Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike found

Options
  • 26-04-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, my daughters bike was stolen in the city, about 7 months ago, anyway I have have found it locked to some railings, looks like its been there since and was moved to be collected later but never was, it only a small lock but what course of action should I take? bolt cutters and into the car? we didn't report it and I don't have the serial number of the bike to confirm it is hers but it definitely is. unless bike shops keep serials for 11 years...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi Guys, my daughters bike was stolen in the city, about 7 months ago, anyway I have have found it locked to some railings, looks like its been there since and was moved to be collected later but never was, it only a small lock but what course of action should I take? bolt cutters and into the car? we didn't report it and I don't have the serial number of the bike to confirm it is hers but it definitely is. unless bike shops keep serials for 11 years...

If you can say it's definitely yours then take it.

Some of them locks a few pulls and they snap.

Is there any identifying marks let's say??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

yeah the badge had gone off the front, but no way to prove, other than they are original tires it got that little use!

I've only the pictures of when she got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't have the serial number of the bike to confirm it is hers but it definitely is
    asked above, but how do you know?
    if it's the original tyres, that's not a distinguishing feature, since they would have all been sold with those.

contact your local garda station and ask for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If you are not sure, you could be stealing someone’s property.

• Advertisement

10 1/2 years old had little use and still on original tyres... I only have pictures of it when it was new. but I looked at the frame and there seems to be some weld marks on it visible on the picture. they have to be pretty unique. jEx8pH

https://ibb.co/jEx8pH

thats from a picture of a bike when it was new.

oh and btw its not far from where it was stolen..

oh and I've been past the bike a few times this week its not moving.

I've just emailed the retailer on the chance they kept a record going back to 2007......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A brother had similar, bike stolen from the front of the home of the then Minister of Justice Michael McDowell, which itself suggests a Garda had found something more pleasant to do than his duty. Found in UCD. He put his lock on it, and left a note suggesting the thief or his customer take off his lock. I'd suggest the same.

Everyone needs to take a picture of their bike's serial #. Not all Donedeal thieves are bothered to hide that detail.

I had a closer look at it today in the clear light of days and while it is the identical bike it I don't think it is hers. some wear and tear marks and a bike shop sticker from a bike shop in rathgar on it so unless the thief stole it and stuck a sticker on it it is not the same bike. I also looked at the lock and its prime for taking! probably could have broken it with my hand it already had a lot of cuts on it. but I am not a theif! I did actually stop a guard on my way out to look at it. he said I should have reported the theft, but also said if I believe it is mine go a head and steal it back....I guess you can't steal what is yours right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If you have the frame number, check it if you can get at it, and then lock the bike with your own lock and call the Guards.

If you don't have the frame number, phone the bike shop where you bought it, there's a possibility that they recorded it - they should, but don't always.

Advertisement