Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to use app on public wifi?

Options
  • 27-04-2018 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's safe for me to use the official bank of ireland android app on public wifi?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Caliden wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if it's safe for me to use the official bank of ireland android app on public wifi?
    Hi Caliden,

Thanks for posting here on Boards.

As we advise on our hits and tips for connecting safely online, we wouldn't recommend using public Wifi to log into your bank account. Please see here for a brochure that you can download which goes into more detail, with information to allow you to connect online and be digitally safe.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
    Jane.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Does your app not use TLS/SSL to connect? Surely if your app is using an adequate strength cipher there should be no issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Red Alert,

The mobile app is secure however, we do advise avoiding logging on to any online banking using public WiFi. You can never be too sure who else is connected.

You can find more information on online security at the link Jane provided.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement