Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast 24 Hour 2018 - June 23/24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not me :eek:

If they had moved it back to the Mary Peters track I'd have signed up but I just could not face Victoria Park any more. The memories are still too painful. I don't even want to run the Belfast marathon because that passes the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Yeah I'm in. Hoping to go a bit further in the 24 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Yeah I'm in. Hoping to go a bit further in the 24 this year.
    is there any fockin race ur not doin

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

is there any fockin race ur not doin

Donadea 100k unfortunately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

And in contrast to TFB, I love the course. It's fastest WC course I've run (with results to reflect that). Any course where a world record is set has to be OK at least!

24 hour for me, funnily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I'm in for the 24 hour - my first attempt at anything past 100km. It will be interesting to find out how my body reacts to the extra distance, time on my feet and lack of sleep.

Happy with my recovery and lack of niggles after 100km runs so feeling hopeful I'll be good for the extra distance. Probably should take on the advice of incorporating walking breaks early on, though it pains me to do so when still feeling fresh.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have measures been taken to improve the timing issues this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Murph_D wrote: »
    Have measures been taken to improve the timing issues this year?

Yes. A completely different timing company.

Training going to plan with steady 120km weeks, but will now be starting a new job (couldn't turn it down) and can't get time off after the race. Would be rather unprofessional to do the full 24hours and turn up for my training course sleep deprived and probably in bits on the Monday/Tuesday. Fair chance I wouldn't be able to drive anyhow.

Considering my options, may still come up and do the 100k or 12hr as I have recovered fine after those kind of efforts. Quite gutted, as this was going to be my only shot at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Training going to plan with steady 120km weeks, but will now be starting a new job (couldn't turn it down) and can't get time off after the race. Would be rather unprofessional to do the full 24hours and turn up for my training course sleep deprived and probably in bits on the Monday/Tuesday. Fair chance I wouldn't be able to drive anyhow.

Considering my options, may still come up and do the 100k or 12hr as I have recovered fine after those kind of efforts. Quite gutted, as this was going to be my only shot at this.

Firstly, huge congrats on the new job, that's super news! New jobs don't come along every day of the week, but there are a good few races out there if you're prepared to travel or wait (Listowel 24 hour in Sept for instance).

Secondly, there are people far more experienced that me who'll give you advice, so I'll just give you my opinion and personal experience.

After the 2 24 hour races I've done, there is not a chance in hell that I could drive. I was in bits after both (gave them my all) and was fit for nothing for the following 24 hours except staying in bed (barely making it to the loo). I couldn't even go out to the local shop (maybe if my life depended on it I could, I don't know).

Be a shame if you can't do it as your training looked great. You'd probably be ok after the 12 hour and definitely ok after the 100k. Tough one....

edit to say that the surface in Belfast is pretty tough to run on too and really seems to take it out of the legs moreso than road would.

• Advertisement

Under no circumstances whatsoever should you drive after running through the entire night! I know people do that, and I really gave out to a friend of mine about exactly that a couple of years ago.

When I did my first 24 hours race, I felt tired but still somewhat ok-ish afterwards, but I still let my wife drive me back. Half an hour later I fainted walking between the elevator and the hotel room! I clearly would not have been fit to drive a car, no matter how I thought I felt.

A couple of years ago a runner in the UK was killed driving home after a 100-mile race. He had fallen asleep at the wheel.

Get someone to drive you back home afterwards. You will still be able turn up at work on Monday. You won't be at your best but chances are your boss and colleagues will be understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

ill may be drivin back after the race ..(am not running).so more than welcome to the back seat...(no puking allowed inside car)

Slight misunderstanding there. I have no intention of driving myself back to Tipp after the race, my OH has agreed to do that. More concerned about seizing up over the next couple of days. And getting up at 6 on Monday to drive an hour to work, and trying to stay awake all day!

I'd want to have much higher training mileage under my belt before I'd be confident of a quick recovery.

Anyhow, thanks for the differing points of view. Will finish out my last couple of weeks training and see how brave I feel.

Slight misunderstanding there. I have no intention of driving myself back to Tipp after the race, my OH has agreed to do that. More concerned about seizing up over the next couple of days. And getting up at 6 on Monday to drive an hour to work, and trying to stay awake all day!

I'd want to have much higher training mileage under my belt before I'd be confident of a quick recovery.

Anyhow, thanks for the differing points of view. Will finish out my last couple of weeks training and see how brave I feel.

Well, my answer wasn't just aimed at you, it was meant for anyone thinking of driving home after running through the night. I know people who have done it, I'm sure it will happen again but it is a really, really, really bad idea.

I have on a couple of occasions gone back to work not the next day but the day after that. It is perfectly doable but let's be realistic, you will be tired and not at your best. A training course isn't ideal. Try not to fall asleep :D

After a good sleep following the race I would expect you should be able to drive to work. It will be painful to press the clutch, but hey.

Personally I would still go ahead with the race and just try to keep things together at work the next day, but that's your own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Countdown begins! Hope all enjoying taper! Gonna be a very long week :D

Have a look at Aidan Hogan's split times:
    https://myrunresults.com/events/energia_24_(belfast)/2585/results

Over 20 hours into the race and he is still running laps at almost the same pace as he did at the beginning. That's incredible running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Have a look at Aidan Hogan's split times:
    https://myrunresults.com/events/energia_24_(belfast)/2585/results

Over 20 hours into the race and he is still running laps at almost the same pace as he did at the beginning. That's incredible running!

I was tracking him. Unbelievable splits. Fair play to him.

Advertisement