Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Crime Podcasts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That was the best S&S podcast that I listened to, absolutely horrific but really well done. Not a huge fan of that podcast these days but that episode is unreal. Magnotta is an absolute psycho.

Listened to a good few of these recently - they are good but the way the host speaks in absolutes is a bit annoying. Describing people with clear severe mental health issues as 'pure evil' etc is just a bit jarring - I understand they have done evil things but pointing out 'the sound of pure evil' in a person's voice etc is just a bit juvenile I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That was the best S&S podcast that I listened to, absolutely horrific but really well done. Not a huge fan of that podcast these days but that episode is unreal. Magnotta is an absolute psycho.

I couldn't listen to that. It was grim. Christ, I thought the greyhound bus cannibal was bad !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

optogirl wrote: »
    Listened to a good few of these recently - they are good but the way the host speaks in absolutes is a bit annoying. Describing people with clear severe mental health issues as 'pure evil' etc is just a bit jarring - I understand they have done evil things but pointing out 'the sound of pure evil' in a person's voice etc is just a bit juvenile I think.

The guy is a massive prick. He is also a liar. He said to his fanbase; contribute so and so much and he'd drop ads; he didnt.

He is also extremely low class and doesnt show any deference or respect to the victims or their families. Plenty of quality True Crime podcasts out there, but S&S isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The guy is a massive prick. He is also a liar. He said to his fanbase; cotribute so and so much and he'd drop ads; he didnt.

He is also extremely low class and doesnt show any deference or respect to the victims or their families. Plenty of quality True Crime podcasts out there, but S&S isn't one.

Agree. He revels in the gore and salacious stuff. Casefile def the cream of the crop of true crime podcasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

gmisk wrote: »
    The Irish one mens rea isn't bad at all

Just listened to the first episode. Does the quality improve? It sounded like it was recorded on a speakerphone in an empty warehouse! 5 mins in I was wondering if my ears could take the hissing and popping for a full episode bit I stuck with it.

Surprised it's just a single narrative block. No other contributor, no soundbites from news etc.

If I didn't known the Graham Dwyer case I definitely would not have seen it through.

• Advertisement

not exactly true crime but similar vein (i.e. if you like Casefile content and presentation style you'll probably like this) and pretty good. covers espionage/spying to assassinations by Mossad etc to the SAS.
    only a limited number of episodes at the moment. starts with the background and hunt for Osama Bin Laden.
    Covert takes listeners on a heart-pounding journey through the most dangerous military operations of all time. From the assassination of Osama Bin Laden and how two Israeli snipers foiled Syria’s plan to develop a nuclear bomb, to the real story that inspired the movie Black Hawk Down and the harrowing tale of a British Major’s escape from 2,000 heavily armed militants, you'll be brought to the front line of history’s greatest special forces missions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just listened to the episode of Sword and Scale about Luka Magnotta. ****ing hell. There is disgusting audio there of a brutal murder that is just grotesque. It goes on far too long as well, just a guy suffering as he dies. Absolutely horrified after it an feel sick. Disgraceful how they gratuitously covered this, I wont be listening to the show again.

I glade I'm not the only one - I was feeling left out not loving S&S.

I'm a fan of Wine and Crime, definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and you have to give their style of humour a chance, but I really like it, plus you get to learn about wine!

Listening to Men's Rea, the audio is giving me a headache - does it get better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

glasso wrote: »
    not exactly true crime but similar vein (i.e. if you like Casefile content and presentation style you'll probably like this) and pretty good. covers espionage/spying to assassinations by Mossad etc to the SAS.
    only a limited number of episodes at the moment. starts with the background and hunt for Osama Bin Laden.

Thanks, I'll check this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thanks, I'll check this out

Me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The Mens Rea podcast has joined the murder.ly podcast network. The second last episode was over three hours long and featured about a dozen mini episodes from various different true crime podcasts. A handy way to get a quick taste of a bunch of possible new podcast. Even if you don’t subscribe to any, there are a bunch of interesting stories in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement