Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with low irons

Options
  • 27-04-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Has anyone just gone and taken half the clubs out of their bag and played the ones they are used to ...from the 7 iron up im good but just cant hit 6 or below even hybrid ...
    trying to use a 5 hybrid today and i was terrible and i have had lessons ..im seriously thinking ill leave 7, 8, 9 pitcher wedge and driver along 6 hybrid in my bag and leave out the rest for a few months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I haven't, ditched the 3 and 4, put in a mizuno fli-hi 3 iron, re lofted as a 4 iron. That does me. But others I know have 3, 5, and 7 woods. Would that work for you.
    But really get lessons and lots of practice would be the best solution, not always practical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Has anyone just gone and taken half the clubs out of their bag and played the ones they are used to ...from the 7 iron up im good but just cant hit 6 or below even hybrid ...
    trying to use a 5 hybrid today and i was terrible and i have had lessons ..im seriously thinking ill leave 7, 8, 9 pitcher wedge and driver along 6 hybrid in my bag and leave out the rest for a few months

I have exactly the same issue. Fairway woods and anything below a 7 irons I only hit once or twice a round, excluding the driver that is. I keep them in the bag in case atm because, with placing, the woods occasionally are worth a stab if you can tee it up in the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

even the fairway woods cause me problems ..i just want to be able to go out and play with others and competitions without missing the ball ..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Define "cant hit"?

What happens? Can you hit your driver?

im good with driver ..on the range i can hit most clubs but on the course anythine below 7 i just mi**** ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fairway Woods are tough to hit off the deck. I don't bother with them anymore, my hybrid goes almost as far. I've also gotten rid of the low irons 3&4 and just use the hybrid. Much easier and consistent to hit. Most times I see people hack low irons it's because they're swinging too hard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

im good with driver ..on the range i can hit most clubs but on the course anythine below 7 i just mi**** ...

But what sort of miss hit?
    Duff, top, shank, slice, hook, etc?

Can't help if we don't know what's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

My problem with 4 and 5 irons is getting the distance from them. I really only get the same as a 6 iron for some reason even though the contact is good.
    So I keep a 4 iron mostly for shots under trees. I currently have replaced it with a 7 wood which I hit about 175yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Gerry T wrote: »
    I haven't, ditched the 3 and 4, put in a mizuno fli-hi 3 iron, re lofted as a 4 iron. That does me. But others I know have 3, 5, and 7 woods. Would that work for you.
    But really get lessons and lots of practice would be the best solution, not always practical though.

How do you find the fli-hi. Considering one as an option off the tee. Fairway woods just don't understand my swing :)

Yea great, works well on tight and hairy lies, very good from the tee hitting into narrow fairways into a wind. Like anything it took a couple of rounds to get used to it. I was fitted for clubs and at the time this was set as a 4 iron so I get about 190y. I hit the 7 iron about 160y so it fits nicely in the set.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »

But what sort of miss hit?
    Duff, top, shank, slice, hook, etc?

Can't help if we don't know what's wrong!
    ill duff them shank and top them..its hard explain but i have had lessons ..and after 5 mins will hit them grand ..
    ill go to the driving range and hit 50 balls good with 5 hybrid ...i just cant use it on the course ..whatever happens i dont know ..i am consistent with 7 and higher

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

ill duff them shank and top them..its hard explain but i have had lessons ..and after 5 mins will hit them grand ..
    ill go to the driving range and hit 50 balls good with 5 hybrid ...i just cant use it on the course ..whatever happens i dont know ..i am consistent with 7 and higher

very similar for me and driving range. I think with DR you are setting up to the ball differently until it comes good and then just keep hitting away. Out on the course you have all that to do each shot. there is something not right that gets fixed with repetition but you can afford to work through it in a round.

Its probably something simple like ball position.
    What does the pro say during the lesson?

7i & higher will all pretty much be middle of your stance, long irons, woods and driver will get progressively closer to your front foot for more of a sweeping blow.

If you play them all off the same middle point you will have to try to compensate during your downswing.

Note that you can play all clubs from the same position, but that position has to be a more forward one and you will need to move towards the target more on the downswing for the higher irons.

BTW If you are leaving your lessons and dont know how to fix the problem then you should be going to a different pro.

i have gone to a couple of pros ..in fairness they were good..like i said at the driving range ill hit balls all day ..but on the course once i take out the 5 hybrid or 6 iron ..in my head i go here we go again and i just fluff it ..
    im very confident with 7 +...
    im just thinking of getting rid of a few clubs from my bag so i can enjoy game more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

i have gone to a couple of pros ..in fairness they were good..like i said at the driving range ill hit balls all day ..but on the course once i take out the 5 hybrid or 6 iron ..in my head i go here we go again and i just fluff it ..
    im just thinking of getting rid of a few clubs from my bag so i can enjoy game more
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but use them more. Practice with them mostly, but keep using them on the course. A badly hit 5 or 6 iron will still go a fair distance.

Another trick is to actually hit them softer with less backswing An exercise I often do with long irons is just to takeawy with the wrists until the club is parallel with the ground and it really forces you to use your body turn to hit the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but use them more. Practice with them mostly, but keep using them on the course. A badly hit 5 or 6 iron will still go a fair distance.

I wouldn't give up extra distance from the fairway if I could help it. Unless you drive the ball miles a 7i and up will make every course very long.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give up extra distance from the fairway if I could help it. Unless you drive the ball miles a 7i and up will make every course very long.
    Yeah. It's worth persevering with them. They can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I'm glad im not the only one this happens to!

Starting golf this year and have the same problem. I find that the worst misses are when I start attacking the ball. When I slow it down and aim to hit really slowly o get much better contact with the hybrid.

Have abandoned the woods for now

yeah if i just touch the ball it goes further ..

yeah if i just touch the ball it goes further ..
    That's your starting point so. I suspect it's the difference between what you're doing on the range and on the course. On the course you're trying to get the most of it and over swinging whereas on the range you're more relaxed and just swinging easy.

• Advertisement

It could also be the lie, at the range everything is perfectly flat. If you have a slight incline it can cause mis-hits, picture yourself at 90deg to the ground, that way your swing plane will be correct....Hard to explain but Google hitting from an incline and it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Why not try a single length set? Long irons much easier to hit.

So you go to a lesson and the first longish iron you try you hit it fine, same for the hybrid?
    Or you struggle like on the course and the pro tells you something and then you can hit it well?

Another trick is to actually hit them softer with less backswing An exercise I often do with long irons is just to takeawy with the wrists until the club is parallel with the ground and it really forces you to use your body turn to hit the ball.

+1 on use them more
    -1000 on flipping at them with your wrists!

The club gets to parallel by rotating, not lifting it with your wrists, this will put you in an awful positron to hit the ball.

By all means swing slowly and smoother with them until you get the hang of them, but don't make a special swing for them.

Gerry T wrote: »
    It could also be the lie, at the range everything is perfectly flat. If you have a slight incline it can cause mis-hits, picture yourself at 90deg to the ground, that way your swing plane will be correct....Hard to explain but Google hitting from an incline and it might help

yeah the lie could have a lot to do with it

GreeBo wrote: »
    +1 on use them more
    -1000 on flipping at them with your wrists!

The club gets to parallel by rotating, not lifting it with your wrists, this will put you in an awful positron to hit the ball.

By all means swing slowly and smoother with them until you get the hang of them, but don't make a special swing for them.
    Nah, I'm not suggesting he does that with a normal shot. It's just an exercise to get your body to turn properly. You literaly can't hit the ball that way unless you turn. It takes the arms out completely.

Nah, I'm not suggesting he does that with a normal shot. It's just an exercise to get your body to turn properly. You literaly can't hit the ball that way unless you turn. It takes the arms out completely.

Each to their own but a wrist takeaway is exactly what you don't want to ingrain

By all means use a half swing, but it should be half a proper swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Hybrids with shorter steel shafts I find are a good alternative. Like hen's teeth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Sometimes people get it into their head that they can't hit a club. They are ok at the range where it doesn't matter where the ball goes (and it's easy to fool yourself that the shot was good even though it was offline). On the course you have differing lies and penalties if you go off the fairway too much. Sometimes you then start to worry about where the ball will end up and that affects your swing (you'll try to steer the ball or look up etc.). Try swinging freely and let the ball go where it likes.

• Advertisement

stockdam wrote: »
    Sometimes people get it into their head that they can't hit a club. They are ok at the range where it doesn't matter where the ball goes (and it's easy to fool yourself that the shot was good even though it was offline). On the course you have differing lies and penalties if you go off the fairway too much. Sometimes you then start to worry about where the ball will end up and that affects your swing (you'll try to steer the ball or look up etc.). Try swinging freely and let the ball go where it likes.

Its also very hard to chunk it off a mat...with long irons and woods/hybrids a mat can artificially give you the required flatter swing by allowing the club to slide into the ball.
    A steep swing on a mat can give you an ok shot whereas the same swing on grass will be a big old chunk.

Advertisement