Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it was a great first episode. Looked like Ken was just going to be crushed again, but then you can see it starting to turn in his favour a bit.

Having Lisa on his side. And I'd say Shiv will join Kendall in episode 2.

That's why I gave up initially. Some of the characters just grated on me too much - I found it difficult to watch. But I came back to it, and I strongly urge sticking with it. It's just so good. The characters change too. People who were awful come across as more sympathetic eventually, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sure, appreciate that happens. I think I realised pretty quickly I just had no interest in their world and you do need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There is definitely a lot of businessy talk that can be hard to follow. General rule is, if Brian Cox's character is angry at something, it's bad. If he's peacefully calm and being sarcastic about it, it's really bad and he's f*cking furious on the inside.

Hah, spot on!

Yeah the business speak grated on me too, but you get used to it. Like Line of Duty and all the police acronyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

remember her in Alien v Predator from around 2004

Loving it but its really obvious they had difficulty getting everyone together during covid. The most glaring one was shiv staying in the car by the plane.

I quite like Ewan coming in to probably try destroy the company entirely. The "who will be the next CEO" discussion is getting a bit old. I like this new angle. Poor ol Greg is getting taken for yet another ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Is Kendall not worried that his dad will expose the car incident and ruin his life?

I think Marcia alluded to it and Logan made the bomb analogy. I'm sure it will come up at some stage but Logan is also implicated in a cover up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nicholas Braun is a giant when he's standing next to Jeremy Strong. Wonder if there's anything in the Three Penny Opera poster in Greg's place, that was dangling when the lawyer called over, if it's a playful reference or something more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Best show for years but tonight's episode, for me, dragged a fair bit.

I didn't notice the Covid limitations. Does it matter? (Sorry, that looks snarky - not meant to be, genuine question).

Logan's brother is great. Of all the "I don't care about wealth, I care about humanity and the environment" characters, he's the worst. I love James Cromwell.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Caught up on the first two episodes earlier. Man, that title music is just so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

More likely Shiv didn't want the paparazzi getting photos of her hugging her father as she's still undecided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No surprise it has been renewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought this week was a bit more like it.

First return to Greg and Tom's weirdo bromance. It was great to see more of Tom generally in the episode - the most interesting character for me.

Great episode this week for sure!

I think there's some serious **** stirring going on behind the scenes. We're lead to believe Logan sent the donuts but there's also evidence that he did not. We're lead to believe that Kendall probably set up that Nirvana song being played during Shiv's first speech but it could have easily been someone else. Tom behind both maybe?

• Advertisement

that scene in the limo...good tweet bad tweet...that was some cringefest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Kendall is such a dork, he's no more ready to run a company that size than I am. But I agree that it could well have been someone else that sabotaged Shiv's speech. Unlikely to be Tom though I don't think he would do that to her. Roman might.

Yeah its definitely a bit far fetched but Tom is doing some bizarre things. I think he was testing both Shiv and Logan by suggesting he'd take the fall. He was seeing if they were willing to let him do it. Now that he's confirmed its true, he knows they don't really care about him at the end of the day. I think he's gonna have some strong moves coming up.

I've since seen on reddit that there are empty boxes, from speakers most likely, in Kendall's office and he asks an underling to do a shopping list. The speaker stunt was almost definitely him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Ha yeah I just saw the same thread on Reddit. Looks like it was definitely Kendall barring an unlikely coincidence or someone setting him up.

Yeah sure Shiv went in to Kendall's office to spit in his diary and it was littered with speaker equipment boxes.

Think I need to watch that episode again though as it seemed Logan has Shiv lined up to take the fall as he said something about Jerri.

Also at the event where she met Kendall and he said to her "as I see now, you're the one now"....so I was wondering did he mean it used to be him that was lined up to take the fall but now Shiv.

I'm definitely a bit confused about what's going on there so a rewatch would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

The speaker boxes were all in Kens Office so would be fairly confident it was him. Plus Tom wouldn't know who Nirvana are.

Really enjoying the series but Ken's new attitude of being all self loathing and 'cool with the kids' and generally frantic in his actions and behavior are all a bit forced. Doesn't really fit with the character - he seems very unhinged. Maybe all a ploy

• Advertisement

I think the fact it all seems forced is the point. Kendall is trying to be "woke" and come across as the righteous man who sided with the women and stood up against "the patriarchy", which in this instance is his father and his company. But a lot of the media and social media are calling him out on it, that it's an act and just a few weeks ago he was every bit as complicit as the rest of them.

Wasn’t there a scene though where some security guy walked into Kendall’s office eyeballing him and said something like ‘i’m watching you’

Gives credence to the theory that Kendall didn’t set the speakers up.

Although could have gotten an assistant to set them up.

Loved Logan’s numerous ‘Tell them to f*ck off’ lines in the episode. FBI? Tell them to f*ck off! :D

The security guy was the one who helped cover up the waiter's death that Kendall caused. He said something like "I know who you are" to Kendall. It was probably planned by Logan to remind Kendall that he has that over him to use in extreme circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Tom with the best line of the episode again when explaining the Department of Justice is “gonna be like a combine harvester in a wheat field of d**ks”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pretty sure it was Kendall with the speakers. Even though the show is about backstabbing, it tends to be pretty straight up and doesn't do red herrings generally - that's why Kendall's about face at the end of season 2 was a shock.

For instance, we know that Tom is up to something because we literally saw him try to make a sneaky phone call. We tend to see character's machinations in front of our eyes, rather than surprise gotcha stuff.

• Advertisement

I rewatched Season 2 before the start of the new season, might not have caught him only for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Of course it was Kendall with the speakers.

What annoyed me about it though, is that there is no way in hell anyone is getting about 4 or 5 of those speakers in to the building unannounced or unseen and just being able to set them up for the town hall

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

great episode. loved hugo line to shiv saying he was always routing for her 'in his own little way' haha.

kendall is def using again he is all over the place. tell them to f off. haha logan is fantastic!!!

regarding getting the speakers into the building, when Kendall was entering the building through the service entrance he said something along the lines of "hey man doing the heavy lifting yeah" to a guy who was wheeling stuff on loading trollies. That was probably the guy that got them in. Kendall's a wealthy person and would know most people so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to set up (paying other people to do it). My issue was the all the boxes in his room afterwards. If he had gone to that trouble of setting them up why not also hide the evidence but then maybe he wanted them to see it was him.

Oh yeah there was no point hiding that it was him. They would have known right away it was him. Leaving the boxes in his office is pretty much taunting them.

Oh thats a good one on getting them in, never thought of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

I've been really enjoying the HBO podcast:

This week they had one of the writers on (Lucy Prebble) who made some really interesting points.

She says that one of Jesse Armstrong's goals is to make the show as close to real life as possible, and to have the scandals believable and comparable to real world events. She also says that the dialogue in the crises meetings should be believable (people making non-comital gestures, jokes etc), rather than Sorkin-esque (her term) eloquent dialogue.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hbos-succession-podcast/id1522790936

Meh tonight. Adrien Brody a Bezos I think? Billionaire "bro".

I think Kendall has always tried to be down with the kids - remember in episode one him trying to sound all "street" in a board meeting and the attendees despising him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tom the star of the episode again with his preference for the Jewish prison with Kosher vending machines and sturdy bunk beds.

• Advertisement

Good episode. Awkward silences between father a son. Nicely done.

Great scene walking up that hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

i thought Adrien Brody played the character really well. All that fake niceness, when all he really cares about is the money.

Bezos has zero bro/cool factor going on though, he's a total dork, so I wouldn't have thought the comparison would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Really enjoyed it and thought Brody was a great addition.

The Logan/ Kendall dynamic was fascinating and the silences and body language was so revealing. I don’t think the show gets enough credit for the subtlety of the mannerisms and the speech inflections - it really adds to the depth of the characters.

Tom is a great character, totally obnoxious and yet I still have sympathy for him , in particular the moment when he realised Greg was going to get a better outcome for him.

I also really liked the scene with Roman and Gerri where she explained to him the damage the tattoo photo could do to him - it just shows how focused Roman is on his father’s approval that he hadn’t really considered it at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kendall Roy’s War Room Condo in ‘Succession’ Just Hit the Market for $23.3 Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Adrian Brody was indeed excellent in that role , he even got a king Kong joke in

Jeremy Strong is such a good actor. He's incredible

Same old again this week. Starting to get wishy washy. Not as meaty as earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Really enjoyed that one myself. Definitely a bit heavier on the comedy side than previous episodes but that’s no bad thing in my book. The two scheming daughters angle wasn’t overly original but executed well enough. Just when I think Roman is the most likeable one left, he throws the little tantrum about keeping the private jets to remind us that they’re all the same.

Greg had me in stitches with his “affectionate suing” gem. One of the lines of the season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

Suing Greenpeace. 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nearly forgot that one, possibly even better than suing his grandad.

Advertisement