Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Finglas

• 27-04-2018 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

Good news for Finglas. FingLUAS work will start as early as next year.

I’ve been pushing constantly to get this project sped up and I’m glad that to report an early win for Finglas: design works, route selection and the various planning applications is due to commence next year, 2019, as the design for MetroLink is concluded.

I have been working on this for months and, as the only local representative who sought any meetings with the relevant transport bodies specifically o...
    See more

From Noel Rock TD via Facebook

So get the crayons out lads. What are the key locations to hit. There is no Northern link up with ML which i think is rather short sighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

A no brainer project that is sensible to deliver as soon as possible. It would cost around 270 to 300 million Euro to deliver on last estimates. A lot of money but a reasonable expenditure for the state. The evening hereld article by wayne o connor is now online.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Will be glad to see this progressing next year, very beneficial to that area of the city and makes LCC much more attractive to a lot of people. Should be possible to have >90% of the route completely segregated either at grade or elevated. I'd like to see it go through Tolka Valley Park, down Finglas Road to Charlestown and then a P&R on the far side of the M50. Rezoning Dublin Industrial Estate at Broombridge for high density mixed use like Sandyford and collecting a levy on developments should be a decent source of funding for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    The evening hereld article by wayne o connor is now online.

Can't seem to find it. Can you post the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Can't seem to find it. Can you post the link?

Tried to post link, boards wont let me post links yet, not enough posts.

That is the article link, great. Noel Rock TD (Dublin North West Constituency) has hung his entire political capital on getting luas to finglas. Like a man possessed trying move it forward.

• Advertisement

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    That is the article link, great. Noel Rock TD (Dublin North West Constituency) has hung his entire political capital on getting luas to finglas. Like a man possessed trying move it forward.

Flying dangerously close to politics here but with him losing most of his base in the south of the constituency he's needs to have big wins to win more of the the middle ground and thus the last seat

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

What is the clearance between trams on the new line from north of the point it goes into the cutting at Broadstone? Is it the same as the red line or the green line south of Charlemont?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

It would make sense to CPO a chunk of the industrial units north of the canal and drive the line through that way. 

It is a terrible use of land and long-term would be much better suited to a mix of high-rise residential and offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭roadmaster

A Park and Ride located around Coldwinters would be very succesful i believe. N2 Commuters could easliy get off the M2 and go up the old N2 park up and hop on the luas

THE NTA SAYS that it will examine a proposal to extend the Luas to Finglas “in due course”, but sources say a TD’s call to get planning for the extension is “a decade premature”.

http://www.thejournal.ie/finglas-luas-premature-3968622-Apr2018/

A bit of ambition would be nice. Why do we need to wait till ML is finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭specialbyte

http://www.thejournal.ie/finglas-luas-premature-3968622-Apr2018/

A bit of ambition would be nice. Why do we need to wait till ML is finished?

I'm somehow not surprised that Noel Rock has been running his mouth and over promising tbh. Hype is what he is good at and there is an election looming. Anyway enough politics.

I'd love to see the Finglas extension. It will make the (potential) Broombridge to Charlemont stub of the green line a real line rather than just a weird stub line. The opportunity for a park and ride outside the M50 by the N2 and the opportunity provide high quality transport infrastructure to Finglas, a historical under privileged area all sound like great things in my book.

Though it sounds like Noel Rock doesn't know what he's talking about from the Journal article he is talking some sense. I'd love to see the NTA/TII pick and protect a route much sooner rather than later. Even if the project has to sit on a shelf for 3-5 years after route selection as we wait for capital funding to build the extension. We've all seen too many good potential routes destroyed because we didn't protect them early enough.

Edit: the other option is to provide the NTA/TII with more funding so they can hire more engineers to organise and manage multiple projects at once. Last I heard almost every single TII engineer who works on light-rail projects is working on the MetroLink project right now. It's a huge project and there aren't that many of them tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

NDP 2018-2027 provides funding to get Luas Finglas, Poolbeg, Bray and Lucan through planning and fully designed.

This is Noel Rock getting ahead of himself the same way Brendan Griffin got ahead of himself announcing road works on the Macroom bypass in 2015 when it wasn't to start until 2020.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I'd love to see the Finglas extension. It will make the (potential) Broombridge to Charlemont stub of the green line a real line rather than just a weird stub line. The opportunity for a park and ride outside the M50 by the N2 and the opportunity provide high quality transport infrastructure to Finglas, a historical under privileged area all sound like great things in my book.

Of course, the Broombridge/ Charlemont Green Line does not need to stop at Charlemont - it could go East along Adelaide Road as far as Leeson St, or even continue to Grand Canal Dock and connect with the Dart. A lot of people work at GCD.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

2029 is the latest estimate from the NTA

https://www.herald.ie/news/no-guarantee-of-finglas-luas-by-2029-says-nta-36864953.html

Maybe Noel Rock mixed up his 2019 and 2029.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

marno21 wrote:
    2029 is the latest estimate from the NTA

At best..you won't see it for another 30 years Id say

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    At best..you won't see it for another 30 years Id say
    We might as long as they stay away from the GAA clubs in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Probably an easy piece for any politicians to say they’ve delivered on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

marno21 wrote: »
    We might as long as they stay away from the GAA clubs in the area.

I actually suspect this could end up being fast-tracked if Metrolink gets bogged down and runs into difficulties with politicians and local residents.

The Government will need a transport infrastructure project that they can say they are actively delivering on. Similar to Luass BXD when Dart Underground and Metro North were canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Finding a suitable route will be a challenge given the reasonable regularity of buses being pulled from Finglas South due to anti-social behaviour.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Finding a suitable route will be a challenge given the reasonable regularity of buses being pulled from Finglas South due to anti-social behaviour.

They said the same about Broombridge and Dublin Bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They said the same about Broombridge and Dublin Bikes

Broombridge hasn’t had anti-social problems on the buses and the derelict site beside the railways has been built on.

I don’t see the similarities.

I actually suspect this could end up being fast-tracked if Metrolink gets bogged down and runs into difficulties with politicians and local residents.

The Government will need a transport infrastructure project that they can say they are actively delivering on. Similar to Luass BXD when Dart Underground and Metro North were canned.

I agree with this. The finglas extension should be an elevated and segregated line as much as possible towards Finglas/ Charlestown and terminate just after the m50 with a park and ride.

Noel Rock when banging his Finglas luas drum wants the extension to go to Daristown Metro Station. But daristown should be reserved as a terminus for the potential Metro West if ever built.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It would be crazy for it to terminate with a P&R outside the M50 when it is just a few kilometers short of the airport terminals. I think any Finglas Luas needs to terminate in the airport as a supplement to a future Metrolink, not as replacement. As it stands the large parts of Dublin 11 and Dublin 15 cannot get to the airport on PT without going to the city centre first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It would be crazy for it to terminate with a P&R outside the M50 when it is just a few kilometers short of the airport terminals. I think any Finglas Luas needs to terminate in the airport as a supplement to a future Metrolink, not as replacement. As it stands the large parts of Dublin 11 and Dublin 15 cannot get to the airport on PT without going to the city centre first.

I don't really think a Tram is an appropriate mode for getting to the airport being honest.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't really think a Tram is an appropriate mode for getting to the airport being honest.

Edinburgh seems to manage it fine. Obviously you would need specific carriages for luggage but that is hardly insurmountable.

I just think when it is built and it terminates at a P&R site within direct view of airplanes landing people will say oh, isnt it a bit short sighted for it not to connect to the airport. Again Im saying it should supplement Metrolink not replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Edinburgh seems to manage it fine. Obviously you would need specific carriages for luggage but that is hardly insurmountable.

I just think when it is built and it terminates at a P&R site within direct view of airplanes landing people will say oh, isnt it a bit short sighted for it not to connect to the airport. Again Im saying it should supplement Metrolink not replace it.

The Edinburgh Tramline has been a bit of a disaster tbh!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Edinburgh Tramline has been a bit of a disaster tbh!

:confused: I used it two summers ago and it was perfectly fine for getting from the airport to Princes Street in 30 minutes. It connects Murrayfield too which is good for match days. I know it was a disaster in budget overruns but Im not sure how that is relevant now it is working and connecting the airport to the city centre :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

:confused: I used it two summers ago and it was perfectly fine for getting from the airport to Princes Street in 30 minutes. It connects Murrayfield too which is good for match days. I know it was a disaster in budget overruns but Im not sure how that is relevant now it is working and connecting the airport to the city centre :confused:

Because there will be no more tram lines in Edinburgh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This seems to be progressing, with design works started. Emerging preferred route to be published next year, along with a public consultation. Great to see, even if it's probably just a sop so that Noel Rock can shout it out at the coming election.

https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1193124926556975105

This probably marks the end of the Bray extension as well, the lack of a Metro upgrade really put paid to that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Also, Fingluas. Jesus Christ. I can't shake my head enough at that portmanteau.

Advertisement