Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural survey report has us worried - please help

Options
  • 26-04-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Property has an attic which was converted into two storage rooms and a wc. Engineer has said in his report the following, "the attic conversion appears to be inadequately supported with insufficient support for the floor of the attic. It does not appear to be resting on any structural walls, especially the party walls. Bracing is poor."

Is this a problem which is fixable? If so, how should we broach with seller? Planning permission was not required for the conversion.

What would the likely cost be of fixing? We intend to use the attic for storage mainly and a recreation room.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Budget 10-15k to allow for removal of existing finishes, repairs and reinstatement of finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Former Dublin BlowIns

kceire wrote: »
    Budget 10-15k to allow for removal of existing finishes, repairs and reinstatement of finishes.

Thanks kceire. Anyone else any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I agree. I would build some contingency into the estimated cost of rectifying and go for €20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No, its a common problem caused by dodgy builders. Budget for a new attic refit like Kceire said, although if its done really badly drop another few grand onto it for contingency.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

We ended up walking away from a property with an issue like this. (walked away for different reasons)
    The conversion likely isn't compliant with building regs so your lender may take a dim view. In our case the bank dropped the mortage offer by the cost of the repair works. They would release the funds once the repair works were completed successfully. Just something to bear in mind.
    The house we were looking at was old so a survey was required by the lender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I don't understand this, did the builders not use steel support beams when converting? Is 'Bracing is poor' referring to the timber support struts? Generally
    speaking the knee walls provide adequate support for the original rafters.

The best advice is probably talk to your structural engineer directly to clarify.

If it's any consolation, I've never seen an engineer's report that was satisfied with an attic conversion. It's one of their pet hates.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Here's some info from another site which may help your decision:
    Are Steel beams used in attic conversions?
    Yes, Steel beams known as RSJs are used. RSJ is an abbreviation of rolled steel joist and is also known as an I beam, steel beam or girder. The main functions of RSJ's in the attic are to provide new structural support to the roof and new suspended floor as the original support structure is compromised to facilitate your new attic room. Important note: The correct gage RSJ must be used to comply with building regulations, this is dictated by the span and load it is required to travel and carry for your conversion.

What is a suspended floor?
    A suspended floor, also known as an independent floor are anchored to the RSJ's (see note above) . This type of floor system is totally independent of the ceiling located directly below it, therefore there is no weight transfer from your new attic floor to the existing ceiling or ceiling joists below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

M.Cribben wrote: »
    I don't understand this, did the builders not use steel support beams when converting? Is 'Bracing is poor' referring to the timber support struts? Generally
    speaking the knee walls provide adequate support for the original rafters.

The best advice is probably talk to your structural engineer directly to clarify.

If it's any consolation, I've never seen an engineer's report that was satisfied with an attic conversion. It's one of their pet hates.

I'd guess it's a bodge job that didn't use RSJs. They probably just cut the rafters out to empty the space, and then laid the boards direct on the rafters. It wouldn't be the first or last attic conversion done like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that if the space is used for non-storage use, you may need to do major fire safety work (if the attic is on the second floor) and/or need planning permission (all cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Former Dublin BlowIns

Thanks everyone. Update is as follows. Structural engineer says floating floor was used in the conversion. Says this is a fire safety concern. Solution is to install two supporting beams length ways in the attic and for the floor to rest on these. Parts are hard to get apparently and are and expensive. Said can't use RSJs in this case as wouldn't be able to support the weight. Beams would be wooden

• Advertisement
Advertisement