Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 pt2

1176177178179180182»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Two hours later, the win secured, and I'm still thinking about how shít that ref was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Well feck it niles is injured, poor fella

Mustafi is so bad he actually manages to get our players injured. Shocking pass to AMN. If he's still here next season I'll go mad.

Anyway, delighted to be up to 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Mustafi is so bad he actually manages to get our players injured. Shocking pass to AMN. If he's still here next season I'll go mad.

Anyway, delighted to be up to 3rd.

Don’t forget THAT cross!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Don’t forget THAT cross!

At least he has a sense of humour about it!

https://twitter.com/MustafiOfficial/status/1113013143876390912

#prayformycrosstoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Delighted to be 3rd with 7 matches to go but with 5 of those away from home our form away from the Emirates is a cause for concern.

I'm thinking 18 points might just be enough to secure top 4. 9 points at home and 3 away wins may just do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I'm worried about Sokratis picking up a yellow. Good thing he didn;t get one against Newcastle but hopefully he will avoid one against Everton otherwise he'll miss the Watford and Palace games

There have been some changes to the rules around the accumulation of yellow cards this season, making them more competition-specific. In the Premier League, it works as follows:

5 yellow cards before the cut-off date after 19 league fixtures = 1 match ban
    10 yellow cards before the cut-off date after 32 league fixtures = 2 match ban
    15 yellow cards before the end of the season = 3 match ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Basil3 wrote: »
    At least he has a sense of humour about it!

https://twitter.com/MustafiOfficial/status/1113013143876390912

#prayformycrosstoo

Ha, fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

greendom wrote: »
    Delighted to be 3rd with 7 matches to go but with 5 of those away from home our form away from the Emirates is a cause for concern.

I'm thinking 18 points might just be enough to secure top 4. 9 points at home and 3 away wins may just do it.

If we manage 9 points from our two homes games it'll be a miracle deserving of a champions league place

greendom wrote: »

max at home is 6 points unless you're counting Newcastle win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

We will need 12 more points minimum, 15 would guarantee it. We would then finish on 78 - unbelievably the same total the double winners of 97/98 managed.

In every season bar one 73 was enough to guarantee top 4 - that was 16/17 and our 75 points that season is the only time a team finished with 73 or more and failed to qualify for CL.

That record is under threat this season but it's hard to imagine 76 wouldn't be enough and I would rule out now 78 not being enough.

So two home wins, two away wins and a draw should be our bare minimum, anything extra is gravy.

2017/18 v 2018/19 season

udyhcotp2up21.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

The vast majority of the away games this season were played without Koscielny and without Ramsey beside Xhaka.

I'm hanging my hat on the fact those 2 will improve us enough with a) the experience and b) being our best defender and midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Away form

02 points from 15 available against the other 5 teams in the top 6
    17 points form 27 available against the rest

15 points available from remaining away games
    On current form we 'should' get 10 points from away games?

plus 6 from 2 home games = 16 points

=79 final points.

*calculations may be just 'pie in the sky' stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

newbie2 wrote: »
    Away form

02 points from 15 available against the other 5 teams in the top 6
    17 points form 27 available against the rest

15 points available from remaining away games
    On current form we 'should' get 10 points from away games?

plus 6 from 2 home games = 16 points

=79 final points.

*calculations may be just 'pie in the sky' stuff

This implies all games outside the top 6 are equal which is optimistic. Everton, Watford, Wolves and Leicester are a level above the rest of the away games outside the top 6.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Who do we think will replace Ramsey folks?

I quite like the look of Ryan Fraser, and he might not be as expensive as other options as his contract is up in 2020.

Quite dynamic, and I think he could probably play more centrally if needed, but would at the minimum be an upgrade on Iwobi.

• Advertisement

I'd be keener on David Brooks to be honest.

Necro wrote: »
    And for the record 75 points for Liverpool got top 4 last season.

I'm doubtful whether that will be enough this year, I'm thinking 78 might be necessary on current trajectories.

Based off our remaining fixtures that is doable. (Although I think we can get 82 tbh)
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    We will need 12 more points minimum, 15 would guarantee it. We would then finish on 78 - unbelievably the same total the double winners of 97/98 managed.

In every season bar one 73 was enough to guarantee top 4 - that was 16/17 and our 75 points that season is the only time a team finished with 73 or more and failed to qualify for CL.

That record is under threat this season but it's hard to imagine 76 wouldn't be enough and I would rule out now 78 not being enough.

So two home wins, two away wins and a draw should be our bare minimum, anything extra is gravy.

:D Exactly what I said weeks ago, I totally agree we need minimally 12 points more.

correction wrote: »
    This implies all games outside the top 6 are equal which is optimistic. Everton, Watford, Wolves and Leicester are a level above the rest of the away games outside the top 6.

We'll learn a lot from how Wolves approach tonight. I have a feeling they have been phoning it in a little lately cos they don't have the squad for the Europa League. Think they've only played 18 players all season or something.

Everton are more likely to be under pressure to get a European spot. Leicester under Brodge look good, would take a draw in one or both of those games now if offered.

Watford also have a tendency to go on holidays early, and provided Burnley are safe they should not offer huge resistance by the time we play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

It would be nice if Wolves can get something tonight against Utd.

DenMan wrote: »
    It would be nice if Wolves can get something tonight against Utd.

Of our remaining fixtures, Everton on Sunday and Wolves later on are the ones I'm most worried about.

Both are in relatively decent form and have dangerous front players.

Leicester away - meh. We don't usually have an issue there and Rodgers likes the attacking style which will suit us.

Watford is usually a battle but their minds will either be on the sunbeds or an FA Cup Final by the time we play them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement