Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show April 27th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

amdublin wrote: »
    No wants an abortion full stop. No one wants one as contraception for definite.

The pain, the bleeding, the emotion, the hormonal upset.
    Do I need to describe the pain?
    Do I need to describe the bleeding?

Is this what you think of women?

I don't think that way of women but when 1/4 or 1/5 are aborted abroad that suggests more than rape, abnormalities. That's millions of human beings in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

screamer wrote: »
    We have lots of illegal things in Ireland which people are partaking in, heroin, cocaine, prostitution, and who knows what else. When we legislate to legalise those things that people do in secrecy, without supervision, then, I might think about voting yes for abortion.

Do you think a momentary shot of an illegal drug is in any way comparable to a nine month pregnancy and birth?

As a fellow man, I'd be most interested to hear your perspective on giving birth....
    You might be a dude, who said I am..... I know very well about birth, I've birthed 3 kids, and a nine month pregnancy and birth, and the joy of looking into the face of your child, is, you're right, no way comparible to the unending slavery that addicts face of having to take drugs every day of their lives, risking their lives, to just get through another day, or who knows, it could be their last..... but of course, we don't legalize anything they do to help them with their life threatening conditions,  down with that sort of thing, aborting healthy babies on the other hand......

No wants an abortion full stop. No one wants one as contraception for definite.

The pain, the bleeding, the emotion, the hormonal upset.
    Do I need to describe the pain?
    Do I need to describe the bleeding?

Is this what you think of women?

Also AM your post is exclusively about women. Men are involved in this issue. Have they no voice?

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    I don't think that way of women but when 1/4 or 1/5 are aborted abroad that suggests more than rape, abnormalities. That's millions of human beings in my book.

You know this claim is not proven, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Delighted that RTÉ are keeping out the head bangers on both sides
    Hope that continues for other debates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

???

There are a huge range of reasons women or couples need to access abortion. A private matter between the healthcare provider and the woman. None of my business and none of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quinn, McGuirk ,Ganley all calling what they watched a resounding triumph.

Graham Norton really mustve been good, i must look for it on catchup...

Didnt McGurik think No was actually going to win the ME ref the day before too???

What party is he in now RENUA? Or has he quit them too?

Flying Fox wrote: »
    You know this claim is not proven, right?

I've researched most countries. Argentina 1/3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That 1/5 statistic is incorrect. So is the one about 90% of babies with DS being aborted.

• Advertisement

The actual living woman has rights to access abortion in the UK, there are options and choices if she wishes.....the unborn little baby has no protection if we remove the 8th amendment, and no right to anything, but sure don't let a little thing like that stand in your way.

You want to continue sending, our women suffering already with ffa, or having been raped, or a crisis pregnancy,  - across to England??

It's ok to go to the UK for abortion, but not ok here?

Why do you want to punish women at times of crisis?
    Who said anything about punishing anyone? Women have choices, if that is what they chose, unborn babies have nothing, and surely, the greatest suffering is death, and who will die in abortion..... think about it there Sherlock

Little Miss Sunshine on RTE, haven't seen it

I did- it was predictable

Also AM your post is exclusively about women. Men are involved in this issue. Have they no voice?

They may have a voice but ultimately the choice lies with the person who has to carry the pregnancy and go through childbirth. Are you really suggesting a man should be allowed to force a woman to stay pregnant against her will? That's a form of abuse as far as I'm concerned.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That 1/5 statistic is incorrect. So is the one about 90% of babies with DS being aborted.

It's correct. Iceland 100% Downs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A Mormon girl is more likely to be reading a book or baking cupcakes on a Saturday night than falling around the street drunk in a skimpy outfit and having sex with some random.
    Crikey. I don't know if you're taking the mick here, but does female sexuality scare you that much that you want all women to be "baking cupcakes on a saturday night?"

Who said anything about punishing anyone? Women have choices, if that is what they chose, unborn babies have nothing, and surely, the greatest suffering is death, and who will die in abortion..... think about it there Sherlock

Death is not the greatest suffering- Im sure everyone agrees on that. Death comes as relief to some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The actual living woman has rights to access abortion in the UK, there are options and choices if she wishes.....the unborn little baby has no protection if we remove the 8th amendment, and no right to anything, but sure don't let a little thing like that stand in your way.

“Not under my roof”, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

All assumed to be viable human beings? All considered to be more viable than the person carrying them?

You sound like Abortion is such an easy decision the mind boggles.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    They may have a voice but ultimately the choice lies with the person who has to carry the pregnancy and go through childbirth. Are you really suggesting a man should be allowed to force a woman to stay pregnant against her will? That's a form of abuse as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't suggest that but a father has to have some say and the way people talk about child birth here it's a wonder any of us were born or couples plan pregnancies and celebrate becoming pregnant.

Did you read my post at all? You know only the woman haemorrhages for days after taking abortion pills helped along by painful uterine cramps.

Did you hear the first lady speak on the lls tonight about her experience. Of course men have a voice.

We need to allow people make choices for themselves in conjunction with their doctor.

I'm assuming you close the door when you go to your doctor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

What a load of nonsense. What about all the children born who have no father in their lives? Great, isn't it?
    How do you know there is no father? You are making up scenarios out of thin air.

• Advertisement

Not correct. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iceland-eliminated-syndrome-abortion/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

LizT wrote: »
    So it's grand for women to have abortions as long as it doesn't take place in Ireland?

Not every woman has the means to take time off work/school, book a flight and a hotel and travel for abortion.

It's only €80 for illegally obtained pills that will end a pregnancy. Not one single foetus is saved by the 8th amendment. Not anymore. But the important thing is that the harlot girl or woman having the abortion gets to be really punished for it by having to either endure the trip abroad or the terror of illegally taking strong medication without medical supervision.

Now that means that many pregnant women being unable to avail of necessary healthcare and families who are grieving the loss of a baby through FFA will have to cope alone in a foreign healthcare system. But sure they can offer their suffering up to God. The important thing is that we pretend we're saving little babbies and punishing those dirty sex havers.

Have a read...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/save-the-8th-poster-statistic-abortion-3951738-Apr2018/

tbh the 1 in 4 first time I heard it was that woman on.

Try_harder wrote: »

Death is not the greatest suffering- Im sure everyone agrees on that. Death comes as relief to some
    No we don't all agree, and thank goodness for that.
    Anyways, I'm voting NO, and I'm off to bed, with my clear conscience.
    Each to their own vote, I've firmly decided my vote tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I did- it was predictable
    I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this...

Did you read my post at all? You know only the woman haemorrhages for days after taking abortion pills helped along by painful uterine cramps.

Did you hear the first lady speak on the lls tonight about her experience. Of course men have a voice.

We need to allow people make choices for themselves in conjunction with their doctor.

I'm assuming you close the door when you go to your doctor?

Does that pain justify taking an innocent life?

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this...

It won at Sundance

Have a read...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/save-the-8th-poster-statistic-abortion-3951738-Apr2018/

tbh the 1 in 4 first time I heard it was that woman on.

Cheap online journal, pro abortion as is most of the Irish media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I had a couple of questions from the debate.. but looking at ye at each others throats, I'll leave it.

Sure that question makes no sense at all.

A woman does not come to decision that she requires an abortion based on how much pain she will or won't suffer.

There are a multitude of reasons an abortion could be needed. None are my business, and none is your business.

• Advertisement

All assumed to be viable human beings? All considered to be more viable than the person carrying them?

You sound like Abortion is such an easy decision the mind boggles.

And are they not viable human beings? The mind boggles here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As is now most Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

What's your point? If more pain & hardship could be inflicted would it be justified?

Peatys wrote: »
    I had a couple of questions from the debate.. but looking at ye at each others throats, I'll leave it.

Oh come on, you never know you might get the answers

Nope. Please read:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iceland-eliminated-syndrome-abortion/

The British figures of 1 in 5 do not count women who didn’t have prenatal testing to see if their baby had DS.
    If I remember correctly, circa 68% of women opted for the testing. Of the 68% who got a positive result for DS, 90% chose to abort.
    It doesn’t count the women who didn’t avail of the testing.

There’s a big difference between that and the misleading posters being hung up around the place. It’s a manipulation of facts.

Edit: I just googled it. It’s actually 64% of women that opt for the prenatal testing. So 90% of that 64% of women.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    This is possibly correct, based on legislation and the law of Ireland. But its a bit loose to say theres nothing wrong with it. That's just a personal opinion stated. Is there a kbock-on effect,a residual effect? I suspect there is. But I'm only asking. Anthropologists, philosophers, esotericists etc could agree with you. Or perhaps not.

Others disagree. Sure they do. But if two adults decide to have sex and get enjoyment out of it then I see nothing wrong there. Furthermore, it is none of my business if two people want to have sex, and besides, I don't give a toss what others get up to in the bedroom as long as nothing illegal is involved. If anthropologists, philosophers, esotericists etc want to disagree with me then they are free to do so :D

The 1 in 5 figure includes miscarriages. On average 1 in 6 recorded pregnancies end in miscarriage. That leaves about 4% of pregnancies that end in abortion and thousands of those abortions were women from Ireland. Go educate yourself better than a blatantly bullshít poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

No we don't all agree, and thank goodness for that.
    Anyways, I'm voting NO, and I'm off to bed, with my clear conscience.
    Each to their own vote, I've firmly decided my vote tonight.
    Yeah I wasn't 100% sure myself. But I am now. No thanks at all to late late show. But thanks a million to the posters on boards tonight I will definitely now be voting NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

iguana wrote: »
    The 1 in 5 figure includes miscarriages. On average 1 in 6 recorded pregnancies end in miscarriage. That leaves about 4% of pregnancies that end in abortion and thousands of those abortions were women from Ireland. Go educate yourself better than a blatantly bullshít poster.

He isn't a "bull**** poster".

• Advertisement

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure myself. But I am now. No thanks at all to late late show. But thanks a million to the posters on boards tonight I will definitely now be voting NO.

If you would vote No just to spite some strangers on Boards.ie to get some sort of fantasy one up on them, that frankly says more about you than it does about anyone else.
    How immature. People like you shouldn’t have the privilege of a vote.

RobertKK wrote: »
    He isn't a "bull**** poster".

Poster as in the posters up on poles right now

Sure that question makes no sense at all.

A woman does not come to decision that she requires an abortion based on how much pain she will or won't suffer.

There are a multitude of reasons an abortion could be needed. None are my business, and none is your business.

Well the referendum is held because it is my business if I want to see a culture of death in my country. The right of the individual does not override the common good and protection of the weakest in our society. The ultimate judgement of a democracy.

I'm involved in farming, it pains me to make a young animal that has been put in calf at an age she can't bear it, abort. And that's an animal. I can't comprehend ending human life. That's me.

I'm going to sign off now. But thank you AM for the civil debate and others too. We all hold strong beliefs and if the situation was more personal for me I may think differently. But as of now I'm a sperm fuses with egg, human life person. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If you would vote No just to spite some strangers on Boards.ie to get some sort of fantasy one up on them, that frankly says more about you than it does about anyone else.
    How immature. People like you shouldn’t have the privilege of a vote.

Maybe he found the Yes people here unconvincing.

Well the referendum is held because it is my business if I want to see a culture of death in my country. The right of the individual does not override the common good and protection of the weakest in our society. The ultimate judgement of a democracy.

I'm involved in farming, it pains me to make a young animal that has been put in calf at an age she can't bear it, abort. And that's an animal. I can't comprehend ending human life. That's me.

I'm going to sign off now. But thank you AM for the civil debate and others too. We all hold strong beliefs and if the situation was more personal for me I may think differently. But as of now I'm a sperm fuses with egg, human life person🙂

What about the woman having the crisis, what’s your advice to her?
    I’m seeing lots of compassion for potential people but pretty much none for born living citizens (such as women) and the circumstances they find themselves in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Ironic, you'd want to educate yourself

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe he found the Yes people here unconvincing.

If that was the case he would have my full support and respect.
    It just sounds like he’s having a tantrum and trying to wind people up though.

OH NOES!!!!!!! What have we done!!!!! Quick everybody get back in our boxes before we convince more undecided to vote no.:(

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's your point? If more pain & hardship could be inflicted would it be justified?

You want my point. Killing a healthy baby is very wrong.

And are they not viable human beings? The mind boggles here too.

They may not be obviously. You regard the mothers life to be dependent on the child instead of the other way round.

Play the ball not the man. Did I hit a nerve?

Are you beyond reporting because you're a mod. A bit of advice amateur, proper mods like AM can post without insulting.

My stats are internationally verifiable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement