Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win10

Options
  • 27-04-2018 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Have a laptop that won't boot to windows 10. It keeps bringing me to repair mode which doesn't work. I downloaded media creation tool onto usn and started reapair and it tried to fix it but got message saying could not be repaired. I now want to do a reset but tried that off the hard drive and it doesn't work. If I try it off the USB will I be prompted for product key. I have to delete partitions . Is the product key on hard drive or is it held in the bios.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If Win10 is native OS, it will activate automagically - no key needed

If Win10 is not native OS, it should activate automagically, but have OEM key just in case. Some reading:
    Reinstalling Windows 10 after upgrade
    How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 the Easy Way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

If Win10 is native OS, it will activate automagically - no key needed

If Win10 is not native OS, it should activate automagically, but have OEM key just in case. Some reading:
    Reinstalling Windows 10 after upgrade
    How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 the Easy Way
    Thanks. Don't have key is it possible to get it from laptop. The laptop is under guarantee do you think this would be covered.

Thanks. Don't have key is it possible to get it from laptop. The laptop is under guarantee do you think this would be covered.
    1. Did you get laptop from retailer/shop?
    2. What OS was on it originally?
    If it is still under 1 year manufacturer warranty, you, most likely, got win10 OS native - no key needed, it will activate.

If it was "in-place" upgrade from Win7/8/8.1 - no key needed, it will activate.
    In rare case, as per article i linked, if activation doesn't kick in right away, you could activate by providing OEM key
    Win7 machines would have sticker with key, later editions don't. You could google "reading windows key from bios", but don't think you need it.
    Note: I do not promote third party tools, do it on you own risk

In any case you have to install same edition of Windows(Home, Pro) you had, or activation will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

sugarman wrote: »
    Key is stored in the bios, it'll reactivate once the os is reinstalled. As mentioned, it has to be the same version of Windows installed for it to work i.e Home or Pro.
    I actually started to install last night but got a message about gpt disk and having to delete drive so stopped installation. If I go ahead wilbit delete recovery partition and will that boid my guarantee.

Sounds like you not certain what you're doing.

Consult you retailer. If it is under warranty - let them handle it for you, however i doubt OS is covered, data certainly not.
    If retailer refuse service it under warranty - then you nothing to loose, come back here, you get assistance "how to".

• Advertisement
Advertisement