Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo @ E3 2018 - News/Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

oh for god sake back again now for more smash bros.

I agree, this is bad. Do they really think that everyone sees this game as some sort of second coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Smash Brothers is a niche game on a niche console. To put this much focus on it now is not going to convince anyone outside of the already converted to buy it or the Switch.

I gave up on the Nintendo show, and started watching this instead.

Honestly... what were they thinking? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Smash Brothers is a niche game on a niche console. To put this much focus on it now is not going to convince anyone outside of the already converted to buy it or the Switch.

Is it really niche though? They seem to have been putting more and more weight behind each installment since the GC version. I would think it's in their top 5 best selling IPs now, surely?

So I pressed play on the Nintendo Treehouse just now. Guess what's on? Go on, you'll never guess it right. :p
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Super Mario party looks nice. Love the super clean UI.

What is it people hate about the more recent mario parties? And has this any promise to change that? I haven't played one since N64.

Well I have Mario Party 10 for the Wii U and it's a disaster. They removed single player, the games are uninspired, there's very little choice and a whole lot of twee ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

magnumbud wrote: »
    I'm watchinh right now and its mario and rabbids dlc. Hasn't been smash in over an hour

Do dlc was before "speed showcase" which was smash Bros fast characters. Next is the tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Do dlc was before "speed showcase" which was smash Bros fast characters. Next is the tennis.

Ninja delete. Was half an hour behind and have no idea how

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm gonna try Smash at some point since I have it on Wii U. also have the Wii version which was convenient since needed it to ...um ...update the vWii on the Wii U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Daemon X Machina looked really great on Treehouse. The Direct needed more surprises like this. Multiplayer confirmed during the show as well. Quite a few 'Armored Core' developers working on it.

Octopath Traveller seems a deceivingly big game. They mentioned during it's segment that you'll need between 80-100 hours to complete the game with all sidequests.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    So I pressed play on the Nintendo Treehouse just now. Guess what's on? Go on, you'll never guess it right. :p
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

OK, you will guess right this time. ;) Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Just like Nintendo's Treehouse Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Really good interview with Reggie on Bloomberg, answering tough questions about stock price etc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-06-13/nintendo-loves-to-surprise-people-fils-aime-says-video

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In hindsight, Daemon Ex Machina looks amazing, but I would need to know how the gameplay works, the campaign, is it a Armoured Core type game, is it like Virtual On?
    Just the tragedy is devoting so much to Smash Bros, when there were other interesting titles out there.
    I mean, they devoted the entire E3 to BotW two years ago, and given the impact that game had we can see why.
    But SSBU is simply not that game instead, by their own admission, it is an port/update of the last SSB game and might be a big deal with fans of the series surely doesn't have the attraction that a LoZ title has.
    So, are we waiting instead on another Direct or the TGS in September for something, anything at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Smash brothers is a huge franchis though averaging about 8 million units sold over the 5 games released so far. It's just as big a draw as LoZ. So I can see why Nintendo dedicated so much time to it, although they did go a little overboard too be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In hindsight, Daemon Ex Machina looks amazing, but I would need to know how the gameplay works, the campaign, is it a Armoured Core type game, is it like Virtual On?

Daemon x Machina starts at 6:29:18

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was the time devoted to the little details, the Starfox Zero uniforms on Fox and Falco for example.
    Such time might have been better devoted to Fifa 19 or a date for Dark Souls Remastered.
    Anything really.
    Even something on the new portable only Switch bundle.

I will keep the faith, and believe that more will be seen in the coming months, but I had hoped that 3rd party development of Switch specific titles from established franchises would be starting to appear now, such as a Far Cry or Castlevania spinoff for example.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Daemon x Machina starts at 6:29:18

Thanks for that, looks a little clearer, but I'd love to see more on the campaign mode, how the story line is structured.
    But still, it looks very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

But SSBU is simply not that game instead, by their own admission, it is an port/update of the last SSB game and might be a big deal with fans of the series surely doesn't have the attraction that a LoZ title has.

FFS Nintendo have spent so much development time just porting WiiU games.
    Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Donkey Kong, Treasure Tracker & even Splatoon is like an annual upgrade. But they then develop actual new games for secondary titles like Yoshi, Kirby & the feckless Mario Party.

Some games have such a similar structure to the previous title it's hard to say what is a port and what is a brand new title, franchises that straddle hardware generations are always going to maximise profit by bringing Assassins Creed and Far Cry, not to mention GTA, to as many punters as possible.
    And so it is with the likes of Splatoon/2 for example.
    And rebuilding the game engine for a new console is typical too, and using Unreal or whatever is typical also across gens too.
    So I'm not insulted by ports or updates.
    Plus, the lack of WiiU owners means so many people have the chance to play great games for the first time, so that's cool too, bring them on!
    But the hopes for the E3 were so many and heartfelt, everyone seems to be disappointed.
    The only people who appear happy and enthusiastic are the Smash Bros fans and those people who are simply delighted to see so many other people disappointed in Nintendo.
    A stumble in momentum at this point could only be a bad thing, in terms of announcements of big deal titles for the Switch, maybe the great unwashed will accept Smash Bros as being that big ticket title that will carry the system into 2019, I don't know.
    E3 2019 will surely be overwhelmed with new console announcements, with a new Xbox and PS previewed for their 2020 releases, and the Switch may drift further into the middle distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

But SSBU is simply not that game instead, by their own admission, it is an port/update of the last SSB game

They have said it's been built from the ground up

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-smash-bros-ultimate-interview-brand-new-game-than-wii-u
    "It's definitely not an update," Treehouse localization manager Nate Bihldorff tells USgamer in a conversation during E3. "It's a brand new game built from the ground up. As far as it being a 'sequel,' I don't really think of Smash Bros. games as being sequels, they're just new Smash Bros. games. Everything has been built brand new. Of course you see returning characters and returning movesets, but that's sort of the nature of a fighting game. You obviously want to bring in new players, but you have to satisfy core players. If I'm playing Mario and I don't have a good Up and B, I'm going to be writing my local congressman to get it changed. It's a tough balance, but yeah, it's a brand new game."

• Advertisement

Horse$hit, as was Reggie's "I don't know" response when questioned about why Nintendo's share price took a tumble during E3(I'm referring back to Mr E's post about Reggie this morning). Nintendo's stock price has been falling very slowly since about 23rd January as I'm sure investors are concerned about the lack of new games from Nintendo. Labo has been a bit of a failure. Anyway, if you look at the chart below you'll see Nintendo's share price at 3pm GMT on Tuesday at the close of business, 2 hours before Nintendo's E3 Direct.
    Dfo80Q7W0AE2oXL.jpg

At the very start of business on Wednesday the share price took a very sharp downwards turn and it's been falling since. You'll also notice that the share price had been rising slightly in the lead up to E3 as investors had been anticipating a good show from Nintendo. That was completely wiped out and a lot more besides after a poor and disappointing E3. You can check it out in more detail below:

http://www.google.com/search?q=TYO:7974

If you believe "It's a brand new game built from the ground up" then you’re living in a world of make believe, with flowers and bells and leprechauns and magic frogs with funny little hats. It's not entirely a port but it's certainly not entirely a new game either. The way they went on about even the minunest detail, it's like they were trying to convince everyone "see, see, it's not a port".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a fair drop alright. Kind of baffled as to why they'd ignore the 3DS/2DS too. There's still a huge market out there for it, it's a complementary system to the Switch rather than a competitor and they're still launching new consoles - see the new Zelda 2DS.

Don't really care if Smash Brothers is a port or not personally. I still think they should port everything they released on the Wii U to the Switch. Smash Brothers is just a game I'm never going to have any interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Horse$hit, as was Reggie's "I don't know" response when questioned about why Nintendo's share price took a tumble during E3(I'm referring back to Mr E's post about Reggie this morning). Nintendo's stock price has been falling very slowly since about 23rd January as I'm sure investors are concerned about the lack of new games from Nintendo. Labo has been a bit of a failure. Anyway, if you look at the chart below you'll see Nintendo's share price at 3pm GMT on Tuesday at the close of business, 2 hours before Nintendo's E3 Direct.

At the very start of business on Wednesday the share price took a very sharp downwards turn and it's been falling since. You'll also notice that the share price had been rising slightly in the lead up to E3 as investors had been anticipating a good show from Nintendo. That was completely wiped out and a lot more besides after a poor and disappointing E3. You can check it out in more detail below:

http://www.google.com/search?q=TYO:7974

I don't really understand what this means regarding the shares?

Don't these share prices tend to go up and down? Does it affect Nintendo's profits or is it like an indicator of low profits to come?

It seems to me that it's more like the actual value of the company that is fluctuating and so a future announcement of Massive Game X could potentially bump that back up?

How does this kind of thing impact us as gamers? If the share price drops too low are we likely to see projects being cancelled or support for the Switch being dropped completely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

If you believe "It's a brand new game built from the ground up" then you’re living in a world of make believe, with flowers and bells and leprechauns and magic frogs with funny little hats. It's not entirely a port but it's certainly not entirely a new game either. The way they went on about even the minunest detail, it's like they were trying to convince everyone "see, see, it's not a port".

It seems like a very different game though?

Looks like they have a few different mechanics and the game itself appears to be quite a bit faster that Smash on the Wii U?

When it comes to fighting games especially how do we make a distinction between something completely new and something that is allegedly a "port"?

Is StreetFighter V just a prot of Streetfighter IV and are those both ports of StreetFighter II?

For me it's like people have this weird "the Switch only has ports" horse they are going to flog as long as they possibly can bit not being satisfied with giving out about ports like Bayonetta and DK:TF every new sequel that looks somewhat similar to the previous iteration is a port too.

We already went through this with Splatoon 2. Now it's Smash.

What would be needed to distinguish Mario Kart 9 as not a port of Mario Kart 8? For sure at least half of the courses would be ports of previous MK tracks. For sure the characters would be the same and Bowser would be heavy and Toad would be light and Mario would be the all rounder. Boost pads on the tracks and power slides would be in there. The standard items would return.

What's the difference between a genuine sequel and a lazy port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shares, especially in Japan, can fluctuate up and down on the whim of something happening or not happening. Serkan Toto is a great guy on Twitter for breaking it all down. Mobile game announcements (or non-announcements) are something that apparently have a strong and the biggest mpact on fluctuations, either up or down. The Direct probably had some impact, but on any given weekly basis there's quite a number of other factors. Stuff like Labo hasn't really got out the gate yet but it's something that will have very different sales trajectories and spikes than other 'games', it should be a big seller for the holiday season.

Smash isn't a port, it's Splatoon 2 again. Maybe if Smash had blocky N64 graphics then it would look 'different' and could be seen as a 'new' game It's not a complete reimagining (like 99% of fighting games) but to call it a port is as lazy as some falsely call developers. Every Smash games has used assets from the previous game in the past, so many characters would not be possible otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I don't really understand what this means regarding the shares?

Don't these share prices tend to go up and down? Does it affect Nintendo's profits or is it like an indicator of low profits to come?

It seems to me that it's more like the actual value of the company that is fluctuating and so a future announcement of Massive Game X could potentially bump that back up?

How does this kind of thing impact us as gamers? If the share price drops too low are we likely to see projects being cancelled or support for the Switch being dropped completely?

You can think of the share price as a bell weather for how well the 'market' thinks the company is likely to do in the future based on available information.

A plunge like the one shown above suggests the market expected Nintendo to reveal a better line up of games at E3. Based on that expectation they expected the company to sell X consoles and Y games, but after the E3 update they have probably reduced their expectations for sales substantially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Their big problem there was no big seller announced in the E3 presentation. Profits will not be as large as was probably predicted, so share price will naturally fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

Someone will tell us on December 8th if it's got a new code base or not, until then Nintendo will ignore it. When they don't come right out and say something it's usually the worse option, so probably a deluxe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Im not reading all the crap about e3 and shares, but for context ,sonys have dropped also after " fortnite" none sharing of accounts crap or supposedly ,imagine if shares only went up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

geotrig wrote: »
    Im not reading all the crap about e3 and shares, but for context ,sonys have dropped also after " fortnite" none sharing of accounts crap or supposedly ,imagine if shares only went up :rolleyes:

Also CD Project Reds shares fell 6.6% (more than Nintendos did) after the MS conference. Which is a shame as was looking forward to Cyberpunk but well...their shares dropped a few percent, they are dead now and gonna shut up shop any minute now!

Hold on....actually got a picture for such times...

TmDfeQ2.jpg

Advertisement