Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow bar dog box

• 26-04-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm just looking for information on those towbar dog boxes. Do any of you use them? Are they handy enough to mount and dismount? Its for a German Shepherd. I'm fully aware of the safety issues regarding a rear collision.

I might only use it once a week for a 20 minute drive to a lake. Any information on them and real world experience would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

i had one a few years back.kept te saluki x's in it ,never a bother with it but then again i was never rear ended ,,no doubt if anyone runs into the back of you at speed its not going to end well..i used mine for 4 years and had reflective stickers on the box without a bother,,,id have no hesitation getting another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

transit260 wrote: »
    i had one a few years back.kept te saluki x's in it ,never a bother with it but then again i was never rear ended ,,no doubt if anyone runs into the back of you at speed its not going to end well..i used mine for 4 years and had reflective stickers on the box without a bother,,,id have no hesitation getting another

Is it handy enough to put them on and off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

I have one for two springers, couldn’t fault it, it’s fibre glass so very easy to spray out to clean,
    The fitting is very easy on and off, there’s a piece sits on hitch and then the box sits onto that, 2 x bolts to tighten and that’s it, because it’s fibre glass it’s very light to lift so can do it yourself in less than a minute, I’d recommend them no bother

Ok thanks all. Sounds good to me.

Is it handy enough to put them on and off?

with mine the frame work slipped in to bigger box iron and two clips were inserted in predrilled holes..solid as a tank....all attached to a plate bolted to the tow bar

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1864443290262238&set=pcb.1537282069660727&type=3&theater

just in case your on FB,theres a few for sale there...hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

I have one of these:

http://www.ginnellfibreglass.com/dog-boxesrvfxl/index.html

Its great.
    John Guinnell is the supplier.
    Its really easy to put on/take off. Just requires a 19mm (3/4'') socket and its not overly heavy to lift either.
    Fits two springers comfortably - would probably take another one or maybe two for short trips.
    Also since its fibre glass its easy to wash out & disenfect.
    Just remember to put a rubber mat on the floor for grip.....
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info lads. Ill check out both suppliers

Advertisement