Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

=!")/½Y¤!Y()½?`"=§1 Mr Martin...

Options
  • 26-04-2018 11:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Author George R.R. Martin will release Game of Thrones prequel Fire & Blood later this year.

It will serve as a prequel to the A Song of Ice and Fire book series that is the narrative for HBO's Game of Thrones.

But Fire & Blood and its forthcoming companion won't be novels.
    In a statement, Martin said: "No, winter is not coming... not in 2018, at least," he wrote. "You're going to have to keep waiting for THE WINDS OF WINTER. ... I do want to stress...indeed, I want to shout... that FIRE & BLOOD is not a novel. This is not a traditional narrative and was never intended to be…let's call this one 'imaginary history' instead. The essential point being the 'history' part. I love reading popular histories myself, and that's what I was aiming for here… As for me, I'm returning once again to THE WINDS OF WINTER."
    RIP on ever getting a book ending... All above quotes from this article.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Heh. Anyone genuinely waiting for GRRM or Rothfuss need to have their head examined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trojan wrote: »
    Heh. Anyone genuinely waiting for GRRM or Rothfuss need to have their head examined.
    I'm waiting all right; just not very hopeful about it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I caved and watched the series last year. Wish I'd postponed it so close to the end but I think I was done with the books a long time ago.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Not even sure if i will go back and read them again once finished.

Especially GRRM, there will be character chapters that I am skipping every time if i do.Like: Sansa and Arya Books 1-3, most of the Lannister kids and anything Dorn related.

On the flip side, maybe they'll leave them totally unfinished and Brandon Sanderson will step in and wrap them up for us :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gotta hand it to the guy. He's nobody's bitch.

main-qimg-73942370a32a7096f7bc3323cd5fadca-c

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

On the flip side, maybe they'll leave them totally unfinished and Brandon Sanderson will step in and wrap them up for us :)
    Sadly Martin has expressed that, in the event of his death before their completion, he doesn't want another writer finishing ASOIAF.

Even more sadly, that makes it likely that the only ending we're likely to get will be the ramshackle one the TV series gives us.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't really care anymore. Started reading A Song of Ice and Fire in 2000 and there's just too much good stuff out there to get hung up it anymore. I think the fact that I found A Feast for Crows to be such a dull slog takes the edge of the disappointment for me and as soon as the TV show caught up with that book, I felt they did a better job of telling the story there than Martin did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't really care anymore. Started reading A Song of Ice and Fire in 2000 and there's just too much good stuff out there to get hung up it anymore. I think the fact that I found A Feast for Crows to be such a dull slog takes the edge of the disappointment for me and as soon as the TV show caught up with that book, I felt they did a better job of telling the story there than Martin did.

True but you can see budgetary concerns coming into play there with things like only
    one dragon being on screen in the fight between Daenarys and the Lannisters.
    The next season is only going to be 6 episodes as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sleepy wrote: »
    Even more sadly, that makes it likely that the only ending we're likely to get will be the ramshackle one the TV series gives us.

I disagree. For me, the TV series became canon once it overtook his published works. GRRM is just writing fan-fiction at this point ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I disagree. For me, the TV series became canon once it overtook his published works. GRRM is just writing fan-fiction at this point ;)

I LOL'd at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

:eek:
    :mad:
    :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I keep the books and the show separate in my mind.

The show is enjoyable but I don't expect the books to go the same way, and even if the broad-strokes are the same, the experience will be very different.

I'm looking forward to the next book but content to wait. There is so much stuff to consume these days I can't keep up already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While I really enjoyed the first couple of books I found the remainder pretty dull if I'm honest. I don't think I'd be rushing out to read GRRM again any time soon. TV series is a great romp and IMHO made a pretty good show out of weak base material.

Advertisement