Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo @ E3 2018 - News/Predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

sligeach wrote: »
    You know what we've missed today? Well a lot. No Metroid Prime 4, no Pikmin 4, no Yoshi, no Shin Megami Tensei V, no Bayonetta 3.....

Sorry, I got distracted. What I meant to say is we still haven't heard so much as a squeak from Retro Studios. What the hell have they been doing for the past 4 years?

Their project was cancelled is the rumour
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    We'll look at it this way, if Nintendo had of had a great E3 you wouldn't have had anything to complain about ;)

This crap again...

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    We'll look at it this way, if Nintendo had of had a great E3 you wouldn't have had anything to complain about ;)

I've never seen such dissapointment from a console someone doesn't own :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For all the snidey comments there are plenty people who own the console who thought it was a ****e presentation as well.

• Tis out downloading now fairly long dlwd too

I've seen clips. Looks like it's running quite well in handheld
    Il pick it up later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Let's keep it civil lads and lassies, plenty of room for all sorts of opinions on Nintendo's presentation rather than expressing opinions on each other.
    It may be particularly important around E3 as it does seem to bring out the worst in some people, so let's try and make the Nintendo forum better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That was ****e! E3 as a whole has been lackluster. It has the feel of a generation winding down, at least for Sony & MS. What they have, they hold.

It was a chance for Nintendo to steel some shine but if they haven't got anything to show, they can't create something out of thin air.

Metroid looks like late 2019 or 2020 at this stage.

Fire Emblem looks great though. Love that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That was ****e! E3 as a whole has been lackluster. It has the feel of a generation winding down, at least for Sony & MS. What they have, they hold.

It was a chance for Nintendo to steel some shine but if they haven't got anything to show, they can't create something out of thin air.

Metroid looks like late 2019 or 2020 at this stage.

Fire Emblem looks great though. Love that series.

I think Nintendo have slowed down big time since this time last year, which is understandable as Odyssey or Breath of the Wild were both in development a while but their reliance on WiiU games has came home to roost.
    As Metroid is way off (shown far too early, would have been smarter to reveal it today for instance), the proper Pokemon RPG is still in the oven for at least another year and Fire Emblem isn't out until next year. Bayonetta 3 is a bit off I imagine, same with Animal Crossing or anything big they have for Mario or Zelda.
    The Online Service out in September has still not been explained as is the virtual console's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did they mention something about a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was a Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct three weeks after E3 last year.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was another Direct in early July this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Mr E wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was another Direct in early July this year too.

MORE SMASH BROS! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure if I missed it in the main presentation, but Killer Queen Black is confirmed for the winter. Just saw the trailer and don't understand why it has been put on a pedestal. Doesn't look that special.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was to promote Splatoon 2 which launched a couple of weeks later and was a major title. What would be in this one? I don't think they've anything big lined up in the next while. The last Direct was 3 months ago and the one before that was the Mini Direct back in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure if I missed it in the main presentation, but Killer Queen Black is confirmed for the winter. Just saw the trailer and don't understand why it has been put on a pedestal. Doesn't look that special.

Apparently it's extremely popular in most arcades it's in as a multiplayer game. I guess they are trying to use it for the multiple Switches together type play. Will be interesting to see it's take up.

sligeach wrote: »

That was to promote Splatoon 2 which launched a couple of weeks later and was a major title. What would be in this one? I don't think they've anything big lined up in the next while. The last Direct was 3 months ago and the one before that was the Mini Direct back in early January.

Yeah very little hope of it happening

I feel like they are missing the appeal of the switch a bit and trying to make it the wii

It's not primarily a multilayer console

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

naughtb4 wrote: »

I feel like they are missing the appeal of the switch a bit and trying to make it the wii

The Wii had extensive 3rd party support, from all of the big publishers, with titles developed for it that still sang despite the technical superiority of the competition.
    The Switch has only indie support, EA doesn't seem interested at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Did they mention something about a sale?

Tomorrow
    https://e3.nintendo.com/sale/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

Is this not what it was aimed for since day one :confused: i've always got the impression that they where marking the multiplayer and connecting of switchs !
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Wii had extensive 3rd party support, from all of the big publishers, with titles developed for it that still sang despite the technical superiority of the competition.
    We seem to be bogged down in this indie and aaa when infact there is more to it than that.
    AAA titles dont interest me in the slightest for the most part and that goes accros all consoles i much prefer to find hidden gems and the likes.
    Indies /smaller studios are far more apealling ,granted some indie titles fit the catergory better as they feel low budget/ cheaply made but most aren't that "cheap"
    These threads are a bit gloomy in general these days ,but if like me you pick up your switch there is an abundance of good games on the horizon and already available. I would like some other games to come to switch but hey ho that has always been the problem of multiplatform you'll always miss out on something.

geotrig wrote: »
    Is this not what it was aimed for since day one :confused: i've always got the impression that they where marking the multiplayer and connecting of switchs !

Yes but if you look at polls online etc, the Switch is played primarily as a handheld, and I doubt these are people hunched around a 6 inch screen playing multiplayer MK8 - its the exception rather than the rule

Maybe its different in Japan, but from reading here, and in other locations, the appeal of the Switch is the take anywhere aspect (which screams single player) as opposed to the party games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

For me the switch is starting to stink of wii u loads of promise but ultimately not enough support and some massive failings. I am sick to death of Indy games and little nice to haves like fallout shelter a phone game basically. The lack of a proper online + cloud save system well into the life of the console is unforgivable in the year 2018 (nothing in E3 about the lauch in Sep has me worried), Even Vita had a better online system then this thing. Unreliable hardware with dodgy joycons already a large problem (mine currently with Nintendo for repair)

I was fine I said E3 will sort a lot of my issues out and all will be forgiven, but nothing in E3 the biggest highlight being a free game that is on all other consoles for months and months, a presentation on smash brother that I'm sorry bored the life out of me, talk about dragging the sh** out of it going through all the characters and their finishers REALLY?

No 3rd party support apart from a watered down version of Fifa19, and lets be honest all the 1st party support are retreads of games I have been playing since the N64 (mario party, smash) . Nintendo has run out of ideas, Its failed on its UI and Online, its failed on its promise of 3rd party support. Its times Nintendo pulled up its socks and started competing or else this switch will sink as fast as it grew in its first 12 months, Nintendo needs to sort its sh** out with its online, cloud, support and innovations. It needs to stop robbing its fan base by not giving some good value for money like other companies have like game sharing ( having to buy two copies of a game in a family is these days is just wrong), free current gen games with online (not old hat NES games), A system like Ea Access or Game Pass, but no instead we have to pay way over the odds for an old ported game, Doom €60 Nintendo, €10 PS + Xbox, South Park the same, Skyrim the same and so on and so on. Overpriced accessories and yet again the need to but extra storage from the get go.

Nintendo had the right idea with switch but had absolutely shocking implementation and the only reason the get away with is is because they are "Nintendo". Now saying all that I really hope they get it sorted and quick I want to see this console succeed I want more hybrid consoles in the future.

Ok rant over, for those that read to the end thanks for putting up with my bad grammar spelling and punctuation :D , and for those that are very happy with Nintendo I am sorry but its just one mans opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

@Lord Spence - gotta say I agree with a lot of what you wrote; I like my Switch and haven't given it enough time really (due to real life getting in the way) but strip away the handful of truly amazing first party games it seems like there isn't too much there. I think I'm spoiled as having a decent PC as my main gaming option, as it means when I see a game on the Switch which costs 4x the Steam price, it's just not an option for me. The Nintendo ecosystem is just soooo expensive and if you've the ability to go elsewhere for third party games (such as the excellent indies available across many platforms) it's just wasting cash getting them on the Switch...

That being said I'm not going to sell it or anything, just holding out hope for more amazing first party titles in the future and maybe some backpedaling on 'robbing the fan base' (accurate assessment IMHO) in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I wonder what the thing was with the Wii that attracted many 3rd party devs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Third Party support will probably pick up next year with the release of Pokn. It's slow off the ground due to hesitation in supporting the platform after the flop of the WiiU but Japanese studios are now supporting it and moving away from the 3DS and Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I'm likely among very few here, but I wanted another New Super Luigi 2d platformer this e3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Third Party support will probably pick up next year with the release of Pokn.

I'd be astonished if it can run most of the stuff 3rd parties showed in general at E3.
    When Sony & Microsoft reveal their next gen consoles and development starts on them we will barely see anyone making Switch games bar Nintendo & Indies.
    I like the Switch but I'm not interested in only buying a portable WiiU library.
    I think Nintendo need to know when to move on from the Switch as it was not powerful enough day one, years after the PS4 & Xbox One launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I get peoples being disappointed with nintendo at e3 so far as i am and the slow 3d rparty support but the comparison to the wiiu is excessive. 2018 might not be as stacked as we want but still to come out this year are octopath, mario tennis, mario party, dark souls, wolfenstein 2, crash nsane, smash, pokemon, monster hunter xx, captain toad, travis strikes again, the world ends with you, okami, db fighterz, tales of vesperia and thats just what we know so far as with the 4 big directs a year theres still likely stuff to be announced in later directs.

Look back at the wiiu from e3 on after its second e3 on the market and the only games i see of note are hyrule warriors, bayonetta 1 + 2 and smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Looks like I'm definitely in the minority of people who thought the e3 Direct was good. We were told before it started there would be a big focus on Smash. We were told there would be a separate Direct for Switch Online details.
    And i much prefer them focusing mostly on games that are coming out soon rather than years down the road. Not like the approach Ubisoft took with BGAE2. That game is likely a minimum of 2 or 3 years away. People will get sick of teaser trailers for games that are nowhere close to release.
    We got Fortnite straight away. We're getting DLC for Splatoon 2 straight away. Mario tennis, Mario party, wolfenstein 2 is almost out. Gonna be a busy few months for me on Switch.

I wonder what the thing was with the Wii that attracted many 3rd party devs.

The Wii had a massive install base. Switch may have sold 18 million but the PS4 and XBOX1 combined has about 120 million. Then add in PC and God only knows where it's at. Anyway, the Wii was also much cheaper to develop for and it was non HD.

magnumbud wrote: »
    I get peoples being disappointed with nintendo at e3 so far as i am and the slow 3d rparty support but the comparison to the wiiu is excessive. 2018 might not be as stacked as we want but still to come out this year are octopath, mario tennis, mario party, dark souls, wolfenstein 2, crash nsane, smash, pokemon, monster hunter xx, captain toad, travis strikes again, the world ends with you, okami, db fighterz, tales of vesperia and thats just what we know so far as with the 4 big directs a year theres still likely stuff to be announced in later directs.

Look back at the wiiu from e3 on after its second e3 on the market and the only games i see of note are hyrule warriors, bayonetta 1 + 2 and smash.

The majority of the games you listed for Switch there are ports.

Without even remembering or going back through the dates, there was still Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi's Woolly World, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Breath of the Wild. Maybe others like Paper Mario: Colour Splash. It got some good Indies too throughout its life, SteamWorld Heist, Axiom Verge and others came after your date. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where Wii U died, it was mortally wounded very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Guys, look on the bright side here. Their direct wasn't all bad, there were no 3ds games. Maybe it's dead and Nintendo will be able to fully focus on switch from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Aw jeez.

On the plus side I was playing Hollow Knight most of the evening and this morning too... so there's that. Maybe that's what gaming is all about or something... having actual good games to play.

For the first time I am feeling a bit concerned about Nintendo and worried about the Switch. Could it really just sink like the WiiU?

You can tell everyone is so deflated. What did we expect though?

Is it better to compare the Switch to the 3DS instead of sitting here thinking "maybe Fallout76 will be on Switch" or "Maybe Assassins Creed Odyssey will be on Switch"? What's the point in even speculating if these games will arrive or not? We know they won't.

EVERY big AAA developer is now looking to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S as the place to have their newest games and I reckon we are not far off the point where we will see "Game X is no good on the launch PS4 and Xbox, you need to upgrade to enjoy the game".

Some are even looking to the next generation of consoles now and so that means you can forget about 3rd party AAA on the Switch.

So I'm wondering if Nintendo ought to have gone with a fully powerful console to rival the PS4 and Xbox One. That way we'd be sitting here looking forward to all those multi-platform games we've seen from Ubisoft and Bethesda etc PLUS Super Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Octopath, Mario Party etc.

However, if I balance that against being able to play Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and my collection of indie games on the go... I don't know. I already have a PS4 so isn't the portable Switch pretty much ideal for someone like me?

The ridiculous hype and hunt for leaks leading up to E3 kind of just spoils the whole thing. I am certain Bethesda wanted to reveal Rage 2 on stage at E3 but they were spoiled and I am sure the hastily arranged Fallout76 build up and reveal was because they knew leaks were coming. Same with Assassins Creed Odyssey. The reveal was ruined.

The Direct would have been better if "Fortnite Battle Royale is available on Switch right now" would have been an actual surprise? I don't know.

I love Super Smash Bros and cannot wait for December. I'm also picking up Mario Tennis next Friday. I'll grab both Octopath and Captain Toad in July. Will have a blast with Splatoon 2's expansion tomorrow I'm sure. Dark Souls on the go? Can't wait. Xenoblade 2 expansion looks great. Love Mario+Rabbids and that Donkey Kong Expansion is interesting.

I doubt I'll pick up the Pokemon games but again I feel like the leaks ruined the possibility of this being a big reveal at E3.

Even on top of that I feel like there is still more expectation. I wanted a Xenoblade X port and a Mario Galaxy remaster and news about the online service. Fallout 3 for Switch. New Vegas maybe. FF7 remaster. Etc etc etc.

On one hand it's like the hype just outstrips not only what is realistic but also how much time I actually have to play games anyway. On the other hand it just feels like the Switch has so little to offer compared to Microsofts ridiculous parade of trailers.

I think Nintendo's thinking is to show very little at E3 because leaks usually ruin any big announcements and you can control this more effectively with the sporadic directs. Also it's a bit pointless to just show trailers of games that are years off. There is also the issue with hype for one game ruining the push of another game. For example, I think the Splatoon 2 release coming so soon after Arms took the wind out of Arms' sails and probably a lot of people would pick one or the other but not both.

So if you do an announcement of 10 BIG games at E3 you reduce the impact of all the games across the board and with a smaller install base for the Switch this might not be the best thing to do?

In my opinion Nintendo needs to take a "Death Stranding" approach to marketing their exclusive franchises. This thing is an original IP that they showed at E3 2016 then again at E3 2017 and then again at E3 2018 and we still don't have a release date but people are going crazy over this game.

They needed to have this approach with Metroid 4, Bayonetta 3 plus whatever else they are working on. If it won't even be here until 2020 it's OK to show at E3 2018. FFS Bethesda appeared to be teasing games that we may not see until 2022 and Ubisoft are only offering a behind closed doors look at Beyond Good & Evil 2.

So if Metroid is announced in 2017 then show a bit of a story trailer in 2018 and tell people what the game might be. Do the same with Bayonetta. Do the same with Yoshi and Pokemon.

Or am I wrong here and it's the gamers that are the problem? I read a comment on another site from a guy raging that he could have gone out to dinner with his wife but he stayed home to watch "this total sh!t show". I'm thinking dude you are a married man getting annoyed because you stayed home to watch a series of video game trailers and they weren't the trailers you wanted.

So you've got all this massive hype for E3 and all these leaks spoiling a bunch of announcements and then Nintendo just says "we've got Smash Bros coming up and here's a look at that, goodbye" and people are freaking out.

I feel like this is just going to happen on repeat year after year. All of the big multi-platform developers will ignore Nintendo and Switch owners will see a parade of awesome and cutting edge games that they will never play on Switch. Maybe once every 3 to 5 years Nintendo will give us a new Zelda or Mario or OMFG Mario Kart 9 Nintendo WINS E3!!!

The only way I can see this turning around is if the Switch sells enough units and enough of the indies are coming out and saying "60% of our sales are on Switch" then maybe franchises that don't do quite so well on the multi-platforms like Dishonored or Watchdogs will become Switch exclusives where they can make good sales by having less competition. After all if you are only selling 1.5 million on Xbox, PC and PS4 combined but you could sell 2 million on Switch then doesn't it make more sense to develop for Switch and then port to the others later?

I am pretty bummed out about the whole thing. Feels like WiiU potentially happening again.

From an actual gaming perspective though (as in just ignoring the BS and thinking about just playing games) I dunno. Would I rather have my Switch sitting at home with DK Tropical Freeze AND FarCry 5 installed and ready to play or would I rather be able to play DK:TC on my commute or my lunch break or wherever else I might be.

If you want portable then you have to forget new AAA because we are never getting that on Nintendo again without sacrificing the "portable" aspect. Unless the Nintendo NX 2022 is going to be a tablet that streams games or something.

What would have been the minimum required to turn this around?

Fallout 3/New Vegas on Switch coming October 2018?
    Metroid 4 story trailer with no release date?
    Bayonetta 3 gameplay glimpse with no release date?
    Pikmin tease?
    F Zero tease?
    Pokemon 2019 very brief tease?
    Mario Odyssey DLC?
    Arms 2 coming sometime in the future?

As it stands it just feels like they delivered so little and that in turn makes it feel like they have so little currently in the pipeline. They needed to show EVERYTHING that they've got in the works for 2018. Then show gameplay or story snippets of a few things they have for 2019 (I mean like 4 or 5 games). Then focus on indies in a way so that more and more indies end up saying "holy crap we are making 60+% of our sales on Switch". Then finish off by VERY BRIEFLY teasing 2020.

We got:

Daemon X Machina - 2019
    Xenoblade 2 expansion/prequel/DLC people are saying it's going to be available as a standalone? September 2018.
    Pokemon Let's Go - already leaked so whatever - November 2018
    Super Mario Party - October 2018
    Fire Emblem - 2019
    Fortnite - Available immediately - already leaked online so whatever.
    Overcooked 2 - August 2018
    Killer Queen Black - 2018
    Hollow Knight - available right way (very nice! I was f-ing delighted with this!)
    Octopath July 2018
    Then a whole bunch of games coming up in 2018 including Mario Tennis, Paladins, Minecraft, Caoptain Toad, Dark Souls, Wolfenstein 2, The World Ends With You etc.
    Then 20+ minutes of Smash where people with ADHD started freaking out because it's "boring". Haha. What?
    Splatoon 2 expansion - coming this week. Nice!

Am I out of my mind to say "that's not good enough Nintendo"? How many games do people need?

Oof this is a long post. Pretty bummed out. Not sure if I should be. Glad I could vent.

Advertisement