Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no iphone FM reciever

Options
  • 27-04-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

This is the single most frustrating thing about iphones.

15 years ago even the simplest of mobile phones had great FM radio reception, now we've moved on light years in terms of technology but the quality of App based FM radio reception is appalling. It's like we've moved backwards since 2009.

Radio App reception is constantly interrupted due to wi-fi or 3G/4G availability (even in the city center). On one hand I guess its not apple's problem but on the other hand their customers are having a pretty crappy experience with their product in this specific area.

I'm amazed apple don't (or wont) include a basic FM receiver in their phone to allow users to by-pass coverage black spots and enjoy unbroken live radio on their iphone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Get an android

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You'r either paying for an app or getting a free one with ads. Also if your using more data listening to the radio you have more chance of going over your allowance or signing up to a more expensive package with higher limits.
    Why give it away for free when there is money to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Fm radio is the hardware version of flash. It’s dead technology. I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

FM technology is 40 years old, why would they add it to a modern phone. if you want to listen to the radio, then get a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Apple like to get rid of unecesssary crap such as headphone jacks and fm receivers. FM is dead and on the way out. Quicker with the new crazy of minor celebrities hosting shows or teams of people. The role of DJ is gone. Apple saw this happening and didn’t bother including fm receivers. FM has been replaced by podcasts and music streaming. It’s possible to store both podcasts and music on the phone for areas of bad data reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dan1895 wrote: »
    You'r either paying for an app or getting a free one with ads. Also if your using more data listening to the radio you have more chance of going over your allowance or signing up to a more expensive package with higher limits.
    Why give it away for free when there is money to be made?

Really don't think this is the reason at all.

Apple don't do things like that to benefit phone network incomes like you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

a dead technology?

not half as dead as the reception via the radio apps

at least it works

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fm radio is the hardware version of flash. It’s dead technology. I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s true.

It's not true. If you're at a rugby match and want to listen to the RTE commentary or eavesdrop on the referee talking to the TMO, an FM radio is what you need. In a crowded stadium you have no hope of getting a decent data link to listen to internet radio so FM is the way to go.

Apple have a history of playing games with technology to suit themselves and restricting what you can do with their gadgets. The original iPhone didn't even support a basic Bluetooth headset. And you still can't insert a microSD card into an iPhone or an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not true. If you're at a rugby match and want to listen to the RTE commentary or eavesdrop on the referee talking to the TMO, an FM radio is what you need. In a crowded stadium you have no hope of getting a decent data link to listen to internet radio so FM is the way to go.

Apple have a history of playing games with technology to suit themselves and restricting what you can do with their gadgets. The original iPhone didn't even support a basic Bluetooth headset. And you still can't insert a microSD card into an iPhone or an iPad.

How often are the 1billion iOS users are at a rugby match? Just because you need an FM radio doesn’t mean everyone else does. Everyone I see at a GAA or rugby match have a pocket fm radio anyways and I can count the amount of people on one hand.
    a dead technology?

not half as dead as the reception via the radio apps

at least it works

Flash works. It’s still a dead technology. The original NES I have in my house still works still dead technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Apple like to get rid of unecesssary crap such as headphone jacks and fm receivers. FM is dead and on the way out. Quicker with the new crazy of minor celebrities hosting shows or teams of people. The role of DJ is gone. Apple saw this happening and didn’t bother including fm receivers. FM has been replaced by podcasts and music streaming. It’s possible to store both podcasts and music on the phone for areas of bad data reception.

Not when the iPhone or iPod first came out. It was purely for business so more music was bought. Your off your head if you think FM is on its way out. None or your points are even valid. Streaming replaced albums and cds. FM Is a different medium. And as for DJs. You must be talking about Aviici?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I've got an Griffin FM Radio plugin yoke for my iPad/iPhones, decent enough with line control.

DAB on phones is a non-runner on mobiles/tablets due simply to the power consumption required.

My spare (10note) Nokia has FMRadio, 14day+ battery and LED Flashlight hardware, daaaaecent.

Advertisement