Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 pt2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

New thread, new manager (rumours for now), new players presumably.

Just to need to get this season over with first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Third post, hopefully a third European trophy in the coffers at the seasons end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wenger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

2-0 in second leg Welbeck brace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wenger is out....... boom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Maybe put a post in the old thread to let everyone know too? I don't usually drop into the soccer forum anymore, just my favourite into the thread, so I might have missed it if I wasn't paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I watched a good chunk of the game last night and that result was perfect for the circumstances for Ateltico, as soon as they went down to 10 you knew the game was going to be dragged down to a level very few managers are prepared and willing to go to.

Ateltico are a very dogged side with 11 men, take away one and their resolve only increase, it still doesn't take away from the fact that Oblak made about a dozen good to excellent saves but Arsenal should have went to Madrid with at least a 2 goal lead.

Ateltico aren't a very prolific side, Simeone makes Conte and Jose look like gung ho, all out attack merchants and is one manager I'd avoid if I wanted my team to play football on the other hand, hes the one manager you'd want to get all the players onside and fighting for the shirt.

I dont think any other side or manager could have got that result with 10 men away in a European semi final, well, Di Matteo did from a worse position but thats a different story for a different time. :o

I wouldn't write Arsenal off just yet either, I know its all doom and gloom, trust me, we've been there in the Chelsea thread this year, but for now, if the players can man up and realise this is a huge chance for silverware and burst their bo**ocks for 90mins in Madrid, they could very easily make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

People acting like we were thumped, its 1-1 for gods sake. Yes a great opportunity missed but its still game on.

We played well enough except for maybe a lack of urgency until late on. Credit to Atletico though, great defensive performance.

I don't understand how people can blame Wenger for sloppy goal conceded, Kos made a mistake, Ospina saved well, lucky rebound, Mustafi could have stopped it but slipped, Wenger at fault is just the default for some people I guess. Thats like blaming Simeone for the right back getting sent off.

Should have won by a goal or two but tie still very much in the balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CatInABox wrote: »
    Maybe put a post in the old thread to let everyone know too? I don't usually drop into the soccer forum anymore, just my favourite into the thread, so I might have missed it if I wasn't paying attention.

Done.

Half watched it in the pub yesterday, Arsenal looked dominant but not really creating a whole lot of great chances. I said the second Vrsjalko got sent off that we wouldn't win, such a predictable club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Athletico are the worst team in the world arsenal could face.

Rugged in defence and hit them on the counter, which has seen arsenal been done plenty of times.

Worst nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

al87987 wrote: »
    People acting like we were thumped, its 1-1 for gods sake. Yes a great opportunity missed but its still game on.

We played well enough except for maybe a lack of urgency until late on. Credit to Atletico though, great defensive performance.

I don't understand how people can blame Wenger for sloppy goal conceded, Kos made a mistake, Ospina saved well, lucky rebound, Mustafi could have stopped it but slipped, Wenger at fault is just the default for some people I guess. Thats like blaming Simeone for the right back getting sent off.

Great post. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

People are just fed up because you knew it was coming. I've no problem with not scoring more than one, they were slightly unlucky there. But conceding a late goal out of nothing, with that comical defending, it's just not good enough. That's the standard of defending the club has been dealing with for ten years, and it is highly unlikely they will get past Atletico in the second leg defending like that.

You never know, with a little luck Arsenal could well go through. You would need the stars to align and the back four to all have good mistake free games which doesn't happen particularly often. There was enough in the attacking perfomance last night to suggest getting two goals isn't completely beyond them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

al87987 wrote: »

Disagree. We played at home against 10 men for practically the entire match! They were playing to hold out for 1-0.

Our entire back line was literally all over the place for their goal. Monreal at fault too. Is that not coaching?

You also have to remember our away record is shocking whilst their home record is great, in that they don’t concede much at all (4 this season?).

It ain’t over just yet but make no mistake, conceding that goal was a hammer blow.

Fans were brilliant last night too it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Sick as a pig still. You don't get second chances against teams like that, I think we're looking for a miracle now to be honest.

I know it's a bit of a quiet day here so I'll throw this out there.

Why did Wenger sell Overmars and Petit in 2000? My two favourite Arsenal players at the time..I still don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

Why did Wenger sell Overmars and Petit in 2000? My two favourite Arsenal players at the time..I still don't get it.

Because they wanted to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Somebody said earlier that Arsenal were gutless last night, I couldn’t disagree more. Thought their application was brilliant last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Didnt we get 30m for the two?

Didnt we get 30m for the two?

Yep off Barca. I still don't get it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Sick as a pig still. You don't get second chances against teams like that, I think we're looking for a miracle now to be honest.

Agreed, bar the Milan game we have been very poor on the road. We have to score in Madrid and they simply dont cough up chances or goals too often at home. They are far too organised to be conceding chances and even if they do, Laccazette is the only one we have to punish them, heaven forbid a guilt-edged chance falls to Welbeck cause he will just trip over himself.
    I hope im wrong but I think were in for a tough tie of it.
    On a side note its a shame we let go of Giroud, that game was made for him last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Overmars was replaced with Pires wasn't he? I don't think that's a bad exchange

I think Edu was Petit's replacement. He didn't exactly hit the ground running but managed a couple of league titles with us

I'd have Edu straight into the starting XI now if he hadn't aged since 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ah good ould Edu. The time Wenger bought the wrong player with the right name. It was a different Edu he was interested in wasn't it?

I'd have Edu straight into the starting XI now if he hadn't aged since 2004.

Edu + 10 others. That's the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Edu + 10 others. That's the team.
    Could be said that the 01/02 team was even better than 04.

Yep off Barca. I still don't get it though!

I think I remember Wenger justifying it by referencing Overmars' injury record/age and I think Petit just wanted to go as it was Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sorry guys about having no podcast this week throats in bits can't speak :(

FA youth cup final vs Chelsea appears to be on ITV4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How many posters watched last night's game and said to themselves " we're all over these guys but we'll probably concede a stupid goal".? I watched in in the local hotel with my son and he kept saying that. How right he was.

That's the kind of thing we nearly always expect from a non-coached and easily bullied defence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

How many posters watched last night's game and said to themselves " we're all over these guys but we'll probably concede a stupid goal".? I watched in in the local hotel with my son and he kept saying that. How right he was.

That's the kind of thing we nearly always expect from a non-coached and easily bullied defence.

Went the local with the aul fella to watch the match and we both turned to each other and said more or less the same thing at the exact same time.

I would have been more surprised if we didnt balls it all up to be honest.

I agree 100%. We totally did an Arsenal. But I do think the players for the first time in a very, very long time, applied themselves to a game to the best of their ability. The fans were too at their best. This needs to be recognised. Last night was unfortunate and I was gutted by it. But only because I saw the players do something they haven't done in a very long time. They looked like they tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I kept saying to my other half even in the first half when we were dominating, " I've a bad feeling we're gonna be hit with a sucker punch".
    But I don't think the tie us over, we scored first and I think we'll go through to the final

What teams in the pl don’t do an arsenal nowadays?

Man city last week, Liverpool at the weekend.

It’s all hyperbole if you ask me.

Spurs the week before

Difference is,youre more or less guaranteed Arsenal will fcuk up at the back.

Others just do an Arsenal every once in a while,its a constant fcuking threat with us.

• Advertisement

Difference is,youre more or less guaranteed Arsenal will fcuk up at the back.

Others just do an Arsenal every once in a while,its a constant fcuking threat with us.

But isn’t teams conceding goals a **** up at the back?

Don’t get me wrong but every team seems to have these blunders in them.

Arsenal had the most clean sheets only 2 seasons ago, it’s hardly constant??

But isn’t teams conceding goals a **** up at the back?

Don’t get me wrong but every team seems to have these blunders in them.

Arsenal had the most clean sheets only 2 seasons ago, it’s hardly constant??

I watch every minute of every Arsenal game and no amount of stats will convince me that our defence isnt an absolute shambles.
    It wasnt surprising to see us concede a goal like we did that night,it was expected.

All teams have these blunders,but ours are commonplace.

I watch every minute of every Arsenal game and no amount of stats will convince me that our defence isnt an absolute shambles.
    It wasnt surprising to see us concede a goal like we did that night,it was expected.

All teams have these blunders,but ours are commonplace.

Have you any sort of a stat to back this up?

Not been smart but I think the blunders are slightly overplayed.

I dont.

I will agree to disagree,I feel the blunders are common and you dont.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

https://twitter.com/OptaJose/status/968063314130624512

Published 7th march
    http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/the-damning-stats-that-expose-arsenals-worst-ever-season/al3252ts796f1oi9ro4d6kgi8
    Arsenal's players may deserve just as much flak as their under-fire manager, as they have made their fair share of errors this season.

Indeed, the Gunners have made more errors leading to shots than any other team, with a staggering number of 27 - five more than Southampton and eight more than Huddersfield Town. Burnley rank lowest in the list, with just five errors.

It is perhaps unsurprising, therefore, that the Gunners have also made more errors leading to goals than any other club in the Premier League, with 13, four more than Southampton.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »

Fair fcuks to ya lad,didnt think there be stats to prove what i was seeing with my eyes but I guess ye learn something new everyday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Well can’t argue with that!

I was actually looking it up there too because I know that Cech leads the PL in this. Arsenal are the 1st team to repeat in this list too

2q8nk0x.png

L'prof wrote: »
    I was actually looking it up there too because I know that Cech leads the PL in this. Arsenal are the 1st team to repeat in this list too

2q8nk0x.png

Depressing.

The thing is, both Kos and Mustafi have brilliant technical qualities but Mustafi makes horrendous decisions and Kos is too injury prone and slowing down. With some proper coaching, they “could” be super.

emmetlego wrote: »
    The thing is, both Kos and Mustafi have brilliant technical qualities but Mustafi makes horrendous decisions and Kos is too injury prone and slowing down. With some proper coaching, they “could” be super.

Surely it's too late for Kos.

The fact it's called an "Arsenal" should tell you something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Kos is far too timid. I couldn't see Adams, Campbell or Bould being bullied like he was on many occasions. All he had to do the other night was put the ball in row Z but Griezman got real tight to him and he kicked it off Griezman's chest. You have to be stronger than that.

What we need now is to keep it tight next week and try to bully them and maybe sneak a goal but not too early as we would probably concede again with nerves.

Beating Burnley at home now should be enough to finish 6th, and avoid starting a Europa League campaign in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Kos, mustafi, Ramsey, wilshere & lacazette all didn't travel to Manchester.

That away record doesn't look like improving anytime soom :pac:

Was watching googlebox earlier, showing the news about Wenger leaving & ITV news had troopz on :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement