Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late decision to do German for leaving cert

Options
  • 27-04-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

My nephew has just decided he wants to do German in his Leaving very. Can he do this as he has missed the orals or does it just mean he can't get any of the 20% of the marks for the oral?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He misses all the oral marks and his results will have an asterisk beside them as an element (the oral) will be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Aside from the headache of getting registered for German and not having done the oral, does he actually speak German?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Aside from the headache of getting registered for German and not having done the oral, does he actually speak German?
    He speaks some German, how hard is it to get registered for the exam now and does the asterisk have any negative effect on his cert? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

LID wrote: »
    He speaks some German, how hard is it to get registered for the exam now and does the asterisk have any negative effect on his cert? Thanks

I don't honestly know how hard it is to get registered, I've never come across a student who has registered this late, he'd have to ask the exam secretary in his school on Monday.

But realistically, it's probably not worth his while unless his German is at a good LC standard as he is going to be marked out of the same total mark even though he hasn't done the oral.

The asterisk is just to show that a student didn't complete a component of an exam. The oral is worth 20% of the grade for ordinary level and 25% at higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Also, I'm not certain about this, but I don't think the asterisk appears on your cert - it only appears on your statement of provisional results (the document you get in August). Its purpose is to alert you and the school to the fact that a component was missing. If it turns out that you did do all the components, then the school can follow up with the SEC to get to the bottom of what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement