise the demons of London and try to put the training to good use!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Have done the 5K the past two years. Lashing rain two years ago and the blazing heat last year. Did my best 5K there two years ago. Relatively flat route and it’s nice to run through the stud. Last year I want keen on the start of the f5K, which they changed. Went down a tight alley where everything bunches up. Haven’t read if they have changed it this year although I’m running elsewhere on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Hi sideswipe. I have done the half marathon in 2015 and 2016 and the marathon in 2017 Last year was the first run of the marathon. The course is flat, no hills just a few very short inclines. Full is two laps of the course. Would be a pb course. It is run on country roads around Kildare town and skirting around edges of the Curragh. Can be a lonely run for the first lap then the other races might catch up.The Marathon last year numbered around 100. Around 700 in the half, 10k and 5k. Friendly run with good food at the end. Very warm last year (26 degrees) I'm signed up and looking forward to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Is it chipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Is it chipped?

it sure is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Anyone know where I can find the results of this race?
    Went to the https://www.justrunsevents.com/results.php page but the thoroughbred result link is pointing at a different race...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

smokingman wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find the results of this race?
    Went to the https://www.justrunsevents.com/results.php page but the thoroughbred result link is pointing at a different race...

https://www.sportsplits.com/m3/race?c=74&r=389

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Funny race. In some ways, it was well organised - there were tons of marshalls and plenty of water stations, but in other ways, it was a bit chaotic. I ran the marathon and when I was coming out of the National Stud on the first loop, the electronic gates were locked! The guys ahead of me had gotten through, but I could see the gates closing ahead of me. Only had a wait of about 30 seconds but still kind of frustrating. My other issue was coming into Kildare town at the half way mark. There were a lot of half-marathoners milling around waiting for their race, which meant it was hard for the marshalls to spot and direct the marathon runners. I had to almost stop a couple of times and ask them for directions.

As someone who has only done either DCM or Berlin, it was a very strange feeling running on my own for 26.2 miles with nobody in sight either behind or in front of me. Literally nobody passed me after the first 50 yards and I passed nobody.

The course itself is very fair. Probably a little hillier than I thought it would be. There was a bit of wind in places, but not as bad as predicted.

It'll be interesting to see if they bother running the marathon in future years. There were only 120 registered for it, as compared to over 1400 for the half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Yeah I ultimately ended up doing this one in the end as my wife and dad were doing the 5K (I was doing the 10K).

Definitely seemed chaotic around the start of the 10K. First, it didn't help on the website they were showing the 2017 maps. Luckily I checked the race info beforehand otherwise I'd be standing on my own down by the garda station. The time of the 5K/10K start had half-marathon/marathon runners running through people. Thought it was particularly unfair to them as they had to bustle around people and more importantly, cars. Heard of a couple of instances of runners been compromised badly by this. From what I have heard as well there was situations where some were given wrong directions too.

Don't get me wrong, it takes a massive amount of effort and coordination around organising a race, let along four going concurrently. But hopefully they can learn from the lessons to ensure a smoother running around such moments.

For my own race, good numbers for the 10K. The start was quite clustered and I was in the middle of the pack unfortunately. Had a lot of traffic to get through. Ultimately though, once I broke free I got some great pace and picked up a personal best. Last few chances to go fast before I hit the marathon training in a week or so...

Advertisement