Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which antivirus software?

Options
  • 27-04-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

My Avast expires tomorrow after a 2 year subscription.

It's €30 to renew for one year.

What do people use? Is there a free one that's safe? Can a free one ever be as good as a paid one? I have virus problems with a previous laptop and It's just not worth the risk for a few €.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Why not use the free version of Avast?

Have a look at this review:
    http://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus-reviews/142/guide/the-best-free-antivirus-protection-of-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://chart.av-comparatives.org/awards.php?year=2018
    afaik Avast, Avira, AVG all have free versions.

Personally, I'm happy enough with Microsoft one that's included in Windows 10. This, and keeping the system updated, and using dodgy sites with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Cordell wrote:
    Personally, I'm happy enough with Microsoft one that's included in Windows 10. This, and keeping the system updated, and using dodgy sites with care.

Microsoft works very well for me. Never had a problem and it's free!

Well, it's not exactly free, you pay for it when you pay for Windows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

sophos home is my choice.

very good, and you can manage all home pcs from one console. think its 5 or 10 home pcs completely free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

AVG free, its grand. Antivirus is a waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

360 Total Security is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Microsoft works very well for me. Never had a problem and it's free!

+1. It's all you need.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/december-2017/microsoft-windows-defender-4.12-174847/

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

AVG free, its grand. Antivirus is a waste of money

What do you mean by a waste of money?
    Do you mean free versions are enough protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Aren't all the free versions only 30 day or 60 trial versions though?

• Advertisement

No, the free version is free forever.
    The ones free for 30 days or so are trial versions of the paid versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Cordell wrote:
    No, the free version is free forever. The ones free for 30 days or so are trial versions of the paid versions.

Sound, the 5 year Panda Internet Security deal I was using finally expired a couple of months ago, I've just been using a few 30 day free trials to keep the laptop safe while I decided which paid version to go with. I must check out the free versions instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Microsofts built in AV plus a monthly (or more often if necessary) scan with Malwarebytes.

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Sound, the 5 year Panda Internet Security deal I was using finally expired a couple of months ago, I've just been using a few 30 day free trials to keep the laptop safe while I decided which paid version to go with. I must check out the free versions instead.

Just to make sure: free version and paid version are not the same! The free version usually lack features like firewall and may have ads or some disabled options or some other kinks intended to convince you to get the paid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I ditched the likes of AVG/avast! etc. for the inbuilt Windows antivirus/firewall (Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender) years ago and never had a problem.

Steer clear of McAfee and the like that are often bundled with a new computer. They're often harder to remove than viruses themselves :pac: They're quite intrusive too, constantly begging for payment after short trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

if running Windows 10 just use native Defender will all features enabled.

Also make sure your Windows firewall is always enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Windows Defender, let it update and do it's scans.
    A Malwarebytes scan every other week is no harm either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I use Bitdefender never had a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

tina1040 wrote: »
    What do you mean by a waste of money?
    Do you mean free versions are enough protection?

Yeah exactly, they are good enough for the ordinary user, unless you have something serious you need to protect, paying for AV is a complete waste of money and still only offers limited protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I have downloaded Avast Free. I have Windows 10....Can Defender be used along with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

tina1040 wrote: »
    I have downloaded Avast Free. I have Windows 10....Can Defender be used along with that?

No use one or the other. As soon as you install Avast Defender will automatically switch off.

You can't have more than one antivirus, as said before, Microsoft antivirus will turn itself off when you install a 3rd party one.

Yeah exactly, they are good enough for the ordinary user, unless you have something serious you need to protect, paying for AV is a complete waste of money and still only offers limited protection.

That is true, and even more true is that these days most malware actually require victim cooperation; being vigilant on what you click and/or download is the key.

Advertisement