Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Wicklow secondary schools

Options
  • 26-04-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm looking for opinions on secondary schools in north Wicklow. Mixed schools only please..the ones I have in mind are educate together bray, woodbrook college, temple carraig, st. David's and cca
    kilcoole. We live in bray so wondering about commute times to kilcoole and woodbrook too! Any advice appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

THis would probably have a better chance of an answer in the Wicklow forum. I will move it there. Mods feel free to move on if necessary.
    Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

You can forget about TC as it was over subscribed before it even opened it's doors:mad::mad: and anyway Bray is outside the catchment area.
    I went to one of the ET open nights, and found it all a bit woolly and hippie-dippie.
    St David's would be your best bet, they have plans to extend and renovate the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Skyfloater wrote: »
    You can forget about TC as it was over subscribed before it even opened it's doors:mad::mad: and anyway Bray is outside the catchment area.
    I went to one of the ET open nights, and found it all a bit woolly and hippie-dippie.
    St David's would be your best bet, they have plans to extend and renovate the building.

OP is outside the catchment for David's as well, and AFAIK the last couple of 1st year intakes have been fully subscribed. Don't know about CCA, the kid would end up spending a lot of time on/waiting for buses.

I'd have thought ET Bray is a good option but you might want to talk to some of the existing parents, it's only been open a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

As far as I know Brey is outside of the catchment area for CCA. As Woodbrook has recently expanded to take girls from when they were boys only ( St Brendan's) I would have thought that they would have spaces. I think North Wicklow ET plans to move to a new building and the old building probably limits how many spaces they can offer. St Killian's is good for pupils with extra needs from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

seeniee wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for opinions on secondary schools in north Wicklow. Mixed schools only please..the ones I have in mind are educate together bray, woodbrook college, temple carraig, st. David's and cca
    kilcoole. We live in bray so wondering about commute times to kilcoole and woodbrook too! Any advice appreciated thanks.

You can pretty much rule out being able to get into the greystones / kilcoole areas as others have said as you will be outside the catchment areas (although I did go to David's back in the day while living in Bray)

Both of my sons have gone to Woodbrook college youngest is doing his junior cert next month. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Like all schools there will be things / teachers that kids don't like or as parents we don't think are great for the kids for different reasons.
    But from a pure caring about the kids not just from an academic point of view but also as kids they have been outstanding as a school (as a parent I took this as a given but honestly that is not always the case). Happy for you to chat more on PM if you want more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 seeniee

Thanks for the replies everyone...according to the school websites bray is within the catchment areas for the greystones schools just not priority .We would be category 5 for temple carraig anyway. I have put her name in the book of enquiry for David's too. I would love to know more about educate together. My daughter has it in her head she wants to go to woodbrook but I'm on southern cross so concerned about traffic and getting a bus so early! I went to st kilians myself and while I loved it at the time I wouldn't send my kids there now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

seeniee wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone...according to the school websites bray is within the catchment areas for the greystones schools just not priority .We would be category 5 for temple carraig anyway. I have put her name in the book of enquiry for David's too. I would love to know more about educate together. My daughter has it in her head she wants to go to woodbrook but I'm on southern cross so concerned about traffic and getting a bus so early! I went to st kilians myself and while I loved it at the time I wouldn't send my kids there now...

The bus is fine the 145 stops right outside the school (the terminus is at the top of southern cross at the roundabout).
    On occasions my wife drops our son to school(cloverhill area) and leaves at about 8:05 if he is getting the bus he leaves the house at 7:55.

School starts in woodbrook at 8:40.

Advertisement