Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo @ E3 2018 - News/Predictions

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Finished watching the end of the opening game of the World Cup only to see Smash is on Treehouse Live, AGAIN. I'm surprised Nintendo haven't had any surprises throughout E3, they usually have at least 1. Doubt there'll be any now at this late stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Xenoblade Torna story looks really good. The new crafting/resting mechanic is interesting. Not going to watch too much more of it to avoid spoilers but it looks like a very robust addition to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

LOL. The first time I turn it one, it's a Kirby v Kirby Smash talk.

That's E3 done and dusted for another year. How to sum it up simply?
    6420ca9ebb9cec41756b4b0a43337cf8.gif

Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

sligeach wrote: »
    That's E3 done and dusted for another year. How to sum it up simply?

Disappointing.

In all fairness what would it have taken for them to move the needle from "disappointing" to "I'm going to buy a Switch now" for you?

Best case scenario they were going to have Yoshi and Fire Emblem for late 2018 (which makes no sense to me given Pokemon and Smash releasing in Nov and Dec) and possibly a couple of Wii U ports (which you hate) and a few glimpses at games coming up late 2019 or early 2020.

They already did 3 "surprise" announcements with Hollow Knight and Fortnite being released "right now" and Octo-expansion "coming tomorrow" and that's about all they can do since there's no way bigger games with a physical release can be announced for same day release.

I found it to be disappointing too but I already own a Switch and I'm likely to be glued to Hollow Knight and Octo-expansion up until Mario Tennis arrives next Friday.

How would Nintendo manage your expectations specifically so that you walked away thinking "that was great, I will buy a Switch tomorrow"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In truth, reasons to own a Switch above all others is as simple as Mario Odyssey.
    BotW can be played on a WiiU, but Mario is only on the Switch and it's sublime.
    I have always maintained that a console only really needs one essential title to make it worth buying, which explains my collection tbh, and Mario Odyssey is that game right now, if you don't have a WiiU it's also BotW.

But the world needs more.
    Splatoon 2
    Arms
    Both 2017 games.

2018?

Nothing as yet that screams "Now is the time" if Mario Odyssey didn't make you have to own one and, to be honest, it's hard to see at this remove what such a game will look like.

Perhaps the 2019 proper Pokemon RPG, perhaps Metroid Prime 4, I don't know.
    But 2018... seems like a bit of a wash out of killer titles for the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah that's exactly the feeling here as well. If 2018 was always going to be a down year between BOTW/Mario and Metroid/Pokemon they could have at least given us something like the VC to engender goodwill.

Half and hour of detailed patch notes on Smash Bros just made me feel like there's nothing for me on Switch this year - even though that's not actually true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say the bigger date in the Ninty calendar will be the start of the online service and the things coming with it.

Tell you what was odd, that they could have had a massive crafting and maker mini-convention within the E3 setting devoted to Nintendo Labo and the various imaginative uses for the application, it might have been pretty cool, even if devoted to a title already out.
    They could have given notice of future updates and releases around the format, maybe even tied in their other creative titles, like Mario Maker, should this title be on the way for the Switch, which it most certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Honestly while 2018 doesn't have a single player at the level of mario or botw i still have plenty coming that will keep it in use. I have ds, mario tennis and wolfenstein preordered. will certainly be picking up the dlc for the excellent mario and rabbids, once through xenoblade 2 I'll add thst dlc, i can see them showing mario dlc in a later summer direct and possibly out for xmas( feel botw dlc was not at e3 but was on sept direct?) .
    E3 and the previews have sold me on starlink and pokemon go both of which i was a firm no on pre e3. Db fighterz is meant to be excellent and runs well on switch. Okami hd, crash, octopath( fyi the first initial of each character spells that) tales of vesperia, monster hunter are all on my list of probable purchases too. Pretty content with that lineup and do think pokego and smash will bring in the santa sales at the very least
    Before its said too i know mostly ports but i havent played majority so am content with them

Yeah, but these are the kinds of conversations we had when the WiiU was spitting out classic titles the likes of which the opposition simply had no answer for, from Super Mario 3D World to Pikmin 3, from Super Smash Bros WiiU to Xenoblade Chronicles X, and then we had a decent selection of AAA titles from 3rd parties as well, with Assassins Creed, a delayed Watchdogs, a series of CoD titles as well as Bayonetta 2.
    Plenty to play, but the games dried up and the sales tanked and the device became a legacy also-ran.
    Now a 2018 beckons with little new to grab us, I mean maybe they are giggling in the wings, just off stage awaiting their chance to spring forth, a Deus ex Machina to change the whole narrative out of no where.
    A CoD:Blops4 announcement
    A port of Fallout 3/4/NV
    Resident Evil 4 port (why not, everything else has one!)
    A new Katamari Damacy game (a man can dream, can't he?)
    But is it likely?
    And is Smash enough for the Christmas to come??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

As long as there is no parity between Nintendo and the more powerful consoles, we can't expect it to get the same level of support. Nintendo are not behind Sony and MS when it comes to first party titles but they will always struggle with third party.

To expect more than what is being offered is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The Wii U scars are still there for the company. Developers obviously did not want to risk producing games for a new Nintendo console which directly followed the worst selling console of all time. The Switch has done well which could mean developers are probably only now looking seriously at it.

The problem is they can't get their games to run on the fecking thing!

I'm happy enough with it being an indie machine along with the first party games. I probably wouldn't buy a Switch 2 if it continued this trend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    to Nintendo Labo

Nintendo realised 2 years ago that e3 should be for gamers, not casuals. It's surprising how often people thought Nintendo were going to have mobile games and labo at their show this year. They finally realised this isn't the place for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

In fairness those AAA games that you mention of assassins creed and call of duty came out in about the first 12 months of the wiius life. Post that it dried up fast. While we dont have ac or cod on switch there is plenty of 3rd party games lined up in the next 6 months. While its a concern i dont think its near the wiiu levels of baron schedules just yet.
    As for Xmas smash and Pokemon are the big push we still dont have a date for vesperia, db fighterz and a few others slated for 2018 plus there is the potential of games announced in directs or tgs or elsewhere in the next 2 or 3 months which could be out by years end. Doom was only shown in September and was out by xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

the wiiu gamecube controller adapter didn't accept nintendo gamecube controller wavebird. since ssb ultimate is coming a new gamecube controller adapter for it coming 07/12/2018 I hope my wavebird works on the ssb ultimate. My wavebird still works on the ssb brawl and melee.

Well, the Wavebird would work with Brawl and Melee, seeing as they are running on the Wii, with a full GC controller port.
    And the internet seems to suggest that the Wavebird does, indeed, work with the WiiU GC adapter.
    Maybe look it up and see if you are going astray setting it up?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, the Wavebird would work with Brawl and Melee, seeing as they are running on the Wii, with a full GC controller port.
    And the internet seems to suggest that the Wavebird does, indeed, work with the WiiU GC adapter.
    Maybe look it up and see if you are going astray setting it up?

I read that as "ashtray". Look at what some heathen turned the Gamecube into. And it wasn't the only image I came across either.
    11208048_1684116001816715_1066182371_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MzM1NTMwOTQzMzg3NTU3MzA1.2

sligeach wrote: »
    I read that as "ashtray". Look at what some heathen turned the Gamecube into. And it wasn't the only image I came across either.
    11208048_1684116001816715_1066182371_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MzM1NTMwOTQzMzg3NTU3MzA1.2

That's a reason to kill a man right there

120 € for pokemon game thanks alot nintendo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Smertrius wrote: »
    120 € for pokemon game thanks alot nintendo

You get the pokeball controller with that as well though.

I'd guess the normal game will be about €55-€60.

I think I'll go with the Eevee edition, haven't played a Pokémon game since yellow!!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You get the pokeball controller with that as well though.

I'd guess the normal game will be about €55-€60.

I think I'll go with the Eevee edition, haven't played a Pokémon game since yellow!!

you have buy pokeball controller for 60€ to catch mew, without it you only able catch 150 pokemon understand, mew only exist from pokeball controller. you can't catch mew in Pokémon lets go without pokeball controller and Pokémon lets go will cost 60€ too

€60 + €60 = 120€ for Pokémon lets go. that why i said €120 for pokemon game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Smertrius wrote: »
    you have buy pokeball controller for 60€ to catch mew, without it you only able catch 150 pokemon understand, mew only exist from pokeball controller. you can't catch mew in Pokémon lets go without pokeball controller and Pokémon lets go will cost 60€ too

€60 + €60 = 120€ for Pokémon lets go. that why i said €120 for pokemon game

But if I buy the Pokeball edition I might be able to trade Mew to people without the controller. That way people who don't want/can't afford the controller can get the Pokémon as well.

pokemon yellow 3ds does have mew would you able to trade pokemon from pokemon yellow to lets go pikachuand eevee and 3ds can connect the switch through wifi

Advertisement