Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Karl is such a scene stealer this year, exceptional in the 3rd episode and brilliant talking to Kendall here. Should have a few more big scenes coming up with the state of the financials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm very late to this, only three episodes in, and honestly it's only the WTF moments that are keeping me watching. I really didn't need to see Roman wiping down his office window after ... ew.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably best off staying clear of the thread for spoilers. But I will say the show can be a bit WTF at the start, but it is a very character-driven show which gets a bit less WTF (still WTF in places, but less), but has great comedic moments, dramatic stories and terrific characters as it goes on. Enjoy!

Yeah, I went looking for a few memes of Peep Show this morning to give examples of why, and ended up thinking "Actually, I can see Roman saying that...", "That's just like Tom & Greg...." etc

Obviously very different shows, but there's definitely signs of the same guy behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Solid episode again last night. Ken is being set up for a massive fall. His confidence is obviously at a low ebb and he is barely hanging on to his marbles. Roman too one feels could end with a tragic event. Shiv is the only one of the Roy offspring that is being calculated and cool in her actions. Herself and Tom to end up on top perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I didn’t love last nights episode but you couldn’t continue the level of outstanding quality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think Shiv is any more on the level than the other 2. Sure she can see through their bullshit, but as Tom pointed out she's still trying to play both sides...and she's liable to have a meltdown at any point. She might get a more "successful" ending than Ken and Roman, but she'll always be on the outside looking in.

They're all losers because of the path they are choosing and I expect the show to convey as much by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i dont think any of the three kids will succeed in the end. i think they are all been set up for a big fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

This week was a bit of a drop I thought, still decent though.

I only realised yesterday that Karl is Sledge Hammer, I used to love that as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That episode was a whole pile of nothing, just as well its finishing up it seems to have run out of steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Thought this week's one was hilarious, you can really hear the peep show humour coming out in it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

He reminds me of Dick Moran in Glenroe in appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I dunno, I thought it was another high quality episode this week. Full of great moments: Karl letting the mask slip, Roman going on a firing binge, the tension of Kendall going through the presentation and some of Greg's antics had me laughing pretty hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

good episode this week. The tom and Shiv scenes are back to being brilliantly painful. Though the line " i have to ask my woman about Oman" was gold. Connor the only likeable sibling I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

This season seems to be struggling through, some stellar lines as usual in this episode such as the argument on the balcony and Conor's postings to Somalia etc.

Unfortunately the stellar moments are in between long drawn out scenes where much of the same as before happens.

And no Karl, disappointing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Should have taken Slovenia... nice spot on the Adriatic!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Did anyone else think initially that India was a ruse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

That balcony confrontation between Shiv & Tom was terrifying. It was vicious.

Their relationship is so volatile it's uncomfortable to watch them.

Everything about them screams red-flags, but neither of them has the emotional intelligence to respond accordingly, and it's just been building and building.

It goes all the way back to Season One. Free reign on Tom's stag, agreeing to an open relationship on your wedding day (where your ex is present). Shiv's nonchalance over Tom's impending trip to prison, Tom's beytrayal at the end of the last season.

Then we get their play-fighting-flirting which seems to paper over cracks, but one small gesture (a cycnical gift from Tom followed by Shiv's public snide comments) and the paper gives way to the actual chasm between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I never really paid attention to the whole "who will win" debate as I found it to be a redundant question, but Kendall seems to be doing it.

He'll still be an empty shell by the end, but he seems to be revelling in pulling everything off while the others are falling apart. He's almost preying on them. The more Roman **** up the easier it will be to get rid of him, and Kendall is observing it with a smile on his face, masking his glee as encouragement.

With Shiv I think he knows she's helping Mattson as well, but he doesn't have to do anything there as Shiv will dig her own grave.

He's gone full psycho. Not like Logan, but his own unique type of monster capable of being at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I was half expecting someone to go off the edge of that balcony last night. Especially after the fight between Tom and Shiv, I was thinking Tom is going to just jump off the building here.

That chat with greg and the norweigans was funny stuff, big beardy guy calling greg "the slim reaper" due to his ability to sack people.

That conference call for the sacking was gas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think Tom could still save himself. He's a self serving toady, but he isn't quite as fundamentally damaged as the rest of them: he still can have moments of self-awareness and realisation.

Kendall is clearly out to screw them all, especially after Roman threw him under the bus last week: "I love them, but I'm not in love with them."

Anyway, thought there was great stuff in the episode again: the incredibly bitter truths being told between Tom and Siobhan, the aggressive passive aggressive show-down between Kendall and Matson - "unbelievable numbers bro, literally unbelievable".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'm expecting Kendall to be thinking he's won then someone outs him for his involvement in the waiter's death. There's no coming back from that regardless of whether he gets charged or not. I reckon it ends up that they all lose and one of the people they've treated like crap ends up on top. But maybe that's too unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Gerry putting Roman in his place is always enjoyable,particularly most recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone think the "India numbers" thing might be a fabrication by Mattson & co.??

The PR woman gave that information up very quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It depends whether Mattson is actually a fool or a genius I guess (which seems open to interpretation after that episode)

If he's a 4D chess playing genius.. then maybe he knew Kendall would walk into the trap and attempt a reverse Viking and presumably make Mattson even more super rich...🤷

Or maybe he's just a drug addled idiot who's failed upwards and hasn't a clue what he's doing 😂

Anyway, another fantastic episode imho....the scenes with Tom and Shiv were both devastating and electrifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't think so because the perception of bogus numbers could hurt GoJo very badly and linger around it even if it weren't true. So unless I'm missing something that would not be a good basis for a ruse.

Possibly the PR woman just decided on the spot to sabotage Matsson since she was hardly 'taken in' by the barely-even-trying attempts of Ken and Roman to comfort her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Wouldn’t surprise me, Mattson is always three steps ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Is Shiv ever going to tell Tom she's pregnant?? Is she still pregnant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I think its all part of a massive ruse by Mattson.

It makes zero sense that he keeps Ebba around if his dodgy behaviour was actually real, I think its all lies. Imo he told Shiv to test her loyalty to him and assess whether she could be the face of Gojo US if the takeover goes through. Ebba telling the boyos straight off the bat about bogey subscriber numbers makes zero sense. Him admitting it to Shiv makes zero sense as it completely screws his position. He either wants to try and get out of the deal altogether or make it look like there is no buyer, tanking the stock price then he buys it significantly cheaper. Or perhaps he will join forces with the Pierce family with them taking a slice of Waystar and him getting the remainder. Its all too perfect for the Roys for it to be reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

So is Gerry really sacked or was it rescinded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

My impression was Roman frantically tried to row it back but Gerry has had enough and wants lots of Moola to stop revealing certain photos Roman might not want public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Lots to take from it. When the power went to their heads they'd forgotten all the graves they had dug for themselves in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

This sounds like an excellent shout. And it would be amazing TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Or perhaps he will join forces with the Pierce family with them taking a slice of Waystar and him getting the remainder. 

I thought back in the Nan Pierce episode she was playing them somehow. Maybe they've been in cahoots from the beginning.

Terrific episode. Really sets things up beautifully for the last two episodes and still impossible to know what way things are going to fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Shiv and Connor having another bad day, Kendall and Roman on top, doubtlessly it will change again next week. The episode felt sadly realistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Awesome episode!

Connor Roy - delusional till the end 😂

When it comes down to it though, Ken is too weak to make the big calls and Shiv can't be trusted and is too erratic anyway. Roman is the only choice I think. Dominated every scene and willing to make the decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

I'm glad it's ending but I'd like to see a spin-off show with Tom and Greg behind bars, sharing a cell in a max security prison because of the cruises dumbf*ckery they got enmeshed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I don't get how they can just "call it"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

It becomes very difficult for them to change course and announce another winner once one has already been called like we saw in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Most boring episode of this season anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

You don't threaten Greg the Egg! He doesn't do coffee anymore

Also, the Con-heads will rise again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

HBO to sell merch of Matsson's pyjamas after the series ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Every episode, EVERY episode i want to punch Greg. He serves no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Pretty sure that’s how fox called Florida which put George W Bush in charge (or could have been his second term). There were a few months after when Al Gore was challenging the decision, but ultimately he gave up because he didn’t want the nation divided after 9/11. That’s my recollection anyway, 20 years ago…

• Advertisement

Exactly. It's kind of an amalgamation of what happened in 2000 as you described, and kind of a flip on 2020 where Fox was the first to call Arizona for Biden, which enraged Trump. Even though Fox was ultimately correct, they called it earlier than they should have which significantly affected Trump's claims that he was winning and upset a lot of their own audience. Here we see Kendall & Roman agree to call some states whose results are still in question because they need Mencken's help to block the GoJo deal, which gives Mencken the chance to claim he's won the election and announce himself as President-Elect.

Bonus fact about the 2000 election, Fox called Florida which put George W. Bush in the lead. The head of Fox News's Election Decision Desk? George W. Bush's first cousin, John Ellis.

It's why the title of this episode is "America Decides". Media and public perception has gotten to a level where America simply doesn't always decide.

Post edited by Penn on

Advertisement