Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show April 27th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Galego wrote: »
    How?

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/ccase-mum-i-grieve-for-my-lost-baby-every-day-29241584.html

She said she didn't want to keep her baby, she meant she didn't want the baby when born, the state sent her off to England and had her unborn killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

This lady GP seems very compassionate and caring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

If Marie stopes clinics are such a disaster why is it ok for our Irish women to go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's going to be a long month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    I'm voting No as I feel it will save more lives and overall be the best outcome.

You want to force women to be pregnant when they don't want to be and then force the trauma of unwanted birth upon them.

What a hero.
    Omg. Get a grip pal. Nagdefy is entitled to vote how ever he bloody wants. As are you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There's a baby involved, no matter how you want to dehumanise it.

If you’re at the stage where you’re taking pills it’s not a baby. It’s a non sentient fetus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd thats 5-2 after the first leg. Agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The no side have done themselves no harm here anyway, theyve won this debate and dare i say many undecided voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Omg. Get a grip pal. Nagdefy is entitled to vote how ever he bloody wants. As are you!

And people are entitled to thrash out the issues beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Answer the question wendy

Jesus I can't cope with her patronising tone.

I couldn't imagine turning to her in a crise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A question for people who, like me, are opposed to abortion: If a close female relative or friend asked for your financial assistance with the expense of a journey to England for an abortion, would you turn her away? She has made up her mind 100% and if you aren’t prepared to help, she’ll still have the abortion, but it’ll take her several weeks to save the money. Several miserable weeks, during which the foetus will continue to develop and the required procedure will become more and more complex and invasive.

Would you simply tell this person, whom you deeply love and care about, that you’re simply not prepared to assist with the procurement of an abortion, as it goes against your strongly-held moral beliefs? Or would you accept that it is not about you, and give her whatever help she requires, especially if it means that the abortion will take place at an earlier stage of the pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Abortions are freely available to all Irish women. Ultimately it's a matter of whether the funds to have one are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm voting yes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

mzungu wrote: »
    Jaysus. What exactly do you mean by "lack of value and morals?"

Engaging in drunken sex, or unprotected sex through nothing more than desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Try_harder wrote: »
    But you cannot impose your religious beliefs on others and dress it up as a humanitarian act

I don't want to see 1 in 5 pregnancies terminated. I've a beautiful nephew with Downs. I don't want to see these children wiped out like a Nazi experiment. I'm allowed vote for the common good. The individual's choice is not the be all and end all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why do men get to discuss their health with their doctor only?

Women should be able to go in to their Dr and close the door. Abortion should be a private matter between a woman and her healthcare provider only.

You want to force women to be pregnant when they don't want to be and then force the trauma of unwanted birth upon them.

What a hero.

Exactly what is wrong with the Repeal campaign. Too many virtue signallers that have no respect for the opinions of others that disagree with them.

If Marie stopes clinics are such a disaster why is it ok for our Irish women to go there

Because pregnant Irish women seeking abortions are not to be treated compassionately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Arghus wrote: »
    It's going to be a long month.

Fecking right, I've tools most mornings trying to give me leaflets at my train station for and against, such utter scum, feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

If you’re at the stage where you’re taking pills it’s not a baby. It’s a non sentient fetus.

Of course, you have to say that. You'd probably feel bad if you admitted that you're taking a human life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No phone call for poor olga

The no side have done themselves no harm here anyway, theyve won this debate and dare i say many undecided voters.

Ah heeur,leeve it ouh......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

How did they win the debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Oh i miss that......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Not Cark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

An Ri rua wrote: »
    People will vote as they see fit. We live in a country of dullards at this moment.
    Dev's oppression is gone but we still have ****birds as a majority who are all rights and no responsibility.
    Forget your sentimentalism. Life is life. Life hurts. Its cruel and harsh. But no matter what, life must live. Pro choice is a navel gazing exercise. You can dress it up how you want. The only instance where I can see termination being justified is where a foetus is dead. Anything else is taking of life. At least if the legislation sanctioned it as such, as in USA where the state murders humans, then it would be legally sound. But to deny its the taking of LIFE is absurd and abhorrent.
    I should provide a caveat that I'm a vegan and view all life as sacred and regret when I've killed it accidentally.
    And the ironic laughable part is that so many vegans are leftie pro-choice. The mind boggles. We need a Spanish civil war type anarchic melee.
    May the best man (oops! Sentient being) win...

What we need is paragraphs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

was there a draw tonight ? the game thing ???

Oh dear god. God forbid someone had sex. "Got yourself pregnant did you? Well no abortion here. Off to England with you for a little extra punishment in your time of crisis and need."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Thought Ryan did a good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Lol. Anyone looking at the facts objectively would see that the 8th is harming women, we heard a woman testify to this tonight when she couldn't even attend the funeral of her own baby.

• Advertisement

Hardly. Between Dr Boylan and the poor woman who had to go to Liverpool and have her baby's ashes sent in the post, I'd say Yes made more of an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

mzungu wrote: »
    Ah jaysus. What exactly do you mean by "lack of value and morals?"

Meaningless sex, drunken sex, sex through nothing but desire. Do couples in marriages and long term relationships get abortions, just because they don't want to share the remote? If so then I can't agree with that.

I don't want to see 1 in 5 pregnancies terminated. I've a beautiful nephew with Downs. I don't want to see these children wiped out like a Nazi experiment. I'm allowed vote for the common good. The individual's choice is not the be all and end all.

I have relatives with downs- they like in the UK.

Allowing abortion doesnt mean downs babies will be killed. Afaik you cannot determine if a person will have downs at 12 weeks gestation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We should have had a poll tonight on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

We have lots of illegal things in Ireland which people are partaking in, heroin, cocaine, prostitution, and who knows what else. When we legislate to legalise those things that people do in secrecy, without supervision, then, I might think about voting yes for abortion. But will good old Ireland try to legislate or de-criminalize drugs/ prostitution etc? Hell no, and I'll be voting no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don't think so. The doctors were far more reasonable and logical. No side burying their heads in the sand, sticking fingers in their ears. No acknowledgment of the realities of what's happening.

There will be no provision for abortion purely on the case of Downs Syndrome. It can't be detected before 12 weeks. It was introduced by the no side to muddy the waters of this debate.

I'm voting no, hard cases make bad laws and healthy women having the lives of healthy unborn ended is wrong for me. People should be supportive of women in crisis pregnancies as should the state and work to make the lives of all easier.

Dr Peter Boylan is a rock of sense. He always came across as a considered,well read and an intellectual well spoken gentleman.

Meaningless sex, drunken sex, sex through nothing but desire. Do couples in marriages and long term relationships get abortions, just because they don't want to share the remote? If so then I can't agree with that.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    We have lots of illegal things in Ireland which people are partaking in, heroin, cocaine, prostitution, and who knows what else. When we legislate to legalise those things that people do in secrecy, without supervision, then, I might think about voting yes for abortion. But will good old Ireland try to legislate or de-criminalize drugs/ prostitution etc? Hell no, and I'll be voting no.

I really feel none of what have you posted is about women and their healthcare which is what the 8th amendment is about

amdublin wrote: »
    Why do men get to discuss their health with their doctor only?

Women should be able to go in to their Dr and close the door. Abortion should be a private matter between a woman and her healthcare provider only.

It is not healthcare when it is healthy woman, wanting to end the lives of healthy unborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Try_harder wrote: »
    I have relatives with downs- they like in the UK.

Allowing abortion doesnt mean downs babies will be killed. Afaik you cannot determine if a person will have downs at 12 weeks gestation

You can and over 90% aborted in the UK.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Abortions are freely available to all Irish women. Ultimately it's a matter of whether the funds to have one are available.

And its a matter if they can line up childcare for their other children while they are treated.

And its a matter if they can get a visa, if needed, to travel

And its a matter if they can get time off work

A question for people who, like me, are opposed to abortion: If a close female relative or friend asked for your financial assistance with the expense of a journey to England for an abortion, would you turn her away? She has made up her mind 100% and if you aren’t prepared to help, she’ll still have the abortion, but it’ll take her several weeks to save the money. Several miserable weeks, during which the foetus will continue to develop and the required procedure will become more and more complex and invasive.

Would you simply tell this person, whom you deeply love and care about, that you’re simply not prepared to assist with the procurement of an abortion, as it goes against your strongly-held moral beliefs? Or would you accept that it is not about you, and give her whatever help she requires, especially if it means that the abortion will take place at an earlier stage of the pregnancy?

Depends on the circumstances. If for example it was a case of a rape, there is no way on earth i would expect a loved one to carry her rapists baby and give birth to he/she. it would put severe strain on the mother.

If it was because pregnancy was inconvenient to her at the time, I would be sure to offer her support and help before she made a decision that she may regret. It isnt black and white an issue.

Exactly what is wrong with the Repeal campaign. Too many virtue signallers that have no respect for the opinions of others that disagree with them.

Yes but using pejorative terms like virtue signallers are very respectful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Repeal side did a terrific job tonight imo, the save the 8th bit of a disaster, little detail and came across angry, repeating same boring sound bites

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm voting no, hard cases make bad laws and healthy women having the lives of healthy unborn ended is wrong for me. People should be supportive of women in crisis pregnancies as should the state and work to make the lives of all easier.

What type of support are you talking about? If I got pregnant in the morning and didn't want the child, what support could be provided to me to prevent abortion?

Uncharted wrote: »
    Dr Peter Boylan is a rock of sense. He always came across as a considered,well read and an intellectual well spoken gentleman.

He tells lies about Savita, no report backs up his claims.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

People should be supportive of women making choices for themselves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement