Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for Mon to Fri rent a room?

Options
  • 27-04-2018 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Ok, living in a nice 3 bed house in Dublin that I own. Spend a lot of time in long term girlfriends house close by so my house generally empty. We spend time in my house too. But mostly hers. She has a lodger that does shift work and rarely sees I am thinking of doing the same. But they are old friends and she charges her feck all as they get on great.

No way am I letting it as a whole house as the rules for landlords are a nightmare and we are not married yet so not losing control of my own house! So I want to rent a room, or maybe 2 to shift workers or Monday to Friday workers in local multinationals that would go back home elsewhere in Ireland after their work week.is done.

Rooms generally going for 600 a month in my area but I don't want a 7 day share. And the demand is there so I can do it no problem.

I want to be fair to a licencee but want to be fair to myself too for giving up some privacy and space.

If a 7 day let could achieve 600 a month what would be a fair price for a Monday to Friday or someone doing 3 shifts one week and 4 the next?
    Would it be pro rata for days? Or maybe 500 instead of 600?

House is nice, they'd be welcome to whole house and facilities but not sure of the price I should charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

We did this in London, and my partner did it while working in another part of the UK (essentially, we sublet our second bedroom Monday-Friday while having under a similar setup elsewhere and then we all went back to our family units at the weekend.) If I remember correctly, a simple rule of thumb is 5/7 of a typical monthly rent, and generally including bills (as they're unlikely to be using 50% of the electricity, etc). Usually Monday-Friday lets were slightly less than 5/7 outside London. I'd feel like 400 would be fair in the situation you're describing, esp given the person will presumably have running costs of a family home, and probably will be weighing it up against travel costs, so it can't be too expensive.

A key thing is to set rules - obviously their room will be their room and you won't be using it at the weekend, the question is whether you might be happy for them to stay up the odd weekend if it arises. A lot depends on the person - if its someone with a wife/husband and kids at home, realistically they'll always be gone first thing Friday morning and not back till Monday evening. If its someone with a different setup, they might want a bit more flexibility.

Ultimately though, you do have someone else in your space, so its worth making it someone you get on with. I'd also be inclined to get a cleaner every second week - the little niggles of having someone else in your space can build up, and it makes it nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Will you have access to the room over the weekend. Like could your friends stay there if you eavted them too?

If not I would charge 6/7 of regular rent and if so 5/7 of regular rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

No, it would be their room nobody else would be using it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, it would be their room nobody else would be using it at all.
    So effectively you have no use of the room. Just charge them for 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

5/7 sounds fair. But setting rules about being out of the house at weekends being tied to the price is essential.

Friends of mine had a sublet who said he'd only be there 2 nights a week. They agreed a price on that including bills. 2 night turned to 3, to 4, to staying weekends & going out and coming in late, having friends stay over etc. Then got upset when they asked for more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

If you are renting out a room to someone they will be leaving belongings (Clothes, laptop,/desktop, work stuff, jewelry & personal items etc) in the room over the weekend while they go back to family, visit friends etc. So in essence they will be storing these in the rented room while they are away. Charge them a weekly rent and you can divvy up the bills as you see fit. Simple situation.

Advertisement