Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas & Suggestions for a Night on The Town!

Options
  • 26-04-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Dear All,

I have a couple of fellas coming down to go out for a few drinks (or two!) next weekend [The May Bank Holiday] on the Saturday night. Now being in my 40's :eek: I am looking for any suggestions for a bit of a pub crawl. Twenty or even ten years I would know where to go and where to steer clear of.

I am thinking of maybe starting from the West end Bridge side with the intention of ending up down in the Apple Market Vicinity. So I have complied a list of potential pit stops:
    Uisce Beatha; The Metalman Pub [formerly Murphs], Downses, Heerys, J Walsh [Georges St], Gingerman, Geoffs. Philly Grimes is also an option but I dont know how I'd figure that into the plan? Also we'd need a late bar (if we were not too full @ that stage). I would also have to factor in the age profile of those on the walk around town [40's all!].

As I said it's been a while since I embarked on such a day out here in my home town so all replies would be welcomed! Normally if I headed to town it would be only for the one or two. Or a bit of food! Which reminds me bellies will have to be lined along the way so I was thinking Geoffs for bar food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Dear All,

I have a couple of fellas coming down to go out for a few drinks (or two!) next weekend [The May Bank Holiday] on the Saturday night. Now being in my 40's :eek: I am looking for any suggestions for a bit of a pub crawl. Twenty or even ten years I would know where to go and where to steer clear of.

I am thinking of maybe starting from the West end Bridge side with the intention of ending up down in the Apple Market Vicinity. So I have complied a list of potential pit stops:
    Uisce Beatha; The Metalman Pub [formerly Murphs], Downses, Heerys, J Walsh [Georges St], Gingerman, Geoffs. Philly Grimes is also an option but I dont know how I'd figure that into the plan? Also we'd need a late bar (if we were not too full @ that stage). I would also have to factor in the age profile of those on the walk around town [40's all!].

As I said it's been a while since I embarked on such a day out here in my home town so all replies would be welcomed! Normally if I headed to town it would be only for the one or two. Or a bit of food! Which reminds me bellies will have to be lined along the way so I was thinking Geoffs for bar food?
    Cut heerys out and go straight to Philly's then u are close to the woodman for a late night options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Dear All,

Sounds good....maybe too many pubs, if you are anything like me and I'm similar age....a few pubs and then I'm exhausted so go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

egans and the roxy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

egans and the roxy

and the boc upstairs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Phillys is my favourite and I'm of a similar vintage to yourself!
    I'd make it my business to include it somehow.
    Uisce Beatha might be a bit on the young side for you but I'm open to correction on that one.
    And I'd swap the gingerman for Danny Macs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

dzilla wrote: »
    Cut heerys out and go straight to Philly's then u are close to the woodman for a late night options

Woodman should be avoided at all costs. Scumbag Sean Johnston now back involved there and behalf of an american investors. should only be supported when Johnston pays back all his subbies and business partners over the years that he screwed.

Gardner wrote: »
    Woodman should be avoided at all costs. Scumbag Sean Johnston now back involved there and behalf of an american investors. should only be supported when Johnston pays back all his subbies and business partners over the years that he screwed.

haha chill out boy, I'm sure that the OP dosen't care about said man and your little crusade against him. Keep up the good work though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

haha chill out boy, I'm sure that the OP dosen't care about said man and your little crusade against him. Keep up the good work though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

crusade? 1 post on boards.ie :rolleyes::rolleyes:

crusade? 1 post on boards.ie :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry I didnt backcheck you. First impressions and all.

keep up the good work kid, you'll shut that evil man down lol :D:D:D

Sorry I didnt backcheck you. First impressions and all.

keep up the good work kid, you'll shut that evil man down lol :D:D:D

evil man? never called him that. called him a scumbag. as any decent person would do they would pay their bills and not have several businesses close because of his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

egans and the roxy

Ah yes the good old days. Why on earth did these places just vanish? Not cool enough for the celtic tiger cubs or millenials?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I have taken some outside counsel and advice from others. Might scale back on the number of pubs! Or else we wont make it to the finish line! I think I'll try to have a few places in mind and just go with the flow. From experience trying to plan a session never really pans out the way you had envisaged

Downes; J. Walsh's; Geoffs; Philly Grimes; Jordans; Tully's Bar and maybe Danny Mac's.

As for late bar's which is the best or lesser of all evils?? ;)

If d'weather was nice and it decided to leave the never ending Winter behind for once and for all a quick trip on the bus to Tramore to The Vic might spice things up a bit.

evil man? never called him that. called him a scumbag. as any decent person would do they would pay their bills and not have several businesses close because of his actions.

Well this is the way of the "scumbag" I guess. Keep up the good work kid.

I prefer a pint without the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If d'weather was nice and it decided to leave the never ending Winter behind for once and for all a quick trip on the bus to Tramore to The Vic might spice things up a bit.

The Vic has closed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I prefer a thread without the drama...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gscully wrote: »
    I prefer a thread without the drama...

spoil sport:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

RubyK wrote: »
    The Vic has closed unfortunately.

Is The Vic actually closed?

I heard it was for sale but I did not think it was closed???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

reni10 wrote: »
    Is The Vic actually closed?

I heard it was for sale but I did not think it was closed???

Closed a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Closed a few weeks ago.

Thats a shame and a surprise, best pub in tramore no doubt...I used to be there a bit back when I was in my drinking pomp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,354 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not mad about Geoffs myself, find it very dusty. Same with Jordons

Not bad whens it's quite but can be annoying when busy and groups decide to stand at the bar and you have to barge you're in way in to get a drink. Obv that goes for all pubs not just geoffs

Woodman is nice but can be extremely quite same with gingerman and few food pubs after 7pm on weekdays

Quite like Ballybricken, decent when there's a match on

Waterford City pub lack the craic I think but the "craic" seems to be a trick to attract tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Max Powers wrote: »
    Thats a shame and a surprise, best pub in tramore no doubt...I used to be there a bit back when I was in my drinking pomp.

When they decided to start doing pub grub, that was its decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not mad about Geoffs myself, find it very dusty. Same with Jordons

Not bad whens it's quite but can be annoying when busy and groups decide to stand at the bar and you have to barge you're in way in to get a drink. Obv that goes for all pubs not just geoffs

Woodman is nice but can be extremely quite same with gingerman and few food pubs after 7pm on weekdays

Quite like Ballybricken, decent when there's a match on

Waterford City pub lack the craic I think but the "craic" seems to be a trick to attract tourists

That's been an ongoing problem for years.

Advertisement